Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > My Range Rover > Another New Owner.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Stuart-

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black
Another New Owner.

I've been over on the RRS forum for some time, but having just bought an FF as well, I arrived here too. So I thought I'd pen a little tale to mention how that came about.

I was contemplating selling my 06 Sport and getting a new shape Sport. Then the topic cropped up about the dodgy 3 litre crankshafts and I thought better of that idea. Especially after an exchange on Twitter with LR. Dropping £35k+ on a car that might rack up a £20k bill any moment held little appeal.

I wondered what else I might buy (and a bonus if it spent less time in the garage than an LR vehicle) and investigated the Audi Q7, various big Jeepy things of various brands and Bentleys. None held the appeal of an RR. I decided what I really wanted was a full fat L405, but the £45k used entry level seems a lotta wonga. Better to wait two or three years till they come down. So I wondered what a late model L322 FF might be like since they are about half the money of an L405. But it would need to be proper spec, black and probably the best model I could find.

Then a chap posted one here for sale that looked a likely candidate. As is often the way, I expected him to be at the other end of the country, but no, he was about four miles away. Thumbs Up

So to cut a long story short, after much friendly haggling and poker faces, I acquired an unabused FF 4.4TDV8 Autobiography Black with 50 odd k miles. Spec is off the scale and it is a lovely example.

It had some large Overfinch wheels on that were not to my taste, so I quickly rectified that with some nice L405 wheels. A chap from Gumtree drove off tonight smiling with the old wheels, so the cost of wheel upgrade cost me about £300 net. It lacked sidesteps so I got some deployable ones that are going on in a week or so. So here we are up to now.

I must say, what a nice thing the Full Fat is. Similar to the untrained eye to a Sport perhaps, but a totally different animal to the Sport. At over £10k less than a new shape Sport, they represent pretty decent value. And with the 4.4 V8 it goes like a rocket! Thumbs Up

So after parting with a large bundle of hard-earned notes, I thought I'll perhaps pass the Sport along and get a few quid back in the coffers. But my wife then decided that she rather likes our Sport, and in the absence of the white three door Evoke she would really like, she'll hang on to the Sport, thanks very much. Rolling with laughter

So I now get to flog her Chrysler 300C which we bought new in 05, which last time I looked had gone down in value from almost £30k it cost in 05 down to about 87p.

On the upside, we are now a two Range Rover family, so we now have the joy of our small fleet spending twice as long in the local garages (since 05 our Chrysler has only needed MOT, tyres, some bushes, brake pads and an alternator). Shocked

I have an old Mercedes Sprinter van if both end up in dock together.

But behold, I'll be that smiling bloke in the V8 Range Rover whose kids are watching telly with their new bluetooth headphones in the back. I pray we dont spend too much time on the hard shoulder. Handy to have a telly while you are waiting for the AA when you break down though...... Cash in the Attic anyone? 2017 4.4 SDV8 Autobiography in black
2018 D300 SE Velar in champagne
Spiffing wheel centre caps available

Post #463836 8th Jan 2018 9:21pm
dolph34

Ireland 2015 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Corris Grey

Looks well , deployable side steps are a must in my humble opinion. Car looks much nicer with them tucked away and my lady friend ( 5'2") finds she can now get in and out without the need for the car to be in access mode as the deployables are that bit lower when deployabled. 2015 4.4 AB
GSXR 1000 K5
R1 1998

Post #463838 8th Jan 2018 9:26pm
Stuart-

I agree with you. I'm 6 foot plus and I find it a step down. The seat edge would soon suffer without them. My wife seems to manage but asked, "Why no steps?" the first time she got in. So I researched steps and the fixed black ones looked a bit meh. The deployable ones look the business so I found a new set from Matford at what seems reasonable money, and they are going on soon.

The only thing I wondered is the box the deployable steps came in is damn heavy. Gotta be 100kgs plus. That's like carrying two slim women or one large bloke around permanently. Will I notice? It remains to be seen. Perhaps because they are fitted low, rolling weight difference will be minimal. We hope. 2017 4.4 SDV8 Autobiography in black

Post #463840 8th Jan 2018 9:40pm
Dolphinboy

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Atacama Sand

Only drawback with the deployable steps are they need to be removed if you want to jack it up (to change a puncture for example) - not something I would fancy doing on the side of the road (at night 😳☠️😱)

Post #463844 8th Jan 2018 9:53pm
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

looks great stuart, like looking at a clean version of mine.. Thumbs Up

btw, jacking up without taking off the deployable steps can be done with a bottle jack or a trolly jack by jacking from the front or the rear.. ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #463846 8th Jan 2018 9:59pm
GGDR

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Stornoway Grey

I remember a couple of years ago when first I saw a L322 deploy it's steps outside my daughters school as if some spacecraft had landed and the airlock opened automatically. I saw the world's coolest car double in cool value and whilst I always had a yearning for a L322, I think it was that moment that a tingle became an absolute itch for me.

I eventually cured that itch and got my 322. It came with every option I wanted, surround cameras, HD sound, electric rear seats - all but the deployable steps. I got a set, courtesy of Flashman (thanks again Tom) and fitted them myself Thumbs Up with a bit of help on the forum of course.

So about the weight...

The 100kg weight penalty will be easily pay itself back. I'll explain:

I calculated you'll get the equivalent in monetary value - at least - of a 5kg weight saving each time you use the steps. This is made up by part smugness and part "this is literally by far the coolest thing ever" feeling every time you walk up to your car and press unlock.

And you can double that calculation to 10kg if you have a friend/colleague/client witness this marvel too.

The only downside is I can't decide which gives me a better feeling, pressing unlock and watching the steps pop out, or feeling the 4.4 pull like a train from just 1500rpm when you sink your foot. Wait theres the 1200w sound system. Oh and the pop up rotary gear knob. Or the cooled seats on a hot day. Or the Maglite I just found fits perfectly in the console cubby. or - I could go on and on....

So yes - you'll notice. But you'll not feel the weight one bit.

Greg Cheers, Greg
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
2011 Vogue SE 4.4 with lots of toys in Stornaway

Post #463847 8th Jan 2018 10:11pm
Stuart-

Greg, excellent post. I think we are on the same page. Thumbs Up

But where do you put your iPhone? It has no cubby hole for that. Yes I know the blue teeth mean you can leave it in your pocket, but I like to see it..... 2017 4.4 SDV8 Autobiography in black

Post #463853 8th Jan 2018 10:36pm
dolph34

Ireland 2015 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Corris Grey

Front cup holder is perfect for a Samsung s8+ and you can face it towards driver for easy reading. 2015 4.4 AB
GSXR 1000 K5
R1 1998

Post #463856 8th Jan 2018 10:57pm
GGDR

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Stornoway Grey

I have mine on the top of the dash using this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0192W...&psc=1

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/im...L1020_.jpg

Greg Cheers, Greg
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
2011 Vogue SE 4.4 with lots of toys in Stornaway

Post #463860 8th Jan 2018 11:36pm
PaulH

Northern Ireland 

Congratulations, beautiful l322, starting to think I should have done the same... Confused

Post #464385 13th Jan 2018 10:15am
John w

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Autobiography Black TDV8 Barolo Black

Very nice Stuart. I hope to be posting a similar set of pictures in a few days, unless snow stops play Rolling Eyes

Does it have full size spare ?
What colour is the head lining ?

I like the deployable steps, must go shopping for some Cool Too many toys, not enough time

2011 4.4 TDV8 AB Black

Post #464834 16th Jan 2018 11:10pm
mpirie

Scotland 2013 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Luxor

'unless snow stops play'

With a Fullfat, snow starts play Whistle

Mike

Post #464868 17th Jan 2018 9:22am
John w

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Autobiography Black TDV8 Barolo Black

Laughing
I like yor thinking but it's not ideal to view a car in.
It could make the drive home entertaining though Very Happy Too many toys, not enough time

2011 4.4 TDV8 AB Black

Post #464871 17th Jan 2018 10:07am
Stuart-

John w wrote:

Does it have full size spare ?

It has its original spare, which is a Westminster type wheel I think a 20".

John w wrote:

What colour is the head lining ?

A darker creamy colour than the lighter part of the seats.

John w wrote:

I like the deployable steps, must go shopping for some Cool

I found mine from Matford via eBay (item eBay Item No. 311916978024), I called him up for a few bob more off. Only £400 which seemed cheap as some sellers have them at a grand and a half. Looks like Duckworths have them too at similar money and he is a nice chap to deal with as well. 2017 4.4 SDV8 Autobiography in black

Post #464879 17th Jan 2018 12:14pm
j_rov

England 

I don't think they're 100kg... i fitted them on my own without much effort really...

Regarding jacking, just leaving the door open a crack prevents them retracting if you don't want to remove them. __
2018 L405 3.0 TDV6 Vogue SE Fuji White
2000 4.6 V8 HSE Oxford Blue
1994 3.9 V8 Vogue Ardennes Green - resto project

Land Rover History:
2010 3.6 TDV8 Autobiography Stornoway Grey
2001 Discovery 2 TD5 GS
1999 Discovery 2 V8i XS
1994 Discovery 300Tdi
1993 Discovery 200Tdi
1989 Range Rover Vogue SE 3.5EFi
1976 Series 3 2.25
1977 Range Rover 2 door 3.5 Carb