Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > Clunk from underside on acceleration - Slipping on tarmac?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
aja500

United Kingdom 2019 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Aruba
Clunk from underside on acceleration - Slipping on tarmac?

I know this is vague but does anyone have any thoughts on this?

About 4 weeks ago, I accelerated hard in my 2007, L322 4.4 Petrol to get past a learner driver while heading up hill. I floored it and there seemed to be a clunking sound which came from underneath the car - No warning lights or ongoing noises thereafter.

Then last week, I was going up a relatively steep country lane (nothing too major) and had to pull in to the side to let another car get down. As I did so, I tried to accelerate, and my front wheel (passenger slide) begin to skid, struggling to get traction, yet it only sounded like gravel under the tyres.

Admittedly, I only have about 2-3mm left on these tyres, (need to get a new full set all round), but I was still surprised that a 4x4 FFRR would slip on a bit of gravel!! It was seriously struggling to find traction!

Any ideas what could have caused either of these two issues?

And do you think they're related?

Many thanks

Allister

Post #464111 11th Jan 2018 2:13am
nicksaab

2016 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Corris Grey

With the clunking it could be anything but if it was me but I would get someone to put her up on some ramps and check over. A clunk usually suggests something is moving under load that shouldn't be (stating obvious - sorry!)

Things I would check

BallJoints and arms
Suspension bushes
Prop Shaft
Exhaust Mountings
Drive shafts
Transmission & Engine mounts

Now, if your drive shaft on the passenger side is worn then that possibly could be the cause of your slipping but I could be wrong and its just unrelated. Far cheaper and safer to fix preventatively though than deal with the hassle of a breakdown Current Fleet:-
2018 Discovery 5 3.0 HSE
2021 Ford Ranger Wildtrack
2019 Ford Mustang Bullitt 5.0 V8
1993 Defender 90 200TDI Pickup

Gone - not forgotten
2016 L405 4.4 SDV8 Vogue SE
2012 L322 4.4 Westminster
2004 L322 4.4 V8 Autobiography LE
2000 P38 RR 4.0 HSE (ex Clarkson test car)

Post #464120 11th Jan 2018 8:49am
aja500

Thanks for the great, detailed advice and suggestions of things to check - It's much appreciated.

The car's due a service so I'll get those things checked over.

Many thanks again

Allister

Post #464136 11th Jan 2018 10:54am
Cooper1275

Ireland 2006 Range Rover Vogue SE Td6 Buckingham Blue

Was it a consistent clunking sound or a big clunk?

That list by Nicksaab is pretty comprehensive.

The TC can slam when getting locked up if you plant your foot sometimes in auto boxes.
When was the last time you did a filter or fluid change on the transmission or fluid change on the diffs?

Post #464144 11th Jan 2018 12:00pm
Dolphinboy

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Atacama Sand

I would check the drive shaft. There have been reports of play in some (holidaychicken?)

Post #464201 11th Jan 2018 8:09pm
aja500

Cooper1275 wrote:
Was it a consistent clunking sound or a big clunk?

That list by Nicksaab is pretty comprehensive.

The TC can slam when getting locked up if you plant your foot sometimes in auto boxes.
When was the last time you did a filter or fluid change on the transmission or fluid change on the diffs?

I'm not sure Cooper 1275, I'll have to check but up until May 2016 the car had always been LR Main Dealer serviced annually, fully in line with manufacturers recommendations, it's only in this last 20 months that I've let it get past 12 months, as the car now only covers 4k miles per annum - I'll definitely check to see when these were last done.

Last edited by aja500 on 12th Jan 2018 12:11am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #464237 12th Jan 2018 12:05am
aja500

Dolphinboy wrote:
I would check the drive shaft. There have been reports of play in some (holidaychicken?)

Will get this checked also Dolphinboy...... Just out of interest and to make sure I don't get ripped off, if I ask my local LR Main Dealer to check the drive shafts, fluids as Cooper1275 suggests and the bits that nicksaab suggests, how much labour would you expect to be involved?

One hour or more?

Many thanks

Post #464239 12th Jan 2018 12:10am
HS66

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Buckingham Blue

Sorry for the thread resurrection but did you ever get to the bottom of this?, mine has started to make three of four knocks but only under hard acceleration from standstill and the traction isn’t the best either.
At first I thought it was due to the rear subframe bushes which I’ve replaced as they were in a state but it’s still doing it.

Post #576650 20th Dec 2020 2:00am
TomV8

United Kingdom 2004 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Bonatti Grey

When the prop shaft centre bearing failed on my 2004 L322 it made a load of vibration and clunks between 20mph and 30mph when going up steep hills. It’s worth checking early because it is easier to check and cheaper to replace than a torque converter! I know because I paid for a gearbox rebuild and new torque converter first, but then still had the clunking at 20mph to 30mph. Doh! 2004 L322 4.4 V8 Vogue Bonatti Grey
(205,500 miles and counting.......)

Post #576653 20th Dec 2020 8:19am
HS66

Thanks Tom, prop and UJs are in my check list when it’s in for something else next week I will ask them to put it in the ramp and have a look.
Mine is weird, it doesn’t seem to do it at all while driving normally, only when accelerating hard from a standing start, which isn’t something I do often but noticed it last night as I did have to floor it away from some lights before 2 lanes went into 1 so I wasn’t stuck behind a very slow Honda Jazz driver any longer Laughing .
Heard it and tried it again a couple more times and it did the same, I’d say 3 or 4 knocks in very fast succession then it stopped.
I guess it could be the prop centre bearing starting to go as it only seems to do it when there is no load on it then full load, once it’s moving it doesn’t seem to do it at all.

I don’t know what is causing it to break traction so easily in the wet though either, I thought both issues might have been caused by the rear subframe bushes initially but it’s still doing it after they’ve been done, the car does feel like it handles better after having them done and it doesn’t feel like it’s about to fall over anymore!.
Maybe it’s just a combination of not having great tyres in it, it has some general grabber ATs on the back and some new cheapies on the front, I want to get a new set of wheels in it as it’s currently on Sport alloys that I don’t particularly like.

Post #576670 20th Dec 2020 11:31am
aja500

Hi Ollie

I've looked back through the cars file and also tried to refresh my memory as it was a couple of years ago. I had nothing done to the car for around 6 months following this post, and even that was just an Inspection 2 service, which leads me to believe (as is often the case with these cars), that it was something that seemed to happen once or twice, but then never showed itself again. A bit like the occasional warning lights I've had from time to time during my 15 years of different L322 ownership, which then go away..

I always keep invoices for all car related stuff, so I can't have had anything done. So it obviously came to nothing.

Whatever's wrong - I hope you manage to sort it. I'm sure someone else here will have some idea, always lots of great knowledge on here.

Have a great Christmas also.

Best

Allister

Post #576702 20th Dec 2020 4:33pm
HS66

Thank you for checking Thumbs Up , I have to admit I’m scratching my head a bit, it didn’t do it today either.
I’m taking it in for an AC pipe next week so will ask if they can put it on the ramp quickly and see if anything looks amiss.
The bad traction could well just be the tyres in my case, I’m hunting for a set of original era alloys for it so only put a cheap pair on the front of the 275/40/20 Sport alloys it has on it at the moment.

I know what you mean about things popping up once or twice then never again, they can be quite an infuriating ownership experience at times!, still I knew what I was getting into, if I’d have wanted to play it completely safe I’d most likely not be posting on a Toyota forum as we speak Laughing .

Have a great Christmas.

Post #576712 20th Dec 2020 5:16pm
aja500

Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Post #576714 20th Dec 2020 5:25pm
HS66

Well mystery solved for the couple of knocks when pulling away when accelerating hard, it’s the prop centre bearing in the very early stages of going so will order a new one and put it on over the Christmas break.

If anyone can recommend somewhere to order one for a TDV8 that would be really helpful as most of the ones I’ve found online are for the petrols!.

Post #576829 21st Dec 2020 2:47pm
northernmonkeyjones

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black

Duckworthparts: Robin.Hall@duckworth.co.uk

Will be able to source you a real one.👍🏻 There is nothing that can't be fixed with a hammer😜😜
FFRR 4.4 SDV8 Autobiography Santorini Black.
Fiat 500x 1.4 multiair Lounge 2015
2010 LR D4 Commercial 2.7 TDV6

Post #576833 21st Dec 2020 3:21pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>