Home > Technical (L322) > Bl00dy FBH again
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
JAYBOY

Wales 2017 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Corris Grey
Bl00dy FBH again

Evening all. PLEASE HELP IF YOU CAN

My car went into Land rover in December as the FBH wasn't working. They had it for 4 days changed the whole system and the fuel supply pump. Shocked So i was told. I picked the car up and tried it, I was sure that it wasn't working as no smoke or any fumes were coming from the car. The head Tech came out and said it fine sir we've had it working and ushered my on my way. Whistle I thought i would give it a try over the festive period, so on a -4 morning i tried it. Guess what Banging Head Banging Head

So i rang Land rover and booked it back in. Took the car down on Monday and they have called me today. Shocked
Sorry sir we have changed everything and we can't get it working we are stumped.

Are there any superior beings amongst us that can shed some light on this for me please.

Thanks all for reading my rant.

Jay 2020 Porsche Panamera Turbo Hybrid (V FAST)
2017 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 V8
2018 JCW Mini Cooper
2018 Skoda VRS

Post #303469 7th Jan 2015 6:41pm
Haylands

England 2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

PM LR customer relations on here and ask them to intervene, there should be some master tech then can send to have a look, even heard of them sending the car back to the factory to get fixed....

Just insist it's sorted.... Pete

2002 L322 Vogue 4.4 V8 Epson Green, Ivory over Aspen Interior (Fatty Offroader) Sold
-Click for Project Fatty off roader-

Post #303473 7th Jan 2015 6:58pm
JAYBOY

Cheers Pete

I will call Mike or is it Ryan now in the morning. 2020 Porsche Panamera Turbo Hybrid (V FAST)
2018 JCW Mini Cooper
2018 Skoda VRS

Post #303476 7th Jan 2015 7:00pm
Sandyt

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Buckingham Blue

Not much good suppose but they had mine in in December changed the pump but there was a blockage in the fuel line or I should say one of them which prevented it from working also mine shows no fumes whatsoever when running but it does get warm - good luck

Post #303559 8th Jan 2015 12:24am
kingpleb

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Bonatti Grey

They need to check the FBH is actually working when tested directly. The webasto's are easy to do this to as they are simple devices. From there they can then trigger it from the SDD/Testbook (IIRC) and make sure the main control unit for the car is actually sending the signal out.

It would not surprise me if from what your saying, that the unit has been marked in the CCF as not being present.... FFRR MY06 facelift With TDV8 Alloys Zeros/ATR's
Mantec Sump Guard, Rigid Load liner, MY10 BT upgrade.

Post #303573 8th Jan 2015 2:35am
Cam-Tech-Craig

England 2015 Range Rover SVAutobiography SDV8 Loire Blue
Re: Bl00dy FBH again

JAYBOY wrote:
Evening all. PLEASE HELP IF YOU CAN

My car went into Land rover in December as the FBH wasn't working. They had it for 4 days changed the whole system and the fuel supply pump. Shocked So i was told. I picked the car up and tried it, I was sure that it wasn't working as no smoke or any fumes were coming from the car. The head Tech came out and said it fine sir we've had it working and ushered my on my way. Whistle I thought i would give it a try over the festive period, so on a -4 morning i tried it. Guess what Banging Head Banging Head

So i rang Land rover and booked it back in. Took the car down on Monday and they have called me today. Shocked
Sorry sir we have changed everything and we can't get it working we are stumped.

Are there any superior beings amongst us that can shed some light on this for me please.

Thanks all for reading my rant.

Jay

Jay, is yours still under warranty then?

Post #303612 8th Jan 2015 10:45am
JAYBOY

Craig

It is sir.

I have called the dealership this evening for an update.
They have said they are still working on it.
I asked if they have a master tech working on it as the system is not that complicated. he replied with yes sir he thinks it could be the battery. So i said change the bl00dy battery to see if thats the problem. he replied with everything takes time with this process. they have now had the car for 7 working days and still no joy. Banging Head Banging Head

I think the battery could be the cause because they did have it working at some point. If they had had the car on a charger pack it would probably work. It can't be that hard CAN IT 2020 Porsche Panamera Turbo Hybrid (V FAST)
2018 JCW Mini Cooper
2018 Skoda VRS

Post #303668 8th Jan 2015 5:24pm
martinf

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Vogue TDV6 Santorini Black

I had a problem with my FBH on my 2010 Vogue.

It went in a couple of times but still didn't work. So I pressed my dealer to sort it before the warranty expired.

It turned out that water had got into the electrics under the passenger seat as one of the sunroof drain tubes had not been properly located when the car was built. The result was replacement of a substantial part of the wiring. It took their top technician a full week to do the job.

I hope this is not your problem as the cost of the warranty claim was huge.

Post #303693 8th Jan 2015 6:39pm
sass

Finland 2003 Range Rover HSE Td6 Adriatic Blue

The FBH on my ´03 TD6 does not switch on even at temperatures below -10 celsius. Previously I was mistaken that "Pre-heating" indicated FBH as the message would appear when the ambient temperature was below +5 celsius.

My iCarSoft 930 recognizes the FBH and everything appears to be OK with it, it is just not switched on. Pulling the FBH fuse makes the FBH "disappear".

According to the seller (the previous owner, an independent LR garage) the "brain" of the FBH should be replaced with a generic unit, as the LR-spec'd units are prone to failure. There is also a possibility that the car does not send a signal to the FBH for a reason or another. Don't know if this is true.

The FF itself is a Belgian imported HSE without the remote unit for the FBH.

The motor thermostat was changed less than a year ago by the garage. Since the colds started in late December, the temperature gauge does leave the blue section but seems to stay just above it even after longer runs. This is also my first winter with a FF.

Do you have suggestions?

Post #303865 9th Jan 2015 2:09pm
ironhorse

United Kingdom 2003 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Giverny Green

they can all be tempremental because they dont run for long enough (30 mins is not long enough to get rid of the carbon build up in the burner chamber) they are connected to temp senders ect and have there own failsafe shutdown system if anything is wrong,they are also very voltage reliant.
when they are on boats for central heating they run for 5-10 hours at a time and need very little maintance and last for years because usally all they have is just an on/off switch and non of the car assosiated crap to interfear with.

landrover/bmw ones are just harder to bench test because of the k-bus from the car needs to be connected to start it up.(data not voltage)
a diagnostic tool can be worth its weight in gold with these because you can test every componant on the FBH WITH IT STILL ATACHED TO THE CAR. also you can force it to work using these things proving if its the heater or the car thats at fault

they are very complicated bits of kit to people/dealers who know nothing about them, but once you can get your head round how they work and run a few simple tests with a multimeter and a stop watch can diagnose what is wrong with them and usaly its a simple fix becase all the parts are still available and also the control boards can be sent away tested and repaired fairley cheepley.

you will have to start with checking the temp sender behind the grill and bypassing it,also connectors/wiring to the FBH its self

BUT START WITH THIS

read how the ff heater is suposed to work

fullfatrr.com Wiki > FBH

then read RAVE manual
you will once again see what its suposed to to and what talks to what to make it start and run

once again read and digest these posts ,the cars might be different but the heater and operation is very much the same

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=71982
http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=100297

make sure the battery is fully charged and kept charged then and only then start the diagnostic checks

take a special note of french mikes checks

take your time dont skip anything

and also

let us know how you get on

nige

Post #303884 9th Jan 2015 3:57pm
JAYBOY

Update

Chaps

An update on the car.
I had the car back and it did work for a couple of minutes and turned itself off.
So it went back in to the dealers.
They kept it for a few days and said it fine after they changed the battery.
So off i trotted and picked it up. Took the car home waited a few days for a really cold morning and guess what no FBH.
I rang the dealers and showed them my lack of faith in them having it back a fourth time.

They assured me that they could Fix it.
So they picked the car up last Tuesday and they have put one of the master techs to work on it, to be fair he rings me a couple of times a day with updates of what they are doing.

He's been really good and at one point had it running for a full cycle and smoked the workshop out.However he has only managed to get it working once in four days.
They have wiped the cars programs and installed all new changed the battery again to one of the new types. Could be a gel one.
Driven it 20 miles locked it up for 4 hours after a software update.
They are now going to trace all of the wiring to see if the problem is that.

They have changed the whole system more than once.

In the mean time the weather is bloody freezing and I'm driving the defender everywhere.
I hope they can sort it next week.

They have had the car now a total of 17 days and I'm still none the wiser. Big Cry Big Cry Big Cry 2020 Porsche Panamera Turbo Hybrid (V FAST)
2018 JCW Mini Cooper
2018 Skoda VRS

Post #307739 24th Jan 2015 9:16pm
Cam-Tech-Craig

Don't they make US look good Jay Whistle Whistle Whistle Wink Thumbs Up

Whistle Whistle Whistle Thumbs Up

Post #307765 24th Jan 2015 10:13pm
JAYBOY

Bow down Bow down

If they can't fix it next week i will have to have a rethink.
Its only done 24K so i will ask Land rover to intervene. 2020 Porsche Panamera Turbo Hybrid (V FAST)
2018 JCW Mini Cooper
2018 Skoda VRS

Post #307774 24th Jan 2015 10:33pm
DMRR

South Africa 2009 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Stornoway Grey

I have the batteries in my fob the wrong way round for 11 months of the year so my FBH doesn't run by accident....it's not that complex a system so I'm a tad confused by LR struggling so much Rolling Eyes Land Rover Addict
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Previous
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
2009 5.0V8SC Autobiography
2006 4.2V8SC Autobiography
2004 4.4V8 Vogue

Post #307777 24th Jan 2015 10:35pm
Cam-Tech-Craig

Don't know how they stay in business Jay...

I can only presume you are NOT a priority as its poorly paid warranty work Whistle Whistle Whistle

Post #307780 24th Jan 2015 10:37pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>