Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > My Range Rover > Going Double R...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
Vogue

United Kingdom 

Sorry - my mistake - I saw the "Now Gone" at the bottom of all your posts... 2021 L405 Vogue SE 4.4 V8 DIESEL ~ #17

Post #468377 13th Feb 2018 7:04am
counter of beans

England 2012 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Santorini Black

Really enjoying your posts, Greg - keep them coming! Any plans to change or modify anything?

Post #468412 13th Feb 2018 11:09am
GGDR

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Stornoway Grey

Cheers COB.

The next instalment; March 2017.

Disaster. Only six weeks in!

I live in central London. I'm not talking leafy streets north or south London inside the North Circular, we live bang in the middle, a stones throw from Oxford Circus. West One as it’s often called. Lived around here for 20+ years. It’s fantastic, busy, we’re in the middle of the greatest city in the world and we love it. Parking though, has its limitations. Around here, even a three million pound house won't necessarily come with any off street parking let alone a garage. A leasehold garage around here sold for £90k. No house, just a lock up garage.

But it's not so bad and as a resident I do have a golden ticket fixed to my screen. Well, it's not actually gold, it’s a Westminster parking permit. So the Range Rover sleeps overnight on the mean streets.

One Sunday we're heading out and as I walk over to the car, from say 20 metres, I see something's not right. The blood drains from my face. I see the rear quarter panel severely bashed in. Cars whizz by as usual. When did this happen? This morning? Last night? 5mins ago?

There’s no note on the car either and I’m in shock. I’m staring at, finger in the air £2000 worth of damage. It's devastating. It's been so long waiting to finally land a Range Rover and, just six weeks in, I’ve gone from the high of highs to the low of lows. It may as well have been torched the way I felt. My daughter’s with me, she’s only 10. I'm trying to play cool in front of her, set a good example when disaster strikes and all that - thinking I need her to see that material possessions don’t matter that much, and I tell her it’s only metal, we’ve got insurance and it will all get fixed. It’s killing me to keep it all in but playing cool outwardly might have actually helped.

It’s parked in a bay outside a Natwest, maybe they have cameras? It’s a bank after all. But it’s Sunday.. There’s a Pret on the other side, maybe they have something. I ask the young Spanish girl behind the counter. She’s more worried about Brexit than my car. I explain there’s a camera pointing, maybe at my car. Catalina goes and checks but reports back that the cameras are all connected to head office, there’s no way I can see footage. I could write in to head office, would I like any coffee, sandwiches, cakes? Maybe next time Cat. In hindsight, I should have asked if it was a sympathy free coffee. Didn’t sound like it was.

In the meantime, I’m googling for Westminster CCTV locations and I also visit the pub over the road. Nothing. But I do spot a camera covering the entrance of a residential building opposite. It’s near the car and I didn’t spot it earlier. The car is not all that close to the camera. Maybe, just maybe that camera angle might be covering my car? I contact the building manager and explain. Carl's sympathetic, he parks his own car in that spot sometimes and so he takes my number, says he’ll call later. I feel sick. I ring the Police and report as a hit and run.

I’ve got no CCTV, no witnesses, nothing. But all’s not lost when, a few hours later, Carl rings back and says he’s run through 12 hours of ‘tape’ and found something from the night before. He's got a good view of my car on the camera! My heart is pounding now and he says come over. And bring a USB stick. I’m an hour away and when I get there he says you’ll never believe this. I saw your car hit. 830pm the night earlier. But that wasn’t all. He can see the car that hit me. He tells me, get this - it’s another Range Rover. O.M.G.

I created a post here at the time http://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic42187.html?highlight=hit that goes through those few weeks here. I was surprised to see it’s had 11889 hits as of today.

The car was indeed another Range Rover and it’s visible on the CCTV. It was a black, early model (but 2010 facelifted) TD6 L322 with Overfinch rims. The driver was caught on tape too when he got out and we have a good shot of him

...BUT was no reg number visible on the tape. I still say tape. However the images showed quite a number of unique details of this RRR (Rogue Range Rover) and, to cut a long story short, his car was located with my paintwork all over his front, caved in bumper.

Once the car had been identified, you'd have thought it would get a lot easier. Sadly that wasn't true, it turned out his insurance had lapsed. My insurers and Police got involved on a hit and run basis. You'd have thought a car in central London with expired insurance would flag up all kinds of warnings given all the ANPR about. Not so, which was a real surprise.

While all this was all being investigated, I was driving around with the rear quarter all smashed in for a good two months. Really ruined my first few months of ownership. Then, finally a few days before a trip overseas, I got a call from Aviva. They'd made enough progress with an investigator and were authorising the repair. So I got a few quotes quick smart, dropped the car at the bodyshop and went to Australia for three weeks.

I got back and picked it up. A little snagging had to be done but they did a good job. You can see the repair before and after here:

They say you make your own luck and I believe that’s often true. If I hadn’t have gone to efforts to find the camera, got a copy of the CCTV and extensively pursued this in a number of ways, I’d have lost my hefty excess and I’d be paying 30-50% more on my premium for the foreseeable.

continues.... Cheers, Greg
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
2011 Vogue SE 4.4 with lots of toys in Stornaway

Post #472213 11th Mar 2018 11:07pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12