Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Photos, Videos & Media > BBC: JLR cuts Range Rover production amid diesel uncertainty
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
GGDR

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Stornoway Grey
BBC: JLR cuts Range Rover production amid diesel uncertainty

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-42779699

Quote:
Jaguar Land Rover will cut production of some vehicles amid uncertainty over Brexit and changes to taxes on diesel cars.
The company will scale back output of Range Rover Discovery Sport and Evoque models temporarily later this year.
Last week, JLR said its global sales hit a record in 2017, but that the UK market was "tough".
Vehicle makers have blamed Brexit confusion and a hike in diesel taxation for a general fall in UK car sales.
The two Range Rover models are made at the company's Halewood plant on Merseyside. Output will be reduced in the second quarter of 2018.
JLR said the car industry continued to face a "range of challenges" that were hitting consumer confidence.
 Cheers, Greg
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
2011 Vogue SE 4.4 with lots of toys in Stornaway

Post #465637 22nd Jan 2018 9:35pm
Ajay(UK)

United Kingdom 2015 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Indus Silver

Slightly misleading headline should read:

“JLR to temporarily scale back production of Discovery Sport & Range Rover Evoque Models”

And perhaps point out that Solihull can’t build Range Rovers and Range Rover Sport quick enough!

Sometimes I dispise the media Shocked

Andy. 2015 L405 SDV8 Autobiography, Indus Silver with Black Pack.
SWMBO: 22MY Defender 110 HSE X Dynamic, Gondwana Stone.
Gone: 2014 Discovery 4 HSE Luxury Firenze Red
Gone: 2006MY Java Black TD6 Autobiography
Gone: 2013 Jaguar XKR Convertible, Italian Racing Red with Ivory Seats
Gone: 2010MY Stornoway Grey TDV8 Vogue SE with RSE
Gone: 2008 Disco 3 HSE, Hybrid Tv + Retro-fit RSE System & DVD
Gone: 2003 Epsom Green 4.4i Vogue, LPG, Mk4 Nav, BMW Bluetooth Phone, Hybrid Tv Tuner,

Post #465639 22nd Jan 2018 10:02pm
Arch Stanton

England 2018 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Corris Grey

you only despise the media sometimes..? First time FFRR owner

Post #465645 22nd Jan 2018 10:34pm
GGDR

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Stornoway Grey

Or another, more accurate headline:

JLR Cuts 24-hour production line to a 'mere' 16-hour production as the risky PCP frenzy of 2017 edges off (a little)

. Cheers, Greg
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
2011 Vogue SE 4.4 with lots of toys in Stornaway

Post #465648 22nd Jan 2018 11:38pm
Red Merle

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Aintree Green

To be fair, sales of new diesels have been hit disproportionately since the diesel hysteria hit the news and the government has taken the opportunity to increase their tax take on new diesels; new LR sales are heavily biased towards diesels. That media feeding frenzy was never likely to be without it’s victims.

Post #465652 23rd Jan 2018 12:46am
rvbush

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

The Governments idiotic knee jerk reaction to the diesel issue that isn't there will go down in history as one of the biggest own goals since the industrial revolution.

We've got a massively successful innovative, world leading car industry, let's Censored it up!!

For the record, with Euro 6 compliance, THERE IS NO DIESEL ISSUE!! Further more, how the hell do these morons expect to meet the CO2 targets without diesel? Given electric is still very new and the national grid wouldn't be able to support a wholesale move that way in any case (where's the investment in that then?).

The long term answer lies with hydrogen fuel cell power, but we have to solve the problem of very large scale, cost effective, production of hydrogen. Until then, get over it and keep running diesels. Drives:
2010 FFRR TdV8 Vogue - Stornoway Grey
2010 FFRR TdV8 Vogue SE - Zermatt Silver
1998 BMW E36 M3 GTII

Post #465661 23rd Jan 2018 8:04am
Bill

United Kingdom 

RV Bush is right euro 6 compliance puts diesel neck and neck with petrol and streets ahead of many older petrol cars on the road. So actually govt should of incentivised joe public by increasing the tax on ten year old petrols ! My 20hp diesel grass cutter chucks out more SHoneT than my FF

Even die hard FF ers have questioned on this forum , should they buy diesel or petrol. Question

All that said... I am of the view that JLR are next to hopeless, they haven’t made any sort of positive claim about their euro6 vehicles...all they do is to winge and complain about govt taxation, this press release is part of that process of JLR’S internal ‘blame game’ . JLR have failed to fight their corner- They, their customers , and their workers will all pay for that failure. I have written to them twice now warning of the outcome, but hey my letter goes in the trash bin along with all the other unsolicited mail they get. At least I tried. Their PR dept need a good kicking.

Let’s not think about all the finance companies with unsold cars on their hands if this witch hunt by treehuggers inc & ill informed governments continues. That will be a shock in a year or two- in truth I’m hopeful we will all wake up before then. In the meantime let’s hope the lack of demand for diesel will force the price down at the pumps Mr. Green

Grumpy Filters are in fact so good that in certain circumstances, when the ambient air is already polluted, a diesel car will tend to extract more particles from the air than it emits. Emissions Analytics worked with........etc etc

He who dies with the most toys wins...

Post #465709 23rd Jan 2018 3:30pm
Philip

2019 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Aintree Green

Euro 6 unfortunately doesn’t reflect real-world emissions though...

Post #465721 23rd Jan 2018 5:58pm
Red Merle

How do we know that the “real-world emissions” test does?

The whole purpose of doing the original test in laboratory conditions was to remove all the variations of roads, traffic, temperature, driving style, local climate and so on. There seems to be a lot of general acceptance of the glib words “real world” and little in the way of doubt on how such high ideals are ever going to be fair and consistent in practice.

Post #465736 23rd Jan 2018 7:22pm
Bill

United Kingdom 

Real world?
Euro 5 or 6 or none at all puts them on a level playing field ....for comparison

From what I have seen real world for RRFF are higher than the tests but no where near as high as some of these cheap diesel cars

Will locate the web site Filters are in fact so good that in certain circumstances, when the ambient air is already polluted, a diesel car will tend to extract more particles from the air than it emits. Emissions Analytics worked with........etc etc

Post #465740 23rd Jan 2018 7:44pm
counter of beans

England 2012 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Santorini Black

Trommel wrote:
Euro 6 unfortunately doesn’t reflect real-world emissions though...

Agreed, but in the real world there are direct injection petrol engines that emit much higher particulate levels than a diesel with DPF. In the real world here in Southampton there are massive cruise ships that are berthed belching out fumes, there are diesel trains, buses, and trucks. Not to mention kerosene burned at Southampton airport (do aeroplanes have any kind of emissions control?), oh yes and Fawley oil fired power station with a huge chimney............

I simply do not believe that Euro 5 and 6 diesel passenger cars should be targeted in isolation. But then, a few years ago it was CO2 that was the sole enemy, so I guess joined up thinking is too much to expect.

Post #465744 23rd Jan 2018 7:54pm
bembo449

United Kingdom 2002 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Adriatic Blue

there was a ditty of info a few years back about big ships creating more pollution in a day than all the worlds land based vehicles do in a year ! or summat like that , ive only ever believed that goverments have these so called experts create these reports so they can bash the motorists over the wallet ! Charge us more and more for everything vehicle related , global warming then became climate change and now its smog in big cities causing our children to be born with 2 heads and 5 arms etc , what would they do if we all stopped driving for one day ? would cost them billions and billions in lost revenue

Post #465746 23rd Jan 2018 8:03pm
Bill

United Kingdom 

Official

FF’s are ok , it’s wet logs and coal on those log burners...

Gove planning clampdown on smoky stoves

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/michael...d6526eb8f0

Bill Filters are in fact so good that in certain circumstances, when the ambient air is already polluted, a diesel car will tend to extract more particles from the air than it emits. Emissions Analytics worked with........etc etc

Post #466577 30th Jan 2018 11:06am
Red Merle

It’s good that the primary cause of the 1950’s London smogs, uncontrolled coal burning, hasn’t been completely forgotten in the rush to blame diesels for just about everything!

We used to live next door to someone who would burn what ever he could get his hands on, pretty much all year round, not giving a to**. We even had to give up having children’s garden birthday parties (late May, early June) as the air would be too foul with smoke (and this was in weather where the children wanted to use a paddling pool!). Yet, surprisingly, unless you’re in a smokeless zone, there’s no protection at all.

I’d welcome some sensible regulation Thumbs Up

Post #466580 30th Jan 2018 11:39am
UK Marine

England 2003 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Zambezi Silver

That’s me screwed then. I have two open coal fires, one feeds the hot water and the other one space heating further away in the dining room, and a log burner that also contributes to the hot water / central heating.

We are off the mains gas grid and won’t use oil because it’s smelly, inefficient and very expensive also we don’t live in a smokeless zone. Smokeless coal smoulders it doesn’t burn so is very disappointing when it comes to heating a room, so I hope the government is going to pay to have my house ‘updated’ to another in fashion (at the moment - remember all the fuss about log burners) heating system, or me and my wife will freeze over the winter in our pre Victorian (not made for modern heating systems) house.

Once again Londoners and townies are ruining it for the rest who, like me, live in the countryside. ______________________________
Simon

Range Rover Classic 3.5 efi - Gone
Range Rover Classic 3.9 efi - Gone
Range Rover Classic 4.2 LSE - Sadly gone
Land Rover 110 3.5 - Gone
Range Rover P38a 4.0 SE - Pleased it's gone
Range Rover P38a 2.5 DHSE - Just sold
Range Rover L322 4.4 v8 Petrol - Current

Post #466587 30th Jan 2018 12:35pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>