Home > Technical (L405) > Front Suspension knocking on MY16.5
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
peekay

2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Corris Grey
Front Suspension knocking on MY16.5

Hi all,
I have been looking through past posts and they seem a bit old and relate to older model years so hopefully ok to start a new thread.
I have a MY16.5 and I have had for the past 6 months a knocking noise coming from the front. It can be felt through the wheel and through your feet/pedals (some of the time) and has got progressively worse. It has already been in to dealers twice and they have said they can’t find anything wrong, but it is going back in tomorrow for a different fault and will get them to look again as it is so much worse I can’t see how they won’t hear it!
So my question is, on the old threads it seemed to point to older cars (upto MY15 I think) suffering with problems from ARC block but from these threads I am led to believe it was resolved from MY15 onwards. The symptoms sound very similar so could this still be an issue. Has anyone else experience similar with later cars and if so has anyone found out a solution to the problem?
Many thanks in advance for any help that can point me in the right direction.
Paul

Post #466906 1st Feb 2018 10:51pm
AndyS

United Kingdom 

I can't help I'm afraid but I have a 16MY car with a similar knocking problem from the front nearside. Seems to happen more when wheel drops into a pothole or rut rather than just normal knocking on uneven surfaces. Not sure if you have a similar noise but mine's going in on 21st so hopefully will be able to get some sort of fix sorted but prepared for the normal 'can't find anything wrong with your car sir'.

Post #467606 6th Feb 2018 9:11pm
peekay

Yes sounds similar to mine, for me it is most pronounced when travelling on an incline and the suspension has further to travel, and it is as you a knocking over bumps rather than on flat roads. Car is currently in garage, technician heard it and called ‘stutter bumps’ . Let’s wait and see if they fix it and I’ll report back. He thought it could be ARC block but said they hadn’t seen too many problems with similar cars, not really sure what that meant !

Post #467609 6th Feb 2018 9:17pm
Vogue

United Kingdom 

Never mind MY16.5, it seems to be a recurring fault with all of them - mines also doing it - and has been since I got it. It does it on uneven road surfaces - not bumps, just country roads that are uneven. It will be going in soon and also needs the heated windscreen attending to as only half of it works Sad 2021 L405 Vogue SE 4.4 V8 DIESEL ~ #17

Post #467612 6th Feb 2018 9:35pm
peekay

As an update, I have been told a part has been ordered and is on back order with no known delivery time! They are so far avoiding telling me what the part is, communication has been over email but will call and push for further information. They have said it is a servo or some kind that has been ordered. I have been put into a 3.0 TDV6 by Land Rover assist - I had forgotten how smooth a functioning Range Rover is !

Post #468402 13th Feb 2018 9:34am
WillyT

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Carpathian Grey

This is common RR suspension knock. Does it on Sport and Vogue. Mine is doing it. Will be going in on the 27th for service and I will be pushing for this to be sorted as well.

Push the dealer - they are by now well aware of this issue and know how to put it right - in most cases. Once repaired it won't last long but but will be good for a while. Previous
MY17 SDV8 SE Carpathian Grey, Black Pack, Ebony / Ebony Interior
MY15 SDV8 SE Causeway Grey, Black Pack, Ebony
MY09 RRS
MY06 RRS
Current
2007 TD5 Defender - Owned since new

Post #468503 13th Feb 2018 9:00pm
AndyS

United Kingdom 

Mine's in on 21st but disappointed to hear it may not be a permanent fix. Is this the same for MY 17 as I'm thinking of a pre reg cheapie one?

Post #468507 13th Feb 2018 9:17pm
WillyT

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Carpathian Grey

Hi Andy

Think your just round the corner from me and we use the same dealer.

Can only comment on the RR Sport which had the same issue - well documented.

I understand its similar to the Vogue knock (read Range Rover) and if the same then repairs don't last.

Yes mines MY17, been very reliable and overall very pleased. The knock is quite minor, I'm used to it but will get it sorted. Previous
MY17 SDV8 SE Carpathian Grey, Black Pack, Ebony / Ebony Interior
MY15 SDV8 SE Causeway Grey, Black Pack, Ebony
MY09 RRS
MY06 RRS
Current
2007 TD5 Defender - Owned since new

Post #468512 13th Feb 2018 9:22pm
AndyS

United Kingdom 

This is my first encounter with suspension knock in my 4th L405 and 50k miles car so I suppose I've been lucky so far. I'll be pushing the dealer to ensure they do a good job and not reporting back with 'we couldn't hear any suspension knocking sir' as they aren't the most pro active service wise in my opinion.
Would like a MY 18 but a few things not to my liking so was considering a MY17 but maybe a Bentayga will be more dependable.

Glad to hear your MY17 has been solid, seems a rare occurrence on here.

Post #468515 13th Feb 2018 9:32pm
peekay

Latest update is that they have diagnosed the problem as ‘Stabiliser Bushes’ - has anyone had experience of this? Could this be issue? Fearful that the merryground of the car in and out of the dealer may have started?

Post #469555 21st Feb 2018 12:07pm
AndyS

United Kingdom 

Mine went in this week and was returned with no faults found so will leave it for now until it gets to a stage where it does it regularly otherwise this might be a problem every time it goes back.Maybe I'll get them to wear my hearing aids on the next test drive Whistle

Post #469809 23rd Feb 2018 5:32pm
peekay

So finally got my car back and have been told the suspension fix was ACE bushes. The knocking does seem to have stopped and fingers crossed it is a permanent fix.
Cheers

Post #470190 26th Feb 2018 7:50pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1