Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > 007 Smoke Screen!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Boydonegood

United Kingdom 2004 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Ipanema Sand
007 Smoke Screen!

Hi all
Am at a loss ... again! And wonder if anyone can shed any light?
2004 TD6 L322. I’ve noticed for past few weeks a ticking when stationary but not took a lot of notice. Now when I turn off get out of car there is a very loud clicking that sounds like it’s behind the O/S/R wheel.. seems to click for a few minutes after engine switched off.. Again never took too much notice.

Car in for Mot and knocked back on a water leak from the small EGR thermostat. Replaced, no issues. I’ve now noticed clouds of smoke coming from around engine bay when running. I presumed it was diesel leak dripping on exhaust but today it’s turned to clouds!! Still have the loud clicking.
Laid under car just after starting with engine running and there seems to be a small 1” exhaust exiting behind the front N/S wheel. Smoke and diesel smell pouring out. Big time!

Turned off and put Icarsoft on it and am showing “Fuel burner, no flame”. Cleared the fault and started/stopped car a few times and now there’s no clicking and no smoke?

Is this the FBH? I thought that was for heating the cabin of the car? Plus I didn’t think I had one as I don’t have the option on the screen? Only Aux Ventilation?

Or am I getting confused?
Thanks so much

Tel Accept, some days your the pigeon, some days your the statue!

Post #467776 8th Feb 2018 6:59pm
MikeO

Scotland 2009 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Buckingham Blue

No expert on the RR but on the D3 the FBH exhaust exits exactly where you describe. It runs whenever the external temperature is below 6 degrees IIRC. It's purpose is to assist the warming up of the engine and maintaining the engine working temperature. It can also be used for auxiliary cabin heating but it's primary purpose is for the engine.

Sounds like yours is starting up and then failing? There's lots of info on the D3 site about FBH's and their issues though you'd need to confirm it's the same FBH on the L322.

Very good overview here: https://disco3.co.uk/wiki/Fuel_Burning_Heater and here www.fullfatrr.com/wiki/FBH

Post #467777 8th Feb 2018 7:14pm
Boydonegood

Thanks for the help!
Have done some more research and if I’m correct Confused
It is a FBH that’s used to get temp up. I think it should only work below -6 like you say.
I don’t think mines useable to get the cabin temp up. Well can’t find that option anyway!

Have had the car for few years and never had this issue before although I’ve never had the clicking before.

After resetting the “no flame” the smoke seems to have stopped and the clicking too. Maybe the glow plug or something needs cleaning? Will try see if there’s any maintenance that can be done to the system before pulling all my hair out! Accept, some days your the pigeon, some days your the statue!

Post #467780 8th Feb 2018 7:32pm
Grofus

Ireland 2007 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Zermatt Silver

The clicking is the fuel pump for the FBH. At least you know that works. Thumbs Up
So, some kind of FBH fault. 2007 Vogue TDV8 in Zermatt Silver with Charcoal

Post #467783 8th Feb 2018 7:52pm
Boydonegood

Ah ok. I wondered if it was the clicking trying to ignite.
My concern is maybe it’s not smoking or clicking because I ran engine for 10mins. And not because clearing the fault has fixed it!

Can’t find anything that’s cleanable or serviceable yet Accept, some days your the pigeon, some days your the statue!

Post #467787 8th Feb 2018 8:06pm
Boydonegood

Guys

What is the Red Hose in the picture... Im wondering if ive seated that back correctly when changing the thermostat.

May be grasping at straws, but I believed I had cleared fault and fixed issue as on next start of engine there was no clicking from pump, and no smoke!!!
Thinking about it last night, I run engine up for 5 mins.. Clicking and smoking real bad... Turned car off, connected icarsoft, turned ignition on but not started.. While icarsoft was loading, I turned the blower fans OFF to stop the noise. I then reset the "No flame" fault code..

Maybe it hasn't fixed it and just the case of the engine was up to temp and didn't need the FBH to kick in.. Or ive read turning the fans off may immobilise the FBH? There was no clicking (which I thought was the FBH trying to ignite).. I now know it was the fuel pump.. Surely no clicking = no smoke. No clicking means FBH wasn't being activated?

Sorry just pre guessing Accept, some days your the pigeon, some days your the statue!

Post #467819 9th Feb 2018 7:40am
northernmonkeyjones

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black

Sounds like FBH to me.

Search in here loads of info.

Resetting the fault won’t make it work again, running for 10 mins will have warmed the engine enough tsk that the fbh isn’t trying to ignite any more.

Fbh will always try to fire if it’s cold enough.

Possibly fixable, probably igniter or pcb related.

Thumbs Up There is nothing that can't be fixed with a hammer😜😜
FFRR 4.4 SDV8 Autobiography Santorini Black.
Fiat 500x 1.4 multiair Lounge 2015
2010 LR D4 Commercial 2.7 TDV6

Post #467821 9th Feb 2018 8:32am
Boydonegood

Oh cheers fella.

Yeah that was my fear (temperature meant it wasn’t coming on as aposed to being fixed!)

Is it possible to pull a fuse and bypass using it? Accept, some days your the pigeon, some days your the statue!

Post #467823 9th Feb 2018 9:05am
MikeO

Scotland 2009 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Buckingham Blue

Apologies - not replying to your last question as I don't know the answer - but Robbie has written an excellent guide to servicing and repair of the FBH for the D3/D4 as well as a diagnostics guide (link is at the top of that thread). It's not the same as the L322 FBH but it may still be helpful to understand the workings.

There is some software you can download that allows you to excercise / test the FBH with an appropriate loom.

http://www.fullfatrr.com/wiki/FBH (software link right at the bottom)
http://www.fullfatrr.com/gallery/albums/us...er_fbh.PDF (PDF guide to the workings of the FBH)

Post #467850 9th Feb 2018 2:54pm
Boydonegood

Thank you all so much for the help.
Car is still doing it every now and then, but have found turning the heater blower fan off for a minute or so, then back on stops the smoke.

Will use that method till it warms up a little outside and the FBH isn't used.

Many thanks again

Tel Accept, some days your the pigeon, some days your the statue!

Post #468873 16th Feb 2018 2:19pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1