Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > 4.4 TDV8 oil change with electric pump
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
Sandyt

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Buckingham Blue

Baltic Blue wrote:
At main dealears prices for the job, your pump has already paid you back after only one change.
I intend doing mine when it is due after Easter.
If you stood a couple of empty 5 litre containers in your bowl and filled them as it was draining, you would have no mess at all to clear up. You can dispose of old oil free of charge in 5 litre containers at my local council rubbish yard.

Cheers
Mike.

Dont you boys just put it in the fuel tank Laughing

Post #468285 12th Feb 2018 3:22pm
dingg1

2007 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.2 SC V8 Stornoway Grey

for rambles

castrol have change the name of it for marketing purposes the same stuff has a different name

edited by moderator..

Post #468289 12th Feb 2018 4:24pm
Rambles

2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Stornoway Grey

Dolph
Yes thanks. When I say I know the AFL is cheaper, that would be the Shell. What else do you think I meant.

edited by moderator.

Post #468307 12th Feb 2018 8:24pm
Fatfred

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Orkney Grey

I Got the pump from eBay, £90 delivered, connected it to the airline and went for a coffee, 10mis later, 9ltrs fully sucked out, and ordered the Castrol oil from Germany, £90 delivered, again through eBay, original land rover oil filter, £32 delivered, again from eBay, job done
Just need to master the art of posting photo’s the right way round FF TDV8 WESTMINSTER EXTERIOR DESIGN PACK 2012

Post #468381 13th Feb 2018 9:20am
dinosaurjuice

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Bournville

That looks a bit more 'pro' than me chinese pump! Did you drain the last bit out through the sump plugs? MY11 4.4 TDV8 Vogue SE

Post #468393 13th Feb 2018 9:58am
Fatfred

Yes drained the last bit from the sump but it was just a trickle, didn’t really seam worth it, don't think i will next time, the pump is Draper, so a trusted tool, can be used manualy or by an air compressor FF TDV8 WESTMINSTER EXTERIOR DESIGN PACK 2012

Post #468394 13th Feb 2018 10:10am
dingg1

2007 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.2 SC V8 Stornoway Grey

edited by moderator..

Post #468399 13th Feb 2018 10:25am
dinosaurjuice

My local garage used to have a workshop heater that ran off old engine oil. It was superb, until DEFRA introduced a £1300/year charge to use it... MY11 4.4 TDV8 Vogue SE

Post #468410 13th Feb 2018 11:50am
counter of beans

England 2012 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Santorini Black

A question: you folk doing you own oil changes - are these in addition to an oil change done at your local dealers as part of an annual service? Or instead of the dealership's service?
I'm just wondering about service records and resale values. Don't get me wrong - I'm sure you guys are doing as good a job (better, maybe) as a garage, but will a buyer see things that way? Just curious, no criticism intended.

Post #468411 13th Feb 2018 12:04pm
dinosaurjuice

Perfectly valid question Very Happy

It is an issue, re-sell value will without doubt be slightly lower. Although i cant 'stamp' the book i fill it in with exactly everything i do and keep receipts for all the parts. I've recently sold my FL2 which I serviced myself and the buyers were overwhelmed with the detail and quantity of receipts etc, far more info than a dealer stamp ever gives. And i got £1500 more for it than webuycanycar or part-exchanging it offered. I may have got £250 more if it had FLRSH.. maybe?

Its not all about saving money though, i like to know its done right and any minor problem i find on the way is addressed Thumbs Up

Will MY11 4.4 TDV8 Vogue SE

Post #468416 13th Feb 2018 12:24pm
Fatfred

I am not really bothered about resale values and main dealers stamps, likewise i keep all reciepts and log what work i have carried out, i also take a lot of pride in my cars land like to know that jobs have been carried out properly and any other bits that i may come across along the way are dealt with in the same way, my previous experience with main dealers has been quite alarming and i now have a massive mistrust with them, my previous 2006 L322 Vogue was taken to a main dealer for a scheduled service when i first purchased it, not more than an hour after dropping it off i recieved a phone call from them informing me of all the other parts that they said it also needed, the bill had now jumped to £2346.87, i subsequently told them to leave it, i took it to a local independent who examined the car only to find there was nothing wrong with it, 3 years and 45k miles later i sold it never having to replace any of the parts that the dealer said needing replacing, i have no doubt that there are some good ones out there, just speaking on my own experiences FF TDV8 WESTMINSTER EXTERIOR DESIGN PACK 2012

Post #468420 13th Feb 2018 12:45pm
GGDR

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Stornoway Grey

I did all my own servicing on my boat and I made up my own service sheets signed by owner (me) with details, dates, engine hours and parts used. I also added digital photos before and after and then clipped that sheet or sheets together with any receipts for parts to make a very nice, professional service record, all kept in a folder. Better than any garage.

Take a look:

Click image to enlarge

Greg Cheers, Greg
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
2011 Vogue SE 4.4 with lots of toys in Stornaway

Post #468432 13th Feb 2018 2:08pm
counter of beans

England 2012 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Santorini Black

Fair enough, good answers gentlemen. I know where to come for my next used car (or boat!).
Actually we've just bought (private sale, not a garage) a cheapy old Toyota Yaris for my daughter, and the seller had done all his own servicing (easy on a Yaris) and kept all the receipts too. It's proved to be a great little car.

I find the distrust of JLR main dealers quite striking, although understandable. I suppose they're referred to as "stealers" for a reason.

Post #468590 14th Feb 2018 3:19pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12