Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > Suspension Clunk and Tie rod ends
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
kbald

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Buckingham Blue
Suspension Clunk and Tie rod ends

Hi I have a strange clunk on my suspension. It doesn't happen when going over bumps etc or squeak but when breaking sometimes it will make a clunk noise from the front. I have been trying to diagnose it and seem to think its the outer tie rod ends. when the car is switched to ignition position 2, i.e. the one before starting it and you twist the steering wheel from side to side there is a clunking noise and it seems to come from the tie rod ends so I am not sure if this is normal. Also I tried them today and you can freely twist the outer tie rods using a pair of grips with no real resistance. Wanted to find out if this is normal or should they be hard to twist from side to side. Have searched on-line and some people say they should twist some say not so getting conflicting info. Thanks Current 2007 TDV8 Vogue Buckingham Blue

Post #468303 12th Feb 2018 6:43pm
fisha

2015 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Aruba

All ball joints should be able to rotate / twist around the joint but I would say the movement should be stiff but smooth.

I would expect to be able to twist it with pliers under reasonable force ( like tightening closed a fizzy bottle top) , but not by hand.

As for your noise, is it that when you brake moderately, the front makes a 'dunt' sound which you can hear (and almost feel through the steering wheel) when the brakes initially clamp on sharply, but you don't get it if you apply the brakes slowly and lightly?

(cause I get that, and have yet to figure it out Laughing ) V8 or else ...

Post #468334 12th Feb 2018 9:36pm
kbald

Re the twisting i can pretty much move them by hand which possibly means they are a bit too loose. Will jack the car up and try the 3 and 9 oclock position wobble too and maybe replace them.

Re the clunk it is when i break normally going slowly and will normally happen if i am on a slight incline going down and its like something hits something metal like the brake disc shield type sound from the outside but a thud like from the inside and you can faintly feel it through the wheel. Would also happen if i pull up to a stop and reverse up an small inclide the same. Doesnt happen everytime though but most. Its quite strange and i dont feel it under normal driving conditions but that would be because its to loud on the road. As i say no squeaks or knocks going over bumps etc. Current 2007 TDV8 Vogue Buckingham Blue

Post #468376 13th Feb 2018 6:53am
kbald

An update on this thread the clunk is no more once I changed inner and outer track rod / tie rod ends. The inners werent gone but there would be no way to get the outters off easily so did both! Seemed like the loose ball joints were hitting the brake disk shield causing the loud noise. Current 2007 TDV8 Vogue Buckingham Blue

Post #476259 19th Apr 2018 6:15pm
Sandyt

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Buckingham Blue

Check your rear bushes sounds daft but if failing they can give you a clunk that sounds as if it is coming from the front

Post #476277 19th Apr 2018 8:58pm
kbald

Thanks if any clunking returns i will start there as the front all seems solid now. For now though its all good Thumbs Up Current 2007 TDV8 Vogue Buckingham Blue

Post #476287 20th Apr 2018 5:49am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1