Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L405) > Power Steering failure whilst on the move
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
AndyS

United Kingdom 
Power Steering failure whilst on the move

My wife's been using my car whilst I've been away this morning on the school run the power steering has stopped working and it's a real strain to steer the car for a strong guy let alone my wife. This happened on the road outside the school entrance much to everyone's annoyance and very embarrassing for the wife. She was driving it normally at the time and had done about 7 miles at that point.
Parked up straddling the pavement and whilst calling Land Rover Assist the car shut down normally with the stop start system and then when it started a few moments later the steering appeared to work normally.

LR Assist have been out and diagnosed a poor battery earth that caused an 8v reading on the computer which appears to make the cars steering shut down. They cleaned up the terminals and declared it fit to use.
Does this seem at best strange and at worst downright dangerous? I'm not sure the issue has been sorted by cleaning terminals and the wife no longer wants to drive the car in case it happens again as she has lost confidence in it.

Post #469812 23rd Feb 2018 6:43pm
Alistair

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

Shocked sounds a bit worrying to me

Post #469819 23rd Feb 2018 7:16pm
memzy88

United Kingdom 

It happened to my colleagues car back in August. Its an 2014 Vogue SDV8. It popped "Power Steering Assistance Reduced" fault while driving, switch off/on the engine cleared the fault and it was fine for another 2 weeks. It then started to happen more frequently and finally come to a point where switch off/on didnt help. Car went to dealership, they said it was due to the low voltage readings, replaced the battery, cleared the grounds and handed it back. It drove fine for a week then fault re-apperead, it went back to the dealership and this time they have replaced the steering rack. No issues since then. 2017 Range Rover SDV6 AB
2021 Aston Martin DBS superleggera
2017 Aston Martin DB11 V12 - Sold
2021 Tesla Model 3 Long Range - Sold
2014 Range Rover SDV8 - Sold
2014 Bentley Continental GT Speed - Onyx Black - Sold

Post #470059 25th Feb 2018 9:22pm
AndyS

United Kingdom 

Memzy that's very helpful as this gives me a benchmark to compare.
I, too thought of the battery and as it's coming up for 3 years old I considered that to be a potential problem however, if I have a recurring issue and have also replaced the battery at least I can quote your remedy.

Post #470078 25th Feb 2018 10:13pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1