Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L405) > Panoramic roof air leaks took a month to fix
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Brightontrader

Panoramic roof air leaks took a month to fix

Hi, i am new here and kicking off with a serious moan, sorry.

Late January my 66reg vogue with 6,500 miles on it developed,a,screetching noise above 45mph, unbearable at 50.

Took,the car to Harwoods Lewes, they were not interested and intimated that they would be if I had my 1st service, also that i should call assistance, i did and an engineer chap arrived and we spent 2 hours driving up and down a fast road trying to fin the issue.

A sheet of polythene covering the roof front fixed it..next called harwoods, earliest they could manage 3 weeks time, so no car for 3 weeks. i went ape and eventually booked in 1 weeks time but had to agree to 1st service £500...

Loan car was disco sport, then a disco crashed one. I called them 3 times over 3 weeks, they never called back if i left a message, i was just a nuisance.

Got the car back yesterday, they refused to warrant the new glass roof, my guess is it will go again, if out pf warranty guessing £5000+.

i think th car flexes and the roof glass unbonded. They said the roof was not structural, ie, i was talking rubbish...a monocoque surely uses the roof too? Quest tion to forum 1

Q2. How could I get a warranty if the dealer harwoods wont give me one.

Q3. They said the oil degraded so 1st year service was necessary even thouggh car had done only 6500. Surely oil lasts in the ground for millions of years........in a car 1 year?

Anyway, love the car but now think local dealership are prats and may have to,ditch the,car as a result. The dealer,service manager even called me a liar at the desk when i said he had the car for 3 weeks,he said 2....i mean i have records, so does RR assistance....how can i deal with people like these.

Anyone else having issues with harwwods?

Post #470747 2nd Mar 2018 9:40pm
Alistair

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

Where did you buy it ?

I’m not sure they can refuse to warrant it - I thought any repair under warranty dome by a MD was automatically included Neutral

There have been a few oil degradation threads - due to DPF issues - and have been covered under warranty

Time to find a new dealer by the sounds of it

Post #470751 2nd Mar 2018 9:49pm
Brightontrader

Bought new fromRR dealer in Southampton but since then it has been back to,Harwoods Lewes on a recall and they are local to me.

Car is 13 months old, they say warranty is 3 years from new, not 3 years from repair. Service manager said that it was unheard of that the roofs went like this and would not happen.....i mean, its already happened, its like
Sean Spicer comments re poison gas...but not as serious obviously Neutral

Another dealershipwould be great but I am 10 mins from Harwoods.

Post #470756 2nd Mar 2018 9:58pm
Alistair

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

FWIW I’ve not heard of any other problems with the pano roof

Post #470762 2nd Mar 2018 10:11pm
ilard

United Kingdom 

Regardless of the lifespan of engine oil these days, you have to service it according to manufacturer’s dictat. And yes, engine oil degrades so needs changing every year or so... they have given you good advice there. If there’s one thing I would do irrespective of mileage in a jalopy it’s to change engine oil, let alone an expensive new car.

In terms of the roof, it’s under warranty until the warranty expires. So you have another 23 months, right? I agree with the dealer. A repair may attract a 6 to 12 month warranty by itself, but this is irrelevant because you have 23 months manufacturer’s warranty.

Most (all?) JLR main dealers are tedious to deal with in my 15 years of JLR ownership experience across 4+ dealers. So don’t move house because of Harwoods!

Post #470767 2nd Mar 2018 10:19pm
Brightontrader

I suppose it could be a worse. If the glass unbonded on another alumium monocoque like a Boeing 777..so,why make a fuss, its only a car Sad

I see that Evoques have quite a few glass roofs shattering, and that dealers seem to blame stones, odd place for a stone to,hit a roof. In my case it was suddenly there the issue, after months of perfectly good. But no stone chips, just the roof had lifted breaking,the glue sesl between the glass and the frame. A very odd fault.

That day I had put a front wheel up a high curb slowly on purpose to park, i think the chassis twisted, popping the glass.

The roof doesnt open, its a long, big sheet of glass. If this is what caused it, it could,or,even will, happen again, that is why I want it warranted ...if JLR have confidence in the roof what is their problem, its not like an engine or other moving part. There is no wear on a glass roof.....

Post #470771 2nd Mar 2018 10:41pm
John w

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Autobiography Black TDV8 Barolo Black

We use Harwood in Crawley.

I have to say they are the best dealership I have ever encountered.

You should get a follow up call to give your experience. Use the call to tell it like it is. Whether you get anything out of it I have no idea, but as a group they are one of the better ones.

The car is still under warranty so I would just drive and enjoy Thumbs Up Too many toys, not enough time

2011 4.4 TDV8 AB Black

Post #470783 3rd Mar 2018 12:37am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1