Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > 3.6 TDV8 'pinking' plus 3 engine fault codes
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
RRG

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Zermatt Silver
3.6 TDV8 'pinking' plus 3 engine fault codes

Hi folks

I've done a fair bit of searching but not found a solution to this one! Thoughts much appreciated.

I have an early TDV8 (built late 2006) and it's been good as gold. Now on 105k miles, been properly maintained and totally faultless. But it has now developed a perplexing, intermittent problem.

The RR runs beautifully UNLESS it is started with the engine lukewarm. Then, frequently (but not all the time) it makes a gentle 'pinking' sound (I know this sounds ridiculous but it really does sound like a petrol engine pinking!). This is only audible from outside. If you try to drive off the engine is clearly down on power but does drive okay. The fault clears and the RR drives fine again after anything up to a minute. The problem is definitely getting more prevalent.

Luckily I have a Hawkeye and just checked for error codes. Three were logged as follows:

1. P024A: cylinder 3 injector restricted

2. P010C: mass or volume air flow B circuit low input. Signal amplitude < minimum

3. P02B0: cylinder 6 balance - injector restricted

Would be great if one of the techies here could tell me what is going on... Do I need a new set of injectors?

many thanks in advance
RRG

Post #471080 4th Mar 2018 10:52pm
northernmonkeyjones

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black

My 3.6 sounded a bit pinky on occasion.

However start by running several doses of injector cleaner through the fuel. check the top turbo hoses for splits. And go from there👍🏻 There is nothing that can't be fixed with a hammer😜😜
FFRR 4.4 SDV8 Autobiography Santorini Black.
Fiat 500x 1.4 multiair Lounge 2015
2010 LR D4 Commercial 2.7 TDV6

Post #471090 5th Mar 2018 12:44am
RRG

thanks NMJ!

I forgot to mention that the turbo top hoses were replaced on a preventative basis about 5k miles ago so hopefully not that. Also, the chap who normally looks after the RR (Fred at Essex 4x4 - top man) had a detailed look at the car 6 weeks ago when the problem started (and was very occasional) and could find nothing wrong! Back then there were no error codes to work with, at least I have some now!

So you think sticky injectors? Can you suggest a brand/product to use as I tend to steer clear of putting anything into the fuel filler apart from top quality diesel...

thanks
RRG

Post #471116 5th Mar 2018 10:54am
fisha

2015 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Aruba

fuel injector cleaner is unlikely to do any harm as a simple thing to try without having to take anything apart. Also, in days gone by, I've found a bit of an italian tune up drive has helped clear out an big block diesel engine.

Italian tune is just basically give it a bit of a proper ragging. Get the engine upto temp and let rip on it. Sport mode, and some full hard accelerations with a decent run holding a lower gears to keep the revs up above the normal bimbling along range. I'm not saying bounce it off the red line continuously, but make it use the upper end of its rev range for a wee bit.

In theory, the full accelerations shove a ton of fuel through the injectors clearing out the gunk, and the hard driving raises the engine temps to burn off the build up as well.

My old BMW 730d used to benefit from it. V8 or else ...

Post #471128 5th Mar 2018 11:42am
ptaroni

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Java Black

Did you ever sort this? 2004 td6 l322 - gone
Now 2007 tdv8 l322

Post #497092 29th Nov 2018 11:18pm
RRG

Yes, I did get this sorted: injectors 3 and 6 replaced and all running perfectly again.
The symptoms were quite slight and intermittent so it took a while to work out exactly what was wrong. Once diagnosed, it was quick fix. Fred at Essex 4x4 came up trumps, once again.

Post #514619 7th May 2019 10:33pm
finchi

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Carpathian Grey

I would be interested to know how much it cost you to have two injectors replaced?

Post #514638 8th May 2019 8:09am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1