Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Wheels & Tyres > How did your tyres perform in the snow?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Montys 4x4

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography TDV6 Carpathian Grey
How did your tyres perform in the snow?

Hi, when buying my RR last November I was quite specific about the tyres it was delivered with, this was after poor performance (just in the wet) from Continental Sport Contacts fitted to my L322 Westminster and Yokohama Advans on the Porsche cayenne I traded in for the L405. I had fitted Pirelli Scorpion Verde to my RR Evoque after ditching Contis a few years ago and was very impressed in standing water performance. So when selecting a pre built L405 17.2 model I cruised the specs to find one fitted with the Pirelli Verdes (I have 21" alloys). Last week in S. Norfolk our village was cut off due to the snowfall and drifting snow plus one or two stuck vehicles in the drifts.
I eventually found a route out onto the main road only to find it was blocked by a bus that had slid and was cutting my only other route out. Now the Pirelli Verdes are not as aggressive as your out and out winter tyre such as Pirelli Winter snow control as I had fitted to my older L322 TD6 (they were great in the snow but lasted five minutes when the roads dried up). I was more than happy with the Verdes performance in the 2-4 inches of fresh snow and getting through the occasional small drift (with suspension set to high) just wanted to hear from other owners who might have experiences with same or other tyres fitted to the L405 from last week.

I did get stuck for a short while after moving off the single road to let a snow plough through and put the front passenger wheel into the edge of a muddy field but after realising the snow selection on the selector doesn't lock up the diff I then put the car in low ratio gearbox and the diff locked, I just cruised out of the deep mud. I've been very impressed by this Range Rover it would have been good to be able to just stay at home and not risk damage to RR and myself but my wife is a Midwife and they were desperately short of staff as babies were not waiting until the thaw. On one return trip into our village I called ahead to the village store and asked if they needed a re-supply of Milk and bread yes please they said so I emptied the local Morrisons of Milk (they were expecting the next delivery) and a fair amount bread. I don't think I had long pulled away from the village store before it was gone. Perhaps a few Kudos for thoughtful 4x4 drivers has been gained over the last week hopefully.

Paul
ps I did not try the road in the second photo until a day later when the snow had drifted away I hauled my way up it with no problems. Journey started in a LR2B at 16 and has incl. just about every Land Rover, Disco, RRS and Range Rover Vehicle owned or driven, I even worked for the company when it was owned by BAe - It must be a madness!!! because to add to my 4.4 TDV8 Westminister In Baltic Blue I bought a second L322 as a commuter bus, TD6 2004 Vogue in Oslo Blue with cream leather now both gone replaced with what could turn out to be my biggest mistake. Carpathian Grey ivory interior 3.0 tdv6 Autobiog. 2017

Post #471174 5th Mar 2018 3:05pm
Alistair

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

Mine have been awesome - but then again I've got Conti Winter Contacts (on 22's) Cool

However, I live in a ski resort & see some significant snow - and I have a £700 insurance policy in the form of 2 pairs of Thule K77snow chains in the boot that I've not needed yet Thumbs Up

Post #471182 5th Mar 2018 4:53pm
Sandyt

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Buckingham Blue

I travelled a lot for work during the recent bad weather mine is on Vreds full winter and they were superb no complaints Thumbs Up

Post #471208 5th Mar 2018 6:44pm
ahbeddoe13

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Mariana Black
General Snow Grabbers

I have General Snow Grabbers on a set of 20" V spoke alloys on My TDV8 Sport and they have been great. I am a fanatical skier so bought them for taking the car and family to the French Alps In 3 years this year has seen them really come into their own driving form Les Gets up to mid station in deep snow.....and this week in the UK.

They were a steal too and around £100 a tyre and have lasted very well...so much so I have left them on all year round.

Post #471223 5th Mar 2018 7:42pm
MPx

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover SVAutobiography 5.0 SC V8 Waitomo Grey
Re: How did your tyres perform in the snow?

Montys 4x4 wrote:

I did get stuck for a short while after moving off the single road to let a snow plough through and put the front passenger wheel into the edge of a muddy field but after realising the snow selection on the selector doesn't lock up the diff I then put the car in low ratio gearbox and the diff locked, I just cruised out of the deep mud.

I've been very happy with my Wintrac Extremes....but also managed to get stuck in similar circs pulling off the road to let something by. Unfortunately operator error meant I didn't twig about what was happening - doh!!! Embarassed and ended up having to dig myself a little path back with a shovel before the Snow setting would get me out. Had I realised and switched to a setting to lock the diff I'd probably not have struggled at all. Lesson learned! Mike - MPx

2017 5.0 V8 Supercharged SVAutobigraphy Dynamic SVO Palette Grey (2021-...)
2012 5.0 V8 Supercharged Autoboigraphy Orkney Grey (2017-2021)
2007 4.2 V8 Supercharged Vogue SE Tonga Green (2012-2017)
2002 4.4 V8 Vogue Bonnatti Grey (2008-2012)

Post #471280 6th Mar 2018 12:10am
aleksey.vysotskiy

Russia 2012 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Alaska White

My continental icecontact2 performed excellent. Pulls stops and turns as on dry roads Smile
And it is quite predictable on dry and wet tarmac

Post #471296 6th Mar 2018 8:21am
dolph34

Ireland 2015 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Corris Grey

My scorpions M+S did ok , no real slips unless I provoked them. Stopping distances were long but they got me plenty of places other cars were stuck. 2015 4.4 AB
GSXR 1000 K5
R1 1998

Post #471299 6th Mar 2018 8:57am
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

my 21'' conti's did very well... the weight of the FF probably helped...Thumbs Up ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #471303 6th Mar 2018 9:11am
KurtVerbose

Switzerland 2007 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey
Re: How did your tyres perform in the snow?

MPx wrote:
I've been very happy with my Wintrac Extremes

Me too. And they're one of the winter tyres that you can use in the summer without loosing the tread after a few miles. I'm thinking of doing this as I don't like my summer 20" 275's.

Post #471310 6th Mar 2018 10:10am
Montys 4x4

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography TDV6 Carpathian Grey

Thanks for your thoughts and experiences, I also have a set of Vred Wintrac Extremes sitting on Cayenne 19" wheels they did perform very well a few winters ago and have excellent wear rate. Just a shame they are a bit small for the L405 but hey ho the Pirelli Verdes did the trick last week but they only had 3,000 miles of wear.

Paul Journey started in a LR2B at 16 and has incl. just about every Land Rover, Disco, RRS and Range Rover Vehicle owned or driven, I even worked for the company when it was owned by BAe - It must be a madness!!! because to add to my 4.4 TDV8 Westminister In Baltic Blue I bought a second L322 as a commuter bus, TD6 2004 Vogue in Oslo Blue with cream leather now both gone replaced with what could turn out to be my biggest mistake. Carpathian Grey ivory interior 3.0 tdv6 Autobiog. 2017

Post #471359 6th Mar 2018 5:19pm
fisha

2015 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Aruba

Kumho winters for me, 265/60 r18 ... they were flawless V8 or else ...

Post #471635 8th Mar 2018 12:57pm
Spooky

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Corris Grey

265/60-18 Yokohama Geolander AT-S fitted here. Didn't have masses of snow, but the car was very sure-footed in the stuff that we did have ...

Regards,
Mick

'Bertha' - 2014 SDV8 Autobigraphy
'Vincent' - 2010 TdV8 Vogue SE
- 'Molly' - 2005 HSE Auto
'Dixie' - 2000 D2 Td5 ES

Post #471672 8th Mar 2018 4:52pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1