Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Orders (L405) > New Car not ready on delivery day
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
LWR

United Kingdom 
New Car not ready on delivery day

Almost 3 weeks ago, I did a deal with a brand new RR AB on a dealer showroom floor.

I had to point out to the dealer that one of the seat mechanisms had suffered some damage whilst it had been in the showroom as a standing demonstrator.

They agreed to fix it and 3 weeks ago we agreed a delivery date of today.

It transpires that, they only bothered to attempt to fix the issue with the seat on saturday. Ordered the wrong parts and they tried to order more parts for today, but still messed up that order.

I'm irritated that a dealer selling a £120,000 car cannot fix it in 3 weeks in order to deliver it on time.

Dealer seems surprised that I am annoyed that I travelled to collect a car that was not ready.

Is if OK to be disappointed with the dealer, or is that how luxury goods are sold these days?

Would welcome some ideas as to what is a suitable compensation for the disappointment and major inconvenience to me... or should I just take a chill pill?

Last edited by LWR on 11th Sep 2018 9:25am. Edited 2 times in total

Post #488572 10th Sep 2018 10:49am
Alistair

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

Poor service, but not unique - it wouldn’t have been that hard to keep you updated.

I guess like most people, jobs get put off until they are urgent.....

I think that at a minimum they should now deliver the car to you - and you should clearly articulate your expectations to the dealer - ideally speak to the principal and not the sales person

Post #488574 10th Sep 2018 11:14am
gettingold

United Kingdom 

Walk away find another, why on earth would you put your hard earned to that dealer. You wouldn't take that service in any other transaction?.

Steve.

Post #488579 10th Sep 2018 11:50am
LWR

United Kingdom 

Tempted to walk away, really tempted. But they seem to be confident they'll sell the car to someone else. And I'm not one for cutting my nose off to spite my face. And they already have my money in their account - I should not have been so trusting

Post #488580 10th Sep 2018 11:54am
John w

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Autobiography Black TDV8 Barolo Black

yep, get them to deliver it to you, at your convenience.

It is astounding how some places simply don't get customer service. Too many toys, not enough time

2011 4.4 TDV8 AB Black

Post #488586 10th Sep 2018 1:07pm
AndyS

United Kingdom 

If they had your contact number then there is no excuse for that substandard service. It's not difficult to call someone and explain what's gone wrong, they might have been given some verbal but to let you take the time and effort to arrive with a view to collecting then that beggars belief.
In your shoe's I would probably of taken delivery of the car and demanded they collect your car and leave a suitable replacement whilst they fix then return your new car at your convenience. It may well have been part dismantled of course.

I think a message to the CEO explaining your deep dissatisfaction would be the minimum I'd be doing and then seeing what he/she offered. I'd also be contacting the factory and making a big fuss.

Post #488614 10th Sep 2018 6:10pm
LWR

United Kingdom 

So here's the latest...

Not only did they sit on the repair for three weeks, but, the parts they need to fix it are not available and on indefinite back order.

Walking away is an option, but I can't see another car out there I would buy and having already sold my daily driver, the inconvenience of using an Audi R8 for the school run is starting to grate.

The dealer is asking that I take delivery of the car, and they fix it when they can. I'm saying I might do that, but their laziness has led to my inconvenience and that needs compensating with a (further) discount on the car. They have said they will talk to the powers-that-be but don't hold out any hope

JLR Exec Complaints is very sympathetic and believes the dealer has behaved poorly, but says it is powerless to compel the dealer to do anything by way of compensation (which seems a bit toothless given the brand violence the dealer is committing)

Please advise... am I nuts to even consider taking delivery of a broken car that could/should have been fixed weeks ago? Or is it just a practical solution to a problem that is only otherwise solved by unwinding a deal that is already paid for and took 4 weeks to get this far?

Post #488619 10th Sep 2018 7:24pm
dingg1

2007 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.2 SC V8 Stornoway Grey

Walk away from it on principle they're taking the Censored

Post #488621 10th Sep 2018 7:37pm
Alistair

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

Is it your local dealer ?

If not - agree that your local dealer will fix it and they will pick up the tab - I did that once with a problem found when I arrived to collect the car.

Post #488624 10th Sep 2018 8:45pm
socialrover

United Kingdom 2018 Range Rover Autobiography SDV6 Santorini Black

Take delivery - Enjoy - get fixed later ( with a suitable replacement being dropped off of course ) .Life is too short .

Post #488625 10th Sep 2018 8:47pm
Chalky

United Kingdom 

Definitely take delivery, write a very strong email/letter to the dealer principal and make sure they collect the car when they have the parts, and loan you another whilst being fixed.

It's not as if there is a mechanical problem, although a bloody nuisance, the seat problem should not spoil your enjoyment of what is a fabulous car Thumbs Up

Post #488626 10th Sep 2018 9:08pm
mjdronfield

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Buckingham Blue

Why can’t they take the part off another car and then replace them when the parts come in...whenever that is? 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 TDV8

Previous cars :
2003 Range Rover Vogue TD6
1999 Discovery Td5 ES
1995 BMW M5 3.8 6 speed
1992 Range Rover 3.9 Efi Vogue
1992 BMW M5 3.8
1988 BMW 735i SE
1989 Ford Sierra XR4x4 2.9i
1981 Ford Fiesta Supersport

Post #488627 10th Sep 2018 9:17pm
gettingold

United Kingdom 

Walk away. If they've been this gash up until now you can write the letter as strongly as you like, but if you take the car the gashness may continue with the outstanding repair when it happens.

Post #488649 11th Sep 2018 8:55am
LWR

United Kingdom 

mjdronfield wrote:
Why can’t they take the part off another car and then replace them when the parts come in...whenever that is?

I asked this and they said they had a donor car. But the donor car parts didn't fit. Which I found strange.

JLR Executive complaints are on the case. They seem more reassuring... but I'm still disgusted the dealer took my money then sat on their hands for 3 weeks.

Post #488652 11th Sep 2018 9:11am
portrobc

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Firenze Red

It is simply staggering that this service is considered acceptable by the Dealer and JLR.
If it was my local dealer then I would be very concerned with regard to this "laissez faire" attitude continuing on in to service and repairs that you may need once you are using the car.
£120K is a lot of money by any standard and if this is how they wish to commence their relationship I think I would run away. Now running a 2016 Autobiography plus an Aston Martin Virage
Previously ran a Lincoln Navigator and 18 XC60 T5
Before that a pile of Jeeps, Mercedes and Jaguars and Porsches, Mustang and Volvo.

Post #488671 11th Sep 2018 1:01pm
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>