Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > 6hp26 shift issues 3.6TDV8
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
Print this entire topic · 
Mikey

Scotland 

I started panicking once my oil temp got upto 105 degrees, after a long slog up the Shap summit with an RRS in tow...

Looks like I was worried over nothing Laughing

Post #478720 17th May 2018 8:45pm
elandri

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Buckingham Blue

Yes, Range Rovers seem to generate a healthy dose of paranoia in their owners!

Valve block refitted on Wednesday and oil level topped up last evening (always seems to take a road run to circulate the oil properly by which time it's too hot to set the level).

Taking the caravan out today so will see if progress has been made or not.....

Have updated IID tool with a build that gives access to untested values (as directed by GAP) in the hope of being able to monitor the shift control solenoid. It gives access to 101 (ish) parameters for the TCM alone and I spent some time going through them yesterday but can't find anything that looks like it.

The SCS is designated "MV1" in the documentation. Anyone know what the "MV" stands for - might give a clue!

Away all weekend so will update next week. 2008 TDV8 Vogue

Post #479337 25th May 2018 8:51am
RRPhil

United Kingdom 

It’s a shortened version of ‘Magnetventil’ – the German word for an ‘on-off’ electromagnetic solenoid. The nearest English equivalents are Magnetic Valve, Solenoid Valve, Shift Solenoid, etc.

Phil

Post #479343 25th May 2018 10:53am
cheezels

Australia 2007 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Java Black

Hey elandri

Thanks for keeping us posted.

Did you have any work carried out on the valve block, thus far, or did you send it away just for testing?

If so, did they find anything?

(Sorry if I missed this) 2007 3.6 TDV8

Post #479348 25th May 2018 11:53am
elandri

Phil,

I did about 100 miles towing at the weekend and the 3-4 symptom has changed a little such that it's now clear that it isn't the change into 4th that's slow, it seems to be a problem with 3rd gear itself. I took some more traces and have graphed them here (not sure how to get them into this post):
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1AlXSqEwKH...sp=sharing

This would explain why you thought the 3 to 4 traces I took previously looked normal - cos they were!

It doesn't get me any closer to understanding what's causing it though. I believe the only changes that occur between 2nd and 3rd are that the C brake disengages and the B clutch engages. The pressure control currents for both look OK to me so one might suspect that the B clutch isn't engaging correctly. However, it disengages during 4th and engages again for 5th and there's no apparent problem with 5th.

Cheezels, as I understand it Valve Bodies take it apart, replace all the usual internal bits that are known to cause problems, check for any other wear issues, test the solenoids, put it all back together with a new separator plate and then give it a good thrashing on their test machine. I wish I'd known that before I bothered changing the the solenoids - I'd have just taken it out and sent it to them. Great service; quick and inexpensive. 2008 TDV8 Vogue

Post #479601 29th May 2018 3:02pm
RRPhil

United Kingdom 

Hmmm, well none of the clutches/brakes appear to be slipping:

Click image to enlarge

and, if any of them were, the controller would detect it and immediately throw a failsafe error.

Edit : Might it be possible to post up the list of the “101 (ish) parameters” that the IIDTool can record for the transmission? I’d be interested to have a read through the list to see if anything stands out as being of potential use.

Edit : Also, might it be possible to capture some data which includes the current for the EDS6 solenoid, so we can check what the torque converter is up to? (i.e. engine, turbine & output speeds plus EDS6 current).

Phil

Post #479662 30th May 2018 12:51am
elandri

Well, if the brakes and clutches aren't slipping I guess we have to think that's a good thing! Nice graph by the way.

It hadn't occurred to me how the turbine speed reacts quickly to the change of state of the solenoids but the engine speed doesn't. Obviously the bit in between is the TC but how that can behave differently from one gear to another I don't know.

I'll try to get some screen shots of the 101 parameters tomorrow.

Not planning on towing for a week or so but will try to get some traces solo. Should still be evident. What are the (fewest) parameters to measure?

Further background info. While towing it behaved impeccably (apart from the 3rd gear issue). Silky gearchanges, changing down when it should and no "Transmission Failure" messages despite the oil temp hitting 96C briefly (though not enough hills in East Anglia to give it a proper workout).

After dropping the 'van off I drove it in a more spirited fashion home (20 odd miles) and it was lovely apart from a couple of fluffed changes (up when I wanted down I think - will be more vigilant when I try again) near the end. I read out the fault codes and there was a single P0730 in there but I couldn't correlate the time to an event.

The IID trace was running so I'll have a look to see if I can see it in there. 2008 TDV8 Vogue

Post #479742 30th May 2018 11:33pm
RRPhil

United Kingdom 

Quote:
Obviously the bit in between is the TC but how that can behave differently from one gear to another I don't know.

The hydrodynamic function of the TC won't, but its lock-up clutch actuation might

Quote:
What are the (fewest) parameters to measure?

Engine, turbine and output speed plus EDS6 solenoid current would be minimum. If there's an engine torque or throttle position measurement available too, that would be ideal. Just need a light-throttle acceleration through all the gears from stationary to (say) 60-65mph, holding the throttle as constant as possible, and then a further run at a wider (half?) throttle opening. I recognise that it's a pain finding somewhere you can (legally) accelerate 'gently' up to 65mph from rest, but unfortunately the LUC won't fully engage until you're up at the higher speed.

Phil

Post #479764 31st May 2018 11:04am
RRPhil

United Kingdom 

Unfortunately, I’m a bit snowed under with work at the minute, so I haven’t had the opportunity yet to look at all the IIDTool data that elandri has kindly sent through. I have, however, just had a quick glance at the first light-throttle acceleration run and it’s interesting to see that the torque converter lock-up clutch is completely off in 1st & 2nd gears and is activated while the transmission is accelerating in 3rd gear. You can see on the graph that, from when the LUC is switched on, the engine speed just ‘hangs’ for almost 3 seconds, until 4th gear is engaged. Once in 4th gear the LUC slip is accurately controlled at 4%. In 5th and 6th gears the LUC is fully locked (i.e. turbine speed = engine speed).

Click image to enlarge

As with the previous data, when comparing the output speed and turbine speed data it is clear that none of the clutch packs inside the transmission are slipping.

I’ll look at the remaining measurements as soon as I get a minute.

Phil

Post #479917 2nd Jun 2018 1:28am
RRPhil

United Kingdom 

I’ve finally got around to checking through all of the acceleration runs that elandri measured with the IIDTool; two at light throttle, two at medium and three at heavy throttle.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

What’s clear from all of the traces is that, during acceleration, the torque converter lock-up clutch is always activated in 3rd gear, irrespective of the performance level demanded by the driver. The LUC takes around 2 seconds (again, independent of throttle opening) to bring the speed ratio up towards unity in 3rd gear. For 4th gear the LUC appears to operate in a controlled continuous-slip mode (at around 4% slip speed) and then the LUC is fully locked in 5th and 6th gears, for economy.

I can’t see anything in the traces that might indicate this is anything other than Land Rover/ZF’s intended control philosophy, as it is so repeatable, but clearly this is based on a sample of one. Ideally, results from other vehicles would be required to provide a comparison, to confirm this (any volunteers?).

In summary, in the absence of comparative data, I would say what’s being perceived as a fault here is simply the torque converter and control system correctly doing their jobs.

Phil

Post #480822 13th Jun 2018 12:25pm
cheezels

Australia 2007 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Java Black

I’d be more than happy to help. I’ve found this thread very interesting.

Would you mind summarising which parameters need logging with the IIDTOOL and how the test should be conducted, please 2007 3.6 TDV8

Post #480825 13th Jun 2018 12:43pm
RRPhil

United Kingdom 

Thank you, cheezels. The four parameters that need recording are:

1. Engine speed
2. Turbine speed
3. Transmission output shaft speed
4. Solenoid 6 – Pressure*

Three runs in total, with a different throttle level for each, would be ideal i.e. light, medium and heavy throttle. The accelerator pedal position should be kept as constant as possible throughout the run from stationary up to either a) where the transmission selects 6th gear or b) when you hit the legal speed limit. Data should be saved as a .csv file.

Phil

*In reality, it’s actually current that’s measured and not pressure, but I believe these are the ‘Live Value Names’ used by GAP Diagnostics

Post #480830 13th Jun 2018 3:21pm
RRPhil

United Kingdom 

cheezels has very kindly provided a set of acceleration-from-rest results from his 2007 3.6 TDV8, measured using the IIDTool.

At light throttle the results look identical to those of elandri’s 2008 3.6 TDV8 i.e. the lock-up clutch is partially engaged in 3rd gear to progressively reduce torque converter slip, acts in controlled-slip mode in 4th gear and is then fully engaged in 5th and 6th gears.

Click image to enlarge

Interestingly, though, the medium and hard throttle runs look a bit different.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

This time, the lock-up clutch is triggered immediately following the 1-2 shift, pulling the engine speed down in 2nd gear. The lock-up clutch is then locked solid in 3rd & higher gears.

I think some of the difference relates to the inevitable variance in the calibration of the two drivers’ right feet. From the engine speeds, it can be seen that cheezels’ ‘medium’ throttle is equivalent to elandri’s ‘hard’ throttle, and elandri’s results for hard throttle do show the LUC being activated momentarily immediately following the 1-2 upshift but the signal is then cancelled, only to return again once the 2-3 upshift has taken place.

Phil

Post #482668 4th Jul 2018 11:26pm
elandri

Aarrgghh!

I hadn't received any email alerts since I sent my data to Phil back in May so have been blissfully unaware of your efforts. Many thanks to you both and sincere apologies for my poor communication.

It's great to have a comparison. Cheezels traces certainly make the big drop-out in LUC current on mine look very strange.

It looks to me that the TC is doing exactly what it's told - it's just being told to do the wrong thing. Or is it not that simple?

After I put the refurbished valve body back in in May the other issues I'd been experiencing seemed to be resolved but in the last month its gone back to its old ways and, as I'm going on hols to Scotland in it in a couple of weeks, I've been seriously considering taking the plunge and buying a shiny new mechatronic unit from ZF.

Does this seem a reasonable course of action in the light of the what we now know or is there anything else I should try first? 2008 TDV8 Vogue

Post #488004 4th Sep 2018 6:15pm
unsolicited

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover 5.0 SC V8 Mariana Black

You have tried resetting engine adaptations? It made a huge difference to my S/C when the box was doing strange things.

Post #488082 5th Sep 2018 6:00pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 4 <1234>