Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > My Range Rover > Our 4.4TDV8 Vogue
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 4 1234>
Print this entire topic · 
rjff

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Santorini Black
Our 4.4TDV8 Vogue

We finally took the plunge in September last year, finding this 60 plate, 8 speed TDV8 with 69k having read as many posts as we could on here. Thanks for all the information, and no doubt help to come from that, in years to come. Wife still says "can't quite believe we have one on the drive."

Took our first holiday in February to Pitlochry and she ran faultlessly all the time, averaging 30.1 by map and fill ups. Love Scotland and the people there, a motorbike and camping for years but now needs must a RR and (whisper it) caravan.

Not a lot of snow about, but a few photos.

Just north of Pitlochry they even snowplough the field entrances

but not the car parks

Interior is Parchment with navy trim

Click image to enlarge

and back home washed

Enjoy yours
Richard

Post #473415 22nd Mar 2018 1:05pm
Rob99

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black

Nice looking car Richard, glad you're enjoying it.

It's years since I've been to Pitlochry but do remember it being very enjoyable. That time we stayed at the Athol Palace Hotel. Don't know if that's still there.

Rob 2017 4.4 SDV8 Autobiography
2012 4.4 TDV8 Westminster - Gone, but not forgotten

Post #473416 22nd Mar 2018 1:11pm
rjff

Thanks for that Rob, so far so good, happy place to be, even in a traffic jam.

Atholl Palace still going and hear it's fine. We stay at the Moulin Inn, about a mile up the hill out of town. Good for winter breaks, food fine, real locals bar with fires, warm welcome AND their own brewery. (no connection, just a regular visitor who's happy with the place).

Richard

Post #473430 22nd Mar 2018 3:38pm
Clabs

United Kingdom 

Looks like a nice tidy car Richard and looks like you are getting some decent use out of it already Thumbs Up

I think you sum up ownership of these cars perfectly - a happy place to be in, even in a traffic jam.

Cheers, Mark

Post #473500 22nd Mar 2018 9:57pm
rjff

Thanks Mark.

Would have replied yesterday but.....

it's a slightly less happy place. Out yesterday, parked for a bite to eat and returned to a full dash of interesting?? lights. I wonder if even JLR realise there are so many.

So stumbled home on charging fault and restricted performance, checked battery voltages and decided alternator had gone awol. Could be looking at getting cold and wet.

Remember the proverb
Many hands make light work

Well this is my take

Many lights make the hands work

Cheers and have a good weekend.

Richard

Post #473639 23rd Mar 2018 8:23pm
Clabs

United Kingdom 

Oh - that is bad bit of luck (and timing!) Richard.

It certainly does sound like the alternator is goosed but what sort of voltage is it kicking out? From what I have read, on our later cars, the alternator does not kick out full voltage till after a couple of minutes.

Do you know how old your battery is?

I wouldn't worry about all those warning lights - these cars really hate low voltage but the lights will all go out once you get the problem sorted.

Assuming it is the alternator, do you plan on doing the job yourself or do you have a decent Indy near to you?

Hope you get it sorted soon. Current Cars:
MY11 5.0 SC Stornoway - sold
MY06 TD6 Zambezi - sold
1997 BMW E36 M3 Evolution Convertible Estoril

Post #473654 23rd Mar 2018 10:33pm
rjff

Hi Mark

Having got home and checking before turning off the voltage on battery was reading 11v and continued falling to the point where the car gave a cough, ran for a few more seconds and turned off completely. Charged battery and it's held 12.8V for the night. Started the car and the voltage is slowly dropping after allowing several minutes running. So have decided to have her repaired at a place I have used for some works. They also serviced an E38 for several years before and after I bought it and that was faultless in my ownership. They are due to work on Wednesday, having said they will run diagnostics prior to any work and let me know. But they agree from discussions this morning that the alternator is the likely cause. Battery age is unknown, but they will check it and advise.

Regards and thanks for your concern and comments.

Richard

Post #473678 24th Mar 2018 10:55am
counter of beans

England 2012 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Santorini Black

Richard, my TDV8 4.4 shows a very steady 14.8 volts with the engine running and after the first couple of minutes. If I switch on heated seats, screens, air con and lights then the reading falls to around 14.4 but not below that. Those are the sort of readings you should be getting from a healthy alternator, I think.

Post #473682 24th Mar 2018 11:04am
rjff

Morning CoB

Many thanks for the help and interest and your figures certainly sound correct. Mine are nowhere near that, starting the car having had the battery on the charger the voltage dropped to 11.8V and then after several minutes began to fall to below 11V. So I reckon no charging. She engages gear, moves about and will be able to get out of the drive to the relay truck, that's necessary as I don't think the battery would hold a 20 mile trip.

Hi ho, the joys of spring, at least the nights get lighter from tonight.

Regards

Richard

Post #473684 24th Mar 2018 11:41am
Clabs

United Kingdom 

Richard

I checked my voltages today too and like CoB am showing around 14.8v so am sure you are walking along the right path in an alternator change and it sounds like you have some decent mechanics you can trust.

I don't know how long you are thinking of keeping your car but unless you have records that they have already been replaced then I would be inclined to change the belt, idler/tensioners while they are in there.

Just a thought Very Happy Current Cars:
MY06 TD6 Zambezi - sold

Post #473871 25th Mar 2018 9:43pm
rjff

Mark

The voltages do point towards a new alternator as you say and I'll post on here about the company doing the repair when completed. Hopefully it will be a good review.

The previous owner's servicing outfit tell me the pulleys were changed recently as the car had a new AC compressor. The belt will be replaced and the pulleys checked at this repair. I do intend keeping the car for a good while, unless senior household management feel the need for more grunt (had to steal the keys when we had a turbo Legacy estate if I wanted to borrow it. Her grin even wider than mine Mr. Green ). Suspect she would be happy to go your route of an SC.

Regards

Richard

Post #473935 26th Mar 2018 3:28pm
Clabs

United Kingdom 

Richard

That sounds good and hopefully not too long before you are back on the road - keep us posted on how you get on.

I have not driven the 4.4 V8 but by all accounts, they do have plenty of low end grunt. The 5.0 sc is pretty sublime though - very responsive and incredibly quick for such a big car. But do be aware of the well documented timing chain issue if you are considering one at any point. Fuel consumption will also be an eye-opener after that frugal diesel Very Happy Current Cars:
MY06 TD6 Zambezi - sold

Post #473985 26th Mar 2018 9:44pm
rjff

Mark

I agree the 4.4 has a serious grunt and I don't think madam would need more, or me for that matter. Yet to really move it with ours as still enjoying the experience of owning. But overtaking is quite formidable for such a beast.

In at repairers and they say alternator u/s and replacement ordered. Let you know outcome next week.

Cheers
Richard

Post #474268 29th Mar 2018 3:39pm
Clabs

United Kingdom 

Thanks for the update Richard - let us know how you get on. Current Cars:
MY06 TD6 Zambezi - sold

Post #474580 2nd Apr 2018 7:47pm
rjff

Afternoon all

Got her back from repair late Thursday and pleased (?) to say it was the alternator that required replacement. The length of time in the 'shop was due to the Easter break and longer than usual delivery time for the parts. And apparently it was a bar steward of a job, I'm told there was blood shed, and if I find any finger bits would I return them to the tech who did the work. It appears to have taken longer than anticipated but the quote price was adhered to, so no unexpected increase in cost.

A courtesy car was provided, Nissan Joke with company logo and fleet number on the doors and bonnet. No chance of getting away with anything, those numbers probably can probably be seen from space. When I got up in the middle of the night and looked out, it being white not black like our FF, thought someone had shrunk the caravan.

Any way I'll run the voltmeter over her tomorrow for future reference.

Thanks for the info and kind comments.

Richard

Post #475140 7th Apr 2018 4:49pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 4 1234>