Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > General > Would I be crazy to buy a L322 with 100K+ miles?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
Grofus

Ireland 2007 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Zermatt Silver

3k a year for maintainance seems high to me but then I'm handy with spanners. I have had an 07 TDV8 for 3 years and haven't spent that in total. Now on 106k miles.
I spent £400 on new diff, gearbox, transfer box oils and filters throughout when I first got it.
Also engine of course.
Since then brake dics and pads replaced and a set of General Grabber AT3 tyres. Thats it.
It pulls trailers and horse boxes often and is used off road too and I now wouldn't have anything else.
Regular maintainance need not cost a fortune and with the wealth of knowledge on here the odd issue is normally well covered.
Map out the Egr's on a 3.6 TDV8 and they are superb. 2007 Vogue TDV8 in Zermatt Silver with Charcoal

Post #474113 28th Mar 2018 1:48am
Webbie

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Santorini Black

3k was including parts labour at an independent and included tyres and brakes. Only the simplest of jobs done DIY.

Post #474117 28th Mar 2018 7:04am
rar110

Australia 2008 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Atacama Sand

3000GBP PA for maintenance sounds right if you incl putting away for later 1500GBP PA.

A big annual service costs me about 500GBP or about $900AUD.

But if the L322 is 10 yrs or more old expect the same maintenance items I have experienced. And you need to understand the risk of EGR and turbo failure. Sometimes intake manifolds also fail, but only occasionally.

I personally consider disabling the EGRs helps the motor generally, but also with EGR & turbo failure risk. I personally favour fitting emulators. But a remap/EGR delete is another option.

Despite the above as I said it’s the best car I’ve owned. Owning one just requires quite a bit of knowledge about them. Also an Iidtool is an essential tool. ______________________________
Vogue tdv8 08MY poverty pack - wow

Post #474128 28th Mar 2018 10:11am
StClere

United Kingdom 

I've not heard of the Iidtool, but I have a OBD2 scanner...are they basically the same thing? I was hoping that I could use my scanner on any RR that I went to look at.

Post #474212 29th Mar 2018 3:30am
Grofus

Ireland 2007 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Zermatt Silver

Tap Gap IID tool will do so much more than the basic code reading a scanner will do.
See here
http://www.gap-diagnostic.com/support/medias/

Do a search on here too as there is loads of info. 2007 Vogue TDV8 in Zermatt Silver with Charcoal

Post #474241 29th Mar 2018 11:26am
rar110

Australia 2008 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Atacama Sand

Your OBD2 might allow you to read and clear codes which is good. In reality that’s what I do with my iidtool on most occasions. However I am a novice with it. I have used it to obtain live data such as trans temps, alternator outputs, EGTs etc. I’ve also used it to change settings, eg to change the alert tone for front parking sensors so that there is a different tone for the front and back. When parking in a tight situation I know whether it’s the front or back that is getting close. I’ve also used it to reprogram keys. The iPhone interface for the iidtool is excellent. It provides a lot of information eg multiple sensor read outs at the same time (see photo of screen I did for someone on here).

Click image to enlarge

The customer support from GAP is outstanding. ______________________________
Vogue tdv8 08MY poverty pack - wow

Post #474304 29th Mar 2018 10:39pm
StClere

United Kingdom 

Yes, I've got the OBD2 to read and clear codes. It cost £15 and does the same job that most garages/dealers will try to charge you £100 a time!

Looks like the Iidtool does a lot more, but probably not worth buying until I actually make a purchase. OBD2 should be enough to tell me if there's anything major wrong, or hasn't been sorted.

Are there any codes/issues that I should really be looking out for? EGR valves have been mentioned a couple of times on this thread. Any other big ones?

Post #474305 29th Mar 2018 10:54pm
Alistair

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

Read the Wiki - there's a buyers guide there - the Wiki is found at the top right of the page under where it says fullfatrr.com - it's kind of a greatest hits page of the best threads.

Then it depends which engine you get..... but you can search for that or ask specific questions - EGR & turbos can be an issue on 3.6 TDV8's, but I've yet to see a common theme or anything that will help avoid it - so again, I'd go for a well maintained car & hope for the best Thumbs Up

BTW - I agree that the IID tool is cool, but wait until you need it. All I did with mine was turn off TPMS, then left it in the box as nothing else went wrong Very Happy

Post #474321 30th Mar 2018 8:49am
Mr101

England 2004 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Java Black

I have just bought a 4.4 V8 Vogue with 258000 miles on it, in my defence it was very cheap but id did come with almost a full service history from the 2 previous owners. 4.4V8 L322 to keep me busy
FC101GS a toy
Series 2a Lightweight another toy
3.5 V6 24 Valve Shogun well I do need one reliable car !

Post #474836 4th Apr 2018 9:10pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12