Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > Terrian Control Module !
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
DaveK

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue TDV6 Corris Grey
Terrian Control Module !

Nightmares going on here. More fault codes than I can list and all centering around codes coneccted with the Terrian response and the Parking Brake to name just two. Impression is that other systems arent picking up data from ATCM . NOT THE BATTERY. Checked and monitored along with the Alternator.
Big box with ECU and fuse under bonnet opened and checked and all completely dry.Fuses in boot area checked and dry. Intermittent fault sees key in and dashboard fail to light or engine crank. Terrian knob some times has light on first base some times doesnt. Special Programs OFF warning on some times when starting but not always. Any one know where terrian control module is located on a 2007 TDV8 3.6 ?So.. ideas please.

Post #474065 27th Mar 2018 5:16pm
GraemeS

Australia 2012 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Bournville

Terrain Control relies on several other systems such as ABS and suspension being fault-free and whilst a problem might appear to be caused by TR, it almost invariably is a fault with one of the other systems. The park brake fault is a prime candidate. The best way to sort the problem is to have all fault codes retrieved, possibly just clearing them all first then waiting for a fresh lot to avoid chasing old problems.

Post #474088 27th Mar 2018 9:05pm
DaveK

UPDATE

It goes like this. Put key in and turn to position 2. No dash lights at all save for flashing parking brake symbol. Pull parking brake switch and symbol stops flashing. Take key out and immediately put back in and turn to position 2, lights appear as normal and car starts. Instant message that transmission problem present and limited gears available. No light on terrain response dial. Codes do not come back whilst engine is running and occasionally, I can turn off and back on again 15 minutes later with no problem as I did at least 3 times today. !

Codes that then come up are these which once cleared, puts the terrain knob light on and car drives as normal.

Post #474178 28th Mar 2018 5:33pm
GraemeS

That's a canbus problem making both the suspension module and brake control module unavailable so TR can't do its job. In earlier vehicles such as the D3/D4/L322 the culprit could be a failed transfer case module because it is a gateway in the HS canbus so when it fails, often due to corrosion in the connectors or the unsealed module itself after having driven through deep water or the engine bay is washed, the canbus continuity is broken. However in later vehicles IIRC there's another module in the chain (I can't remember its name) and for other reasons such as pinched wires, the canbus can become in-operational.

My MY12's transfer case module is mounted to the back of the RHS engine-bay partition forward of the brake m/c and your one is likely to be in the same area. The connectors are at the bottom so the module needs to be removed if you want to try re-plugging the 4 (IIRC) connectors.

Post #474193 28th Mar 2018 8:49pm
DaveK

I have a right hand drive. So as I stand facing the engine , the brake mc is on the left, with the abs module in front of it. Where am I looking for the transfer module ?

Post #474200 28th Mar 2018 9:28pm
GraemeS

Just forward of the abs module, mounted on the partition separating the engine bay from the abs module etc.

This is mine.

Post #474209 29th Mar 2018 12:18am
DaveK

Thanks for this. Nothing there on mine !! Hope it hasnt been nicked. Theres a sort of square black metal box to the left of the brake m/c with a nut on top. Opened the big black box where the ECU is and there are several fuses, relays and something slightly similar to what you are describing with a yellow, a blue and a grey plug going in to it which I belive to be the module in question.. No moisture in there, everything looks brand new.

Post #474228 29th Mar 2018 9:43am
DaveK

UPDATE
So,having found nothing in the corrosion depart re relays, control modules, I bit the bullet and put a new battery on last Thurs. . Good Friday, and all over Easter , plenty of stop starting and mileage and absolutely no repeat of the problem.... until half an hour ago when back came the fault !!

Big Cry

No special programs available, limited to 3rd gear. Limped it home and turned it off. Turned it back on and the special features had returned as the rotary traction control dial was now lit back up again.

Post #474705 3rd Apr 2018 5:41pm
GraemeS

Smacks of a voltage problem somewhere, possibly a loose connection even on one of the battery leads but could be a short circuit on a major cable such as the starter cable. Do you have a voltmeter that plugs into an accessory socket to monitor at least that circuit's voltage? It won't reveal voltage to the gearbox but may be useful.

Post #474745 3rd Apr 2018 10:16pm
DaveK

Battery leads have been on and off more times than a brides nightie these last few weeks and are certainly tight. More electrical probing is indeed needed but you try getting hold of an auto electrician these days.

Post #474762 4th Apr 2018 8:51am
DaveK

Update.
Vehicle now at a LR indie who has, through the magic of the Autologic machine, decided that the ignition switch is to blame. So the the very costly and time consuming process of stripping the dash is now taking place...and of course, its a landrover only part so it will be 3 times the price .

Post #475666 13th Apr 2018 9:48am
GraemeS

Hopefully it will put an end to the problems.

Didn't someone else recently post that their strange electrical problems were solved with a new ignition switch?

Post #475678 13th Apr 2018 11:30am
DaveK

SORTED !!! Well you can never say with 100% confidence but following an autologic diagnostic and back up from their technicians K Motors in Leyland, Lancs, has fitted a new ignition switch !! Reasonable price as well ! Its a sad state of affairs when vehicles are now so complex that you can have such an array of faults because of one small item. On thIe plus side, I now know that every fuse and relay in every recess are corrossion free and dry. I know because I've looked at every blasted one on the run up to finding the fault. Big Cry

Post #476150 18th Apr 2018 5:03pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1