Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > Coolant level low indicator
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
rdk

United Kingdom 
Coolant level low indicator

Hello all

I've seen various topics on this but none quite answers my questions.

I've recently picked up a 5.0 s/c 2011 plate.

The warning for coolant level low has come on, so presuming the coolant needs topping up. No signs of any issues otherwise.

The coolant level isn't visible in the tank, so I'm guessing has dropped some way below & hence I don't know what colour / type of coolant has been used previously. The car has a full dealer service history so I'm hoping the correct coolant has been in there, without being topped up incorrectly etc.

Two questions:

1) what should I top it up with given colour is unclear, manual states Havoline XLC / Texaco XLC neither of which are readily available.

2) given I'm not 100% on what was in there does the coolant system / radiator need flushing? Should I top up irrespective to check the error goes away? Presumably better getting a dealer to do this, but what is the likely cost?

Thanks in advance!
Rob

Post #474145 28th Mar 2018 12:46pm
CS

Scotland 2017 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Corris Grey

It's certainly worth investigating why it has dropped and where the coolant is going, I had to replace the radiator on my 2004 car, others have had to replace tubing. If it is going into the engine that is obviously much more troublesome. There are various threads on here about this which you could find using the 'Search' function.

On where to get coolant, LR dealers sell LR branded coolant and you can ask for what is suitable for your specific car. You would not go far wrong with that, even if it is a bit more expensive. If you bought from a dealer then they would presumably have an obligation to check and sort the problem if you bought very recently. Only Range Rovers since 1988

Post #474150 28th Mar 2018 1:34pm
Baltic Blue

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Baltic Blue

rdk,
I will just pass -on an interesting snippet of information I recently learned from our friend Nino Nino.

On the 2011/12 models, the sensor in the header tank is not only a float switch for coolant level, but also it monitors the Specific Gravity of the coolant.
Thus, if you top up with water you will still get a low coolant level warning, and only when you have the correct mix of antifreeze added will it clear.

Mike. ( With thanks to Nino Nino) G reg 2.5VM Vogue Portofino red 1991- 1999
V reg 2.5td P38 Rioja red 1999- 2006
53 reg td6 Vogue Oslo blue 2006- 2015
11 reg 4.4 TdV8 Vogue SE. Baltic blue 2015- date.
https://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic56162...tty+affair

Post #474157 28th Mar 2018 2:07pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1