Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > Rear wheel brake getting hot - parking brake adjustment
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
themule

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Zambezi Silver
Rear wheel brake getting hot - parking brake adjustment

I would appreciate some advice - I got the rotors and pads changed on my 2007 TDV8 a couple of months ago at the local garage. In the last few days I have noticed the rear drivers side wheel gets really hot - jacked it up with the car in neutral (well chocked and supported) and struggled to rotate the wheel by hand (grating noise). I thought it would be a stuck caliper so removed the caliper but its still hard to turn. I am now thinking its the parking brake. I have tried to identify the adjuster screw through the little hole but I can't see it. I tried the parking brake reset procedure on my GAP IID tool but the issue still remains.

Do vehicles with the electronic parking brake even have a manual adjuster? My other thought is that have I been given incorrect rotors - they are Pagid from ECP, there was an issue in that they gave me RRS rear pads in error which the garage spotted and swapped.

Anyway I am struggling to find time when it is both light and dry at the moment so any ideas are appreciated.

Post #469571 21st Feb 2018 2:20pm
Alistair

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

Is it harder to turn than the other side ?

Binding rear callipers is a common problem....

Post #469575 21st Feb 2018 2:35pm
kbald

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Buckingham Blue

I have pagid pads from ecp and they are fine. sounds like the hardbrake needs adjusting. You need to rotate the little cog inside the rotors with the handbrake in service mode. They are hard to see but are about 25 past to 25 too depending on the side. Rotate the cog till the wheel wont move then back it off 3 or 4 turns until the wheel moves with little resistance.

When You change the rotors there is also also a reset proedure once you have done the above and its detailed on here which self adjusts it the last bit. Have a search and it will come up as i discussed it on here before. Basically you put it into adjustment mode drive at 20mph pull the epb to stop and repeat about 10 times from memory. Current 2007 TDV8 Vogue Buckingham Blue

Post #469591 21st Feb 2018 5:53pm
Meerbusch

United Kingdom 

If you open the caliper pistons, you will see rust....., buy two new calipers, and all is good. Have in my garage lot of 2007er with bad caliper on one side. TDV8 4.4 from 2012, 278.000km like new + Lancia Flavia Coupe 1964 + RRS L494 3.0 SDV6 + C220CDI Convertible 2021

Post #469594 21st Feb 2018 6:11pm
themule

Thanks guys. I guess the garage didn't know about the reset procedure so that could be the issue. I did look for the adjuster in that area but will check again.

Is service mode engaged with the IID tool?

Post #469595 21st Feb 2018 6:14pm
kbald

Yeah its done with the iid tool or you can simply hold the handbrake switch down somits off and turn off the key so its disengaged. The cogs are a pain to find but are roughly where i said and you can see if you can get a light through the hole in the rotor. Also sand the surface of the handbrake shoes to remove any excess rust / debris and rough them up again. Current 2007 TDV8 Vogue Buckingham Blue

Post #469600 21st Feb 2018 7:10pm
kbald

Link to epb reset procedure from i post i did

http://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic34848-15.html Current 2007 TDV8 Vogue Buckingham Blue

Post #469602 21st Feb 2018 7:15pm
themule

Thanks very much for this help. I found the adjuster today and loosened it off a bit - wheel turned freely and I thought the problem was solved. I tried to do the EPB bedding in procedure as described but couldn't get the parking light to flash so assumed I hadn't got it into that mode. I tried a few times.

Anyway after using the EPB and after driving it the problem has come back, so I assume the EPB module has just adjusted it to always push against the rotor.

What does the unjam procedure do in the IID tool? That seems the only parking brake related function of the tool.

Again, help is appreciated.

Post #469943 24th Feb 2018 10:40pm
Vogue

United Kingdom 

Might be a daft question, but why not just take it back to the garage - surely it's up to them to correcty adjust it ? 2021 L405 Vogue SE 4.4 V8 DIESEL ~ #17

Post #469946 24th Feb 2018 11:08pm
themule

I forgot to update on this.
As suggested above it was down to a binding brake caliper in the end - nothing to do with the EPB.
I think what happens when you get new pads is that the section of the piston that was exposed outside the caliper cylinder (and hence rusty) now gets pushed back into the cylinder and starts binding against the seal. This explains why the problem occurred after I had new pads.
I refurbished the caliper with new piston and seals - and the problem is resolved.
Thanks for the advice.

Post #474133 28th Mar 2018 10:30am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1