Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > Exhaust gas in coolant, head gasket failure or not?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Voguevague

Greece 2006 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Santorini Black
Exhaust gas in coolant, head gasket failure or not?

New to this forum and to L322s, so please be gentle! I have acquired a 2006 4.2 Supercharged, which has covered approx 70K miles.

I have no classic symptoms of a blown head gasket problem, but do have a slight pressure remaining in the coolant expansion reservoir even after leaving to cool for 24 hours plus. I thought I could smell exhaust when I removed the cap. So, I asked my local independent mech to carry out a block test for exhaust gasses in the coolant, the Blue solution became Green (but not Yellow as expected for a petrol), indicating the presence of exhaust gases.

The car drives perfectly well at all speeds including motorway runs, no coolant loss, no oil in coolant, no coolant in oil, no mayo on dipstick or oil filler cap, no misfire, just a slight fume whiff and lowish pressure retention in the coolant reservoir.

My independent is convinced it is not head gaskets, I am not convinced it isn't, I was outvoted 3 to 1, so I am at a loss and now looking for kind help and advice. Thank you.

Post #474488 1st Apr 2018 2:55pm
Clabs

United Kingdom 

Voguevague

I am not sure what the results of that sniff test mean but I would tend to side with your mechanic that it is not a head gasket. I don't think a bit of residual pressure is that unusual and you are not showing any other symptoms of a head gasket so I would be inclined to just enjoy the car but keep an eye on the coolant level.

Not sure if this is much help to you but it's all I have. Maybe some of the other regulars might chime in with other suggestions.

Good luck mate. Current Cars:
MY11 5.0 SC Stornoway - sold
MY06 TD6 Zambezi - sold
1997 BMW E36 M3 Evolution Convertible Estoril

Post #474584 2nd Apr 2018 8:16pm
Voguevague

Thanks Mark for this reply, really helpful and somewhat reassuring that you agree with my trusted independent.

As you can imagine, I want to enjoy the vehicle but have this niggle that something is amiss, I'm not sure where else traces of hydrocarbons can derive from and end up in the coolant as gases, except the head gasket, but I am no expert on the Supercharged engine.

Could be if it ain't broke don't fix, but I am wondering if it is a head gasket breach in the early stages , then should I use one of the many liquid products to mitigate. I see these leak-stop type preparations which may have fantastic manufacturer claims, but often quite opposite user reviews, have you thoughts here.

Thanks and regards, Keith.

Post #474649 3rd Apr 2018 10:32am
axe

Sweden 2010 Range Rover Supercharged 5.0 SC V8 Galway Green

Does the 5.0 have an oil cooler? I never checked mine. If it has a small leak maybe that could be a possible source?

Post #474650 3rd Apr 2018 10:58am
UK Marine

England 2003 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Zambezi Silver

When I had suspected head gasket failure I had the sniff test done and like yours came back clear.

My symptoms were excessive pressure in the expansion tank leading to pressure blow off and soaking the underside of the bonnet. It turned out to be a blocked radiator and changing it out cleared all of the problems.

My reason for posting is that I was told by many mechanics that if you have residual pressure in the system after leaving it overnight etc, then you do not have a blown head gasket. If you did have a blown head gasket then all of that pressure that had built up would eventually bleed away through the faulty head gasket and leave you with no pressure in the system.

So I’m always happy when I leave the Range Rover for a couple of days and undo the expansion tank cap and hear a hiss of pressure escaping Thumbs Up ______________________________
Simon

Range Rover Classic 3.5 efi - Gone
Range Rover Classic 3.9 efi - Gone
Range Rover Classic 4.2 LSE - Sadly gone
Land Rover 110 3.5 - Gone
Range Rover P38a 4.0 SE - Pleased it's gone
Range Rover P38a 2.5 DHSE - Just sold
Range Rover L322 4.4 v8 Petrol - Current

Post #474652 3rd Apr 2018 11:03am
bishbosh10

United Kingdom 

Don't be tempted by miracle cure additives - the myriad of tiny galleries that exist in modern engines (so I am told by grown ups Shocked ) are at risk of being blocked by them. Bish.

2005 110 TD5 CSW
2011 TDV8 Vogue SE (gone)

Post #474673 3rd Apr 2018 1:00pm
nino_nino

Bosnia Herzegovina 2012 Range Rover Autobiography Black TDV8 Santorini Black

^^^^
+1

Post #474682 3rd Apr 2018 2:29pm
UK Marine

England 2003 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Zambezi Silver

This is what I found in my radiator when I took it off.

Range Rover Classic 3.5 efi - Gone
Range Rover Classic 3.9 efi - Gone
Range Rover Classic 4.2 LSE - Sadly gone
Land Rover 110 3.5 - Gone
Range Rover P38a 4.0 SE - Pleased it's gone
Range Rover P38a 2.5 DHSE - Just sold
Range Rover L322 4.4 v8 Petrol - Current

Post #474764 4th Apr 2018 9:03am
nino_nino

Bosnia Herzegovina 2012 Range Rover Autobiography Black TDV8 Santorini Black

yak,

Post #474785 4th Apr 2018 1:17pm
Voguevague

[quote="axe"]Does the 5.0 have an oil cooler? I never checked mine. If it has a small leak maybe that could be a possible source?[/quote

Mine is a 4.2 which I believe on reading has the LR015152 Engine Oil Cooler, not sure what the 5.0 uses.

I have considered the possibility of cross contamination between the oil cooler and coolant but would expect to see some flecks of engine oil in the coolant reservoir, these are not there (yet?).

My knowledge of the 4.2 coolant system plumbing and interconnects is very limited, but I would be interested to know how the supercharger itself is cooled if at all.

I am looking for any possibility of mixing hydrocarbons with coolant existing, apart from the head gasket or any other points of close communication which gases could breach.

Post #474973 6th Apr 2018 9:05am
Voguevague

bishbosh10 wrote:
Don't be tempted by miracle cure additives - the myriad of tiny galleries that exist in modern engines (so I am told by grown ups Shocked ) are at risk of being blocked by them.

My thoughts too Bish. All too good to be true!

Post #474975 6th Apr 2018 9:11am
Voguevague

UK Marine wrote:
When I had suspected head gasket failure I had the sniff test done and like yours came back clear.

My symptoms were excessive pressure in the expansion tank leading to pressure blow off and soaking the underside of the bonnet. It turned out to be a blocked radiator and changing it out cleared all of the problems.

My reason for posting is that I was told by many mechanics that if you have residual pressure in the system after leaving it overnight etc, then you do not have a blown head gasket. If you did have a blown head gasket then all of that pressure that had built up would eventually bleed away through the faulty head gasket and leave you with no pressure in the system.

So I’m always happy when I leave the Range Rover for a couple of days and undo the expansion tank cap and hear a hiss of pressure escaping Thumbs Up

Simon,

Thank you for your reply here. I take some comfort in what your mechanics say "if you have residual pressure in the system after leaving it overnight etc, then you do not have a blown head gasket. If you did have a blown head gasket then all of that pressure that had built up would eventually bleed away through the faulty head gasket and leave you with no pressure in the system".

So the bogey man remaining out there for me, is the positive test for exhaust gases in the coolant reservoir, I may try a coolant change and retest.

On another point but related. On grasping for clues I purchased a new radiator cap (OEM) and fitted. For some reason the cap does not tighten or give the resounding click to stop turning. Took car out for drive ,left overnight and low and behold no pressure next morning! Need to retest with old cap now. Gets more curious!

Keith

Post #474976 6th Apr 2018 9:23am
Voguevague

[quote="UK Marine"]When I had suspected head gasket failure I had the sniff test done and like yours came back clear.

Simon,

My test actually came back 'positive' (?) in that the solution went GREEN.

If negative it should have stayed BLUE.

Ironically, GREEN is a positive for diesel engines. mine being a petrol should have gone to YELLOW, so all a bit inconclusive.

On smelling the unpressurised coolant cold yesterday it still smells gassy. I will drain and change out, then pluck up courage to retest.

Keith

Post #474978 6th Apr 2018 9:33am
axe

Sweden 2010 Range Rover Supercharged 5.0 SC V8 Galway Green

Voguevague wrote:

Mine is a 4.2 which I believe on reading has the LR015152 Engine Oil Cooler, not sure what the 5.0 uses.

I have considered the possibility of cross contamination between the oil cooler and coolant but would expect to see some flecks of engine oil in the coolant reservoir, these are not there (yet?).

My knowledge of the 4.2 coolant system plumbing and interconnects is very limited, but I would be interested to know how the supercharger itself is cooled if at all.

I am looking for any possibility of mixing hydrocarbons with coolant existing, apart from the head gasket or any other points of close communication which gases could breach.

Sorry, I don't know how I missed 4.2.

I was thinking maybe the leak would be small enough only to let the crankcase gases escape into the cooling system, with the oil pressure being higher than the coolant pressure. This is high speculation though, hope you will find the root cause being something simple.

Post #475006 6th Apr 2018 1:50pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1