Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > My Range Rover > Getting back into the world of Land Rovers with a 4.2 s/c
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
mjsputney

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Java Black
Getting back into the world of Land Rovers with a 4.2 s/c

Hi all

Thought i'd say hi...

I have owned a Defender 90, Defender 110, Discovery 3 and a P38 4.6 Vogue...I am almost on the cusp of buying this today!!!

It's a 2007 with 158k on the clock. I want the facelifted model from 07 onwards. I wouldn't normally buy a car with thia many miles but the description reads as follows.

Land Rover Range Rover 4.2 V8 Supercharged Vogue SE 5dr

ONE OWNER FULL SERVICE HISTORY

FULL SPEC WITH A FULL LAND ROVER SERVICE HISTORY, FACTORY REAR ENTERTAINMENT, SAT-NAV, 20" ALLOYS, SIDE STEPS, HEATED FRONT & REAR SEATS / STEERING WHEEL Java Black with Black leather, Upgrades - Climate Windscreen, Extended Grand Black Lacquer, FULL SPEC with Touch Screen SAT-NAV and TV, Bluetooth, an Electric Glass Sunroof, Lumbar Function, Harmon-Kardon Surround Sound Hi Fi with Logic 7 and CD changer, auto Bi-XENON headlights, Front and Rear Park assist, Climate Control Heated Windscreen, Venture-cam, Multifunction Heated steering wheel, Electrically adjustable steering column, Power Fold door mirrors, Plus all usual standard high spec including Multiple air bags, Cruise control, 6 CD changer, Fully adjustable air suspension, Land Rover fitted pile car mats, It has a FULL LAND ROVER MAIN DEALER SERVICE HISTORY

TV/Navigation System with TMC, TV/Navigation System with Integrated RDS Cassette, Electric Sunroof, Heated Front & Rear Seats, Heated and Cooled Front Seats with Htd Rear Seats, Climate Control, Park Distance Control, Rear View Camera, 20in 9 Spoke Alloy Wheels, Computer (Driver Information System), Rear Screen Entertainment - DVD, In Car Entertainment (Radio/CD Autochanger), Alarm, Logic 7 Hi-Fi - 14 Speakers Harman Kardon, Personal Telephone Integration, Phone and Voice Recognition

Asking £9990 with a three month warranty but with this mileage (even though history may be well documented) I feel inclined to offer more around £8500/£9000 or have a very comprehensive and longer warranty included for asking price.

Wondering what others might advise?

Cheers
Martin

Post #474858 5th Apr 2018 8:11am
benspray

Hi

I bought an almost identical 4.2 a month ago with 103k on it, I paid quite a bit less than that from a dealer so you should be able to haggle a bit I would think...
ps they are great though Wink

Regards
Ben

Post #474864 5th Apr 2018 8:53am
mjsputney

Hi

I thought as much. It's hard to sometimes put a price tag on these given that a good condition s/c is rarer than other models...and give or take a few hundred quid at this price bracket it's neither here more there.

But like you say...it should be less.

Cheers for the advice.

Martin 1992 Defender 90 200 TDI
2001 Defender 110 TD5
2001 Range Rover 4.6 Vogue
2006 Discovery 3 2.7 TDI

Post #474871 5th Apr 2018 9:14am
roblane65

United Kingdom 

price is over the top for the mileage, Is it a private sale or a dealer ? either way I think ther'e just chancing there luck to see what happens you'd be lucky if you were offered 5K for it part ex So 8.5k me thinks, make an offer I think it will sit around a while at that price. SC myself to pre 07 though and they are nice if its a good one. Range rover 4.2 SC 06MY.

Post #474879 5th Apr 2018 10:48am
mjsputney

Hi

It's a dealer so he has his margin. I'm thinking £8500 too but I want to see all receipts for work carried out otherwise I'll look around. I don't want to walk into £2/3k maintenance costs in the first 1000 miles.

Thanks for your feedback. 1992 Defender 90 200 TDI
2001 Defender 110 TD5
2006 Discovery 3 2.7 TDI

Post #474883 5th Apr 2018 11:09am
roblane65

United Kingdom 

If its a dealer he'll have a big margin in that trust me Wink has he a lot vehicles on the pitch or just a few
if it's only a few he might want a quick turn over . Go see it and the paper work if all is good sus him out be pleasant and make him a one off offer don't waver tell him its all your budget and you'll walk if not accepted
you may well end up pleasantly surprised, were all on the forum but in the real world of general car sales they'e not an easy motor shift hence the older models going to trade for nothing really at auctions. good luck. Thumbs Up Range rover 4.2 SC 06MY.

Post #474889 5th Apr 2018 11:46am
mjsputney

I agree. I'll check it out shortly and see what can be done.

He's got a few cars so not sure how desperate he is but I'll assume he picked it up for around £5k/£6k max!! 1992 Defender 90 200 TDI
2001 Defender 110 TD5
2006 Discovery 3 2.7 TDI

Post #474893 5th Apr 2018 11:53am
roblane65

United Kingdom 

probably less than 5K me thinks Wink you'll have listen to salesman bull***t unless he's decent though
always the same patter worthless/ hard to sell when p/xing super rare and hard to find like this when your buying
but be prepared to walk away and leave a contact number. Range rover 4.2 SC 06MY.

Post #474894 5th Apr 2018 12:09pm
Bellini

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Zermatt Silver

I recognise the background and have an inkling who the dealer is and where they are. Woking area?

Cannot recommend a (good) 4.2SC highly enough. Thumbs Up Si. <This is my name.

I eat rat poison.

A man ain't truly been insulted until he stands buck naked in front of a woman and she didn't even notice. Or care.

Post #474925 5th Apr 2018 6:08pm
mjsputney

Hi Guys

Yes it's Cobham. Baker Brothers.

Had a look at it. I didn't make an offer on it as he was still waiting paperwork to show service history. The receipts that I did see where mostly for consumables so that's ok but I was more looking out for bigger item...and as I havent got all the receipts I cant pass judgement on the mechanical side. However with 156k miles mu instinct tells me there will be a variety of items that will need attention. What gives me this feeling is that on the pics the car looks good ish but upclose there are many imperfections, evidence of some paint work here or there etc. Also little things like a bug being caught in the front light cluster so can be seen when looking at it. I know this is minor and largely irrelevnat but it will irritate me. There were quite a few scratches around the door step etc and from the description i was given it was used as a family mule. They live part UK and part elsewhere...which is weird because looking at the receipts the car was last serviced in may 2015 with 130k on clock so in the last 30 months it has still been actively used as an every day motor covering 26k miles. As there are no service receipts present I suspect there is another round of servicing and maintanence to do...although he says hes waiting on the service book and receipts to arrive as they have been requested from the workshop blah blah.

On a plus it had freshly refurbed alloys and nearly new crossc contact tires so thats nice.

What also got me excited was that for a 2007 the black interior with black panels and black/piano wood trim looks fantastic. I've had a few X5's of late and whilst very nice too, I have to say I think I prefer this cabin.

I have been looking further and now I'm also wondering if its worth waiting/spenidng more on a 2010 model with the newer interior and dash...arghhhh. But to be fair my budget was anywhere between £8k and £13k depending on what comes up and I cant see many 2010 models available with my kind of spec...

Once I find one I'll be looking forward to playing in it...we have already planned doing the Northcoast 500 at the end of August in it so that will be something to look forward to!! 1992 Defender 90 200 TDI
2001 Defender 110 TD5
2006 Discovery 3 2.7 TDI

Post #474987 6th Apr 2018 10:08am
Clabs

United Kingdom 

Martin

For that kind of money, I would expect the car to be in really excellent cosmetic condition but from what you have written, it sounds far from that. Of course, the mechanical condition is important but bodywork/paintwork issues can be so expensive to put right properly.

I would also expect to see a fairly detailed folder with maybe some bigger items like alternator, water pump, air suspension struts, air suspension compressor - that type of thing.

You know the sort of spec you want and the colour combo that you like so my advice would be to walk away from this one and wait for the right car to come along. There likely will be other disappointing cars along the way but if you phone ahead first and specifically ask about the bodywork/paintwork, stuff like that, you should be able to weed out some of the duff ones. Don't get too hung up on items like piano black wood - you could swap these out later if you cannot find a car with them already fitted.

It is also definitely worth keeping an eye on the for sale section on this forum because there are some lovely cars that come up from time to time.

Good luck with your search mate. Current Cars:
MY11 5.0 SC Stornoway - sold
MY06 TD6 Zambezi - sold
1997 BMW E36 M3 Evolution Convertible Estoril

Post #475028 6th Apr 2018 5:20pm
mjsputney

Hi one and all,

OK, bit of an update.

I have looked at three more to me which have all been local...but they were all 3.6 TDV8's

This one is by far the nicest and I actually offered him £11500 which he didn't accept. It's been very well maintained and cared for and I can see why he didn't accept from a sellers percpestive. I think my offer is very fair and inline with market values

What does everyone think?

I think for any more than £11500 I have so much choice I coud start looking at facelift models.

Kinda truggling to find a decent looking Supercharged as I'm quite set on something like Java black exterior with black interior.

More photos on the advert

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/ad...amp;page=1 1992 Defender 90 200 TDI
2001 Defender 110 TD5
2006 Discovery 3 2.7 TDI

Post #475123 7th Apr 2018 2:19pm
gettingold

United Kingdom 

Now that looks a good car but only you can see the detail of it. I just don't get the mudflap thing, I know they're functional but for me it totally destroys the look of the car.

Keep looking.

Steve.

Post #475277 9th Apr 2018 8:51am
mjsputney

To be honest...it's in fab condition...but he wants £12500.

Should I be paying that??

I can hold out for a 2010 model if I stick another grand or two in.

Have to say for a 07 model it's in great nick and has all the right bits like tires etc.

Paintwork is very good. Interior is very good. 1992 Defender 90 200 TDI
2001 Defender 110 TD5
2006 Discovery 3 2.7 TDI

Post #475281 9th Apr 2018 9:03am
paulbrown22

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Supercharged 5.0 SC V8 Stornoway Grey

I'm surprised it's so hard to find a black on black S/C - that's explicitly what I didn't want when I was looking a few months ago, which caused me no end of hassle as at the time I was finding the vast majority of S/C's were in black!

Post #475296 9th Apr 2018 2:28pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>