Home > Technical (L322) > Lots of faults modules not communicating
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
foptics

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Giverny Green
Lots of faults modules not communicating

HI There

This may have been covered before, but with being new here looking for some advice.

I have a L322, V8 diesel, and it has various faults showing, there are a couple of screen shoots from Britpart's iidc tool.

The firs one was when the ABS light is on, and other lights, the car is also saying transmission fault and HDC not working, but the warning light isn't on.

Then sometimes all the warning lights go out, and the car runs great with no problems screen shot form same software when warning lights are off, but the next time I start it there all back.

Hope someone can help, I have had it suggested it's the battery, but the car starts fine, one other thing it may not be connected but the horn doesn't work.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Post #477238 30th Apr 2018 9:08pm
northernmonkeyjones

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black

Try a battery reset.

Check that your alternator is producing a good voltage.

Normally when these types of faults occur it’s power related, low voltages, poor charging, bad battery etc. So have a search on here and there are posts with the correct voltages etc. There is nothing that can't be fixed with a hammer😜😜
FFRR 4.4 SDV8 Autobiography Santorini Black.
Fiat 500x 1.4 multiair Lounge 2015
2010 LR D4 Commercial 2.7 TDV6

Post #477240 30th Apr 2018 9:17pm
Motobox

United Kingdom 2004 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Galway Green

Get the battery tested (foc) at any fast fit place. Although it starts, it can still be leaving the building.

Clear the faults and see what happens. I had loads of faults and no comms on a number of ECUs. I kept clearing and the Comms eventually came back.

Post #477254 1st May 2018 9:19am
foptics

Thank you the people who have responded.

Just a little bit more information.

I went out to the car this morning and unlocked it and put a multimeter on the battery and the voltage was 11.89V (too low in my opinion)

Turning on the Ignition it dropped to 10.96V, and rose back to 11.69V, would think this was the load from all the ecu's turning on and the glow plugs the initial drop down to 10.96v.

On Cranking the battery drops down to 9.6V

After starting it initially goes to 12.34V, then up to 13.6V at idle, after about 10 minutes idling the charge voltage 14.6V, also checked the voltage with the multimeter on AC to see if one of the diodes was dying so AC showing, so assume the alternator is OK.

The batter fitted is a Yuasa Sliver 5000, 019 type, is the correct batter for a 2007 TDV8, as I have read it needs to be a different kind and also seen elsewhere it needs to be a 020 with a high capacity.

Please let me know your thoughts.

Best Regards

ken

Post #477263 1st May 2018 10:24am
Grofus

Ireland 2007 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Zermatt Silver

Your battery is on the way out and most likely the cause of the problems. The modules rely on data from each other and that needs a constant good voltage.
Below 12v on a RR is going to cause issues.

The 019 is the correct size but some folk fit an 020 but they are longer and dont always fit. I recently changed my battery and stuck with an 019 for that reason
In my case the car was starting fine too but getting various electrical niggles. All fine now.
Fatty's are hard on battery's and demand a good one. 2007 Vogue TDV8 in Zermatt Silver with Charcoal

Post #477269 1st May 2018 11:35am
northernmonkeyjones

Battery debate....

019/020 will work but the best for the car is the LR one. Goes in easily and gives pretty much the capacity of the 020 in something the size of an 019.

They tend to last better than the Bosch ones imho. But they are a fair bit more expensive and at the end Of the day are basically a Varta battery.

Pays your money takes your choice. But it does sound battery related.

The 020 is fairly easy to fit you just have to cut off the end base securing flange which isn’t used anyway. There is nothing that can't be fixed with a hammer😜😜

Post #477307 1st May 2018 8:08pm
foptics

Just wondering which battery as some web site like Yuasa, halfrauds & also listed on Varta web site are AGm batteries, stop/ start in other words.

Any advice on normal type or AGM ?

Regards

ken

Post #477319 1st May 2018 9:54pm
Grofus

The charging circuit on your FF is not designed to charge an AGM battery so you won't get the benefit of it. AGM battery's are standard fitment from 2010. 2007 Vogue TDV8 in Zermatt Silver with Charcoal

Post #477333 2nd May 2018 4:37am
mpirie

Scotland 2013 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Luxor

Remember, batteries purchased from ECP usually carry a long guarantee period, and will be replaced free of charge!

So even if they don't last as long as the genuine ones, they can save you money (if not convenience) in the long run.

Mike

Post #477335 2nd May 2018 8:17am
uzp315

I read in the sailors maintenence bible a few years back that once a battery is down to even 12v it needs replacing. Less than 11v and this is serious. Mine was down to 9v last week and I have had a wild array of electrical glitches. I left it on an overnight conditioner and am going to see if I can bring it back to life.
Im also busy trying to chase the source of the flat battery - i.e. the drain that caused it to flatten.

Land Rover told me earlier this week that the LR batteries are not great, and something like the Exide is one of the best options.

ECP - use the discount code sale75 or is it sales75, and the price will drop dramatically. Do this when you select to reserve and collect and you can then be sure of getting the discount. I think it drops the price of the Bosch S4 to about £112.

Post #477351 2nd May 2018 12:55pm
northernmonkeyjones

Try to avoid Bosch S4 and S3, get the S5.

A 2007 tdv8 isn’t set up for charging an AGM battery, as said. The post 2010 are but pre facelift not Thumbs Up There is nothing that can't be fixed with a hammer😜😜

Post #477385 2nd May 2018 9:50pm
foptics

Hi everyone

thank you for all the responses, I will either et the battery checked or just replaced as I don't the history, how old etc, how many times it's being charged etc, as the car had been stood for a while.

best regards

Ken

Post #477390 2nd May 2018 10:17pm
Grofus

I can recommend this as it gives great power without having to mess about trying to fit the 020 size.
http://www.grovesbatteries.co.uk/Car-Batte...7-019.aspx
The voltages you posted up show your battery is on borrowed time. Just change it chap. 2007 Vogue TDV8 in Zermatt Silver with Charcoal

Post #477397 2nd May 2018 11:47pm
northernmonkeyjones

http://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic35207.html

interesting post about repositioning the fusible link to the top of an 020, which would make fitting an 020 much easier. There is nothing that can't be fixed with a hammer😜😜

Post #477442 3rd May 2018 4:31pm
foptics

HI Guys

I hope you can help, I have replaced the battery with the exide one recommended, I'm still getting the communications errors between the modules. Checked with IIDC tool.

There is the odd time when all the fault lights go out, and there doesn't seem to a pattern to it.

one example stared it in the morning, drove two miles, and turned car off, came back to it, started car fault lights went out, drove about 40 miles, turned car off, came back about a hour latter, ABS light on, saying HDC not avalible, suspension lowered, transmission fault etc.

Hope you guys can shed some light on where to start checking etc.

regards

Ken Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8
Volvo S60 2011 D5 Auto

Post #484658 29th Jul 2018 8:59pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>