Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L405) > Urgent help. Brand new L405, resonating noise, drive shaft
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
Print this entire topic · 
Huwrhys

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

This doesn't sound like tyre noise to me, or a wheel bearing. If the sound stops when you take it out of drive then it has to be a drive component. The dealers have already changed the halfshaft so they were thinking along the same lines. A transfer box wine tends to go up and down with speed rather than resonate at a certain speed in my experience and the t/box is still spinning when drive is deselected is it not? Sounds like a gearbox or T/converter issues. I can understand your want to keep it as it's effectively new but I think you need to reject it before it drives you crazy. It will, without doubt, detract from the driving experience every time you get in it and sour what should be great.

Post #482469 3rd Jul 2018 7:26am
hookster

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Stornoway Grey

Hello Everyone.
Here is your 15 week update...yes, you read this right...15.Car bought April..havent seen it now since 6th May.

The car rested at Salmon whilst JLR instructed them to undertake many many audio recordings and other measurements for vibration and the like.

After some 7 weeks the dealership managed to coral from JLR a 405 Loaner to replace the 2018 RRSport from the dealership.

The loaner is a 67 plate L405 Autobiography. It had 5005 miles and has now covered 8700 miles...the fault that mine has, this one has too, but louder. And more resonant This car would be 100k new ?

I was fortunate enough to try another L405 at a competitor dealership to Salmon...they have suffered enough...Same fault though less resonating and so a wee bit quieter....but I digress

At 13 weeks my car was requested to be taken to JLR factory.

It is still with them

Enough is enough and I have contacted the dealer to reject the car under the 30 days warranty clause, and request back my Cheque.

After over 2 decades of faithful ownership, and no little suffering at the cash-point when the faults start, its time to draw a close to my RR adventure

The quality of build is on the slide. The electrics too are suspect...this AB has numerous radio and faults at start-up for the infotainment.The drive trains of 3 model 405 cars display identical whoo-whoo drivetrain faults and are seperated by almost 7000, and then a further 1900, vehicle build number slots respectively from my own.

There is little on the market to compare to their look and the Brand...but what we appear to have now is a hell for leather expansion of the JLR folio of vehicle and little regard for the heritage owners, such as those of us on this here forum innit.

Welcome then to 2018. The year of the face lifted Tata Vogue, the not so new underneath Tata Velar, And soon to be revealed Jaguar-derived Road Ranger Estate cars...by Tata.

Tried a 2017 Q7 today. Who the hell designed this thing inside? Dash and console and switchgear atrocious...yry motoring press in UK hail it as intuitive and one of the best. Nasty plastics too. I can't recommend and didn't test drive.

Looks like we head to a Porsche Panamera for reliable Performance with Luxury, just a shade lower than Bentley...and an Amarok or Ranger pick-up truck for the rest. 2 cars but no compromises. and combined Ill pay 58k with the VAT reclaim on the Pickup. 12k up!!

Happy to list the registration numbers of both my vehicle and the loaner in due course. A number of you have asked me to, so Yes,I will.

I will update you on the wriggling that I suspect Ill encounter regarding my rejection. Nobody does shame any longer.

Best

Gary

Post #486687 20th Aug 2018 9:52pm
Gregzzz

Australia 

Hi - Long time lurker and RRS owner (gasp) . Smile -

I just happened to notice the similarity in symptoms between the OP and this thread on Aulro for a D4:
https://www.aulro.com/afvb/l319-discovery-...-sdv6.html . Maybe totally unrelated but 1 person reports fixed after wheel bearings replaced.

Post #487338 28th Aug 2018 8:06am
AnotherMutley

United Kingdom 

Doubtful that you'll have multiple cars with the same Wheel Bearing issues, all the cars driven by the OP have been low mileage, as far as I know the drivetrain components are the same as on the previous MY cars and nobody is complaining of the same issues.

It might explain why there's so many L405 facelift cars with low mileage "Ex Privately Owned" up on the LR Approved Used site.

Its a real shame that instead of focusing on doing 3 vehicles very well they chose to do several cars badly. Looking around, there's very few genuine alternatives to a L405.

Post #487345 28th Aug 2018 10:38am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123