Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > Resurrecting 4.4 M62 V8 that has seemingly died a death! Hel
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
ohuntsman

United Kingdom 2002 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Zambezi Silver
Resurrecting 4.4 M62 V8 that has seemingly died a death! Hel

Ok so I did a search of the site an google before posting this so excuse me if it is already somewhere but this really got me out of a pickle. Also need some HELP appease Smile

We were travelling from Northumberland to Noth Devon when a few miles from Doncaster the FFRR just bumped and died! Came up like blackpoool illuminations on the dash. AA man had no idea. OBD could not find ecu and whilst the starter solenoid clicked in but did not turn over.
Checked the symptoms in google for a 2002 4.4 litre Range Rover vogue L322 of trans failsafe. Engine fail safe. Hdc inactive. Air suspension inactive. Temp gauge gos to TOP HEAT. Abs inactive. Battery light and found A wonderful thread SADLY on another forum. I’ve mentioned everything again to help anyone else find this in google.
Before this all happened there was a slight smell in the cabin of electrical burning.
Aa man came out and both his and my fault readers powered up off the port but neither could find the ECU.
I thought maybe alternator but the battery had really good charge and AA had a jump pack attached.
AA man thought it had got hot and called a recovery truck - SOP.

Ifound a threwsd on another forum which has great photos but not sure if it is ok to share the link- Dtan?
Low and behold the plug on the stat had melted.
I routinely carry all tools in the RR so whipped off the ecu cover and found a burnt out fuse, fuse 1 30amps.
Replaced the fuse with a spare and cut off the stat plug and taped everything up.
Reconnected the battery and vroom all working.
Left it running and didn’t seem to overheat.
Still got it recovered being 100’s of miles from home and not wanting to risk the stat or head gasket problems and will properly investigate the other end.

HAS ANYONE HAD ANY EXPERIENCE WITH ECU LOSS OF COMMUNICATION?

More importantly for me does the temp reading go all the way to top really fast when there is no ecu communication??

I know the heater in the stat is faulty but at trying to work out if the stat will
Be faulty?? The temperature gauge was faulty?? Or if there is a risk to the head gasket???
Should of said that used the purge screw on the expansion tank to release pressure and there wasn’t much at all and the coolant level was really good.
Side of road test showed the engine warming and the stat opening as temp cooled and rad temp raised.

Post #479106 22nd May 2018 1:05am
RRPhil

United Kingdom 

Quote:
"...A wonderful thread SADLY on another forum..."

I also posted it on here : http://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic19795.html

Phil

Post #479107 22nd May 2018 1:11am
ohuntsman

Amazing Phil!! Such an enormous help today thank you so so much - sorry I didn’t put two and two together!

Any input on the temp gauge and possibility of overheating?

There was no overheating chime and we stopped almost immediately as the lights all came on.

I’m hoping all is ok- perhaps a stat replacement that’s all.

Post #479109 22nd May 2018 1:21am
RRPhil

United Kingdom 

Are you saying that your temperature gauge is still pegged at maximum, even though you've sorted the wiring short and replaced Fuse 1?

Phil

Post #479110 22nd May 2018 1:53am
ohuntsman

No it is at normal.

BUT it was pegged at maximum when the fuse was broken- I was trying to understand if the pegging was because of the fuse or hot coolant

Post #479123 22nd May 2018 10:24am
ohuntsman

(I’m worried about the head gasket)

Post #479124 22nd May 2018 10:25am
RRPhil

United Kingdom 

The thermostat is mechanically set to open around 105°C.

Click image to enlarge

When current is applied to the electrical heater the thermostat will open at a lower temperature. Generally, the controller uses the electrically heated thermostat to maintain the coolant temperature between 80°C and 103°C. At part load, the current is turned off to operate the coolant as hot as possible (for fuel economy/minimise emissions), and I frequently measured coolant temperatures of 110°C with my Faultmate in these conditions.

If the electrical heater fails then the thermostat will still operate as a ‘normal’ thermostat and keep the engine safe. The pegged coolant temperature gauge is caused by the electrical fault and doesn’t represent the true coolant temperature. I really wouldn’t worry. Just replace the connector and the thermostat assembly and I'm sure all will be well.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Phil

Post #479133 22nd May 2018 1:13pm
ohuntsman

What a relief in reference to the pegged temp gauge. I had a feeling that would be the case but I didn’t want to rely on said hunch given the fact that my pregnant partner, two year old son and I were 500 miles from home!

Thank you as always for your invaluable forum input Phil.

Will order a new stat now and will probably look to do the lower temp mod on Haylands advice & tuck the connector away.

Have a great day!

Post #479137 22nd May 2018 2:06pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1