Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > L322 Audio System Melt-Down
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Soupdragon

England 2003 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 V8 Stornoway Grey
L322 Audio System Melt-Down

My 2004 L322 Vogue is playing up and I wondered whether anyone had any ideas or suggestions..........

I had to jump-start the car a few days ago and used the posts provided, not the battery itself, which wasn't totally flat. Since then the radio/CD player hasn't worked. The left-hand control on the fascia doesn't work or become illuminated and the icon for the graphic equaliser has disappeared from the screen menu. All the other options are available, although the TV will function without sound only. I've checked the fuse board and all appears fine, nothing blown.

I'm a bit confused and don't know where to start. Is there an ECU that has overall control of the audio system and, if so, does it have its own fuse? It seems odd that if something has fried itself in the jump-starting operation that a fuse didn't blow first.

Oddly, and it may be pure coincidence, but problems seem to occur just after it has been to the dealer for a service!

Any input much appreciated. Rules are made for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men.

Post #50014 13th Feb 2011 5:41pm
elpeede

England 2003 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Zambezi Silver

I had similar problems when my Nav died.. graphic equaliser disappeared and the display changed to a blue screen with horrid fonts. Incidentally this happened just after I had changed the battery but was probably a coincidence as the post mortem on the nav showed serious corrosion and furing on the circuit board. Landrover now make a water shedder (do a search) to prevent water ingress. Basically a posh bag!

Of course the other well documented problem is that if the voltages are low then the systems start to shut down to preserve the battery for starting and other more essential operations. Again tests for the battery are well documented.. 12 volts doesn't cut it as the FFRR is very hungry for power.

Finally you could have bricked the unit due to an arc on the leads. It may be that disconnecting the battery using the correct procedure (do a search or read the manual) and reconnecting it will reset the unit. I recently had a dashboard die on a Renault following a jump start , even following the correct procedure. One gem I picked up is to have the sidelights on in future when jump starting as the bulbs will help absorb any spike in the electrics which would otherwise be purely absorbed by any other electrical system on at the time.

So in order of importance
1. Get the battery properly drop tested - if knackered replace with the correct spec. If you do it yourself check how to put the bonnet in to "service" position.
2. If the battery turns out to be OK then try the disconnect and rest.
3. If you get this far its looking expensive Sad 2010 Disco XS TDV6, 2009 Freelander 2 GS

Previous Landrover products -1990 110 TDI CSW, 2003 TD6 Vogue - RRC TD Vogue, RRC v8 Fleetline, Disco ES V8 LPG, 101 Ambulance "Morph", 1964 SIIa Auto Powered by Jag 4.2 Lump - "Percy".

Post #50029 13th Feb 2011 7:23pm
Soupdragon

England 2003 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 V8 Stornoway Grey

Thanks for the advice, much appreciated.

The battery responds fine to a drop-test so not sure what had caused it to drain. Anyway, I'm going to disconnect the battery and see if everything re-boots on reconnection. Will I just be able to remove the negative or does the positive have to come off as well? I'm au-fait with the procedure and just hope it helps, are you suggesting that if it doesn't then the whole audio system is lunched? I hope not!

Roland Rules are made for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men.

Post #50172 14th Feb 2011 5:38pm
elpeede

England 2003 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Zambezi Silver

Pining down exactly what will be the problem..

The NAV is easy to disconnect and if it makes no difference disconnected then its a starter for ten.

It may be my battery demise was due to a constant short on the sat nav.. who knows Confused

I do know that once the Sat nav was replaced my DSP came back to life... infact I used the opportunity to updrage to a mkIV nav.

One lead off should be fine having given time for the systems to shut down after ign off (2 mins if I recall correctly) 2010 Disco XS TDV6, 2009 Freelander 2 GS

Previous Landrover products -1990 110 TDI CSW, 2003 TD6 Vogue - RRC TD Vogue, RRC v8 Fleetline, Disco ES V8 LPG, 101 Ambulance "Morph", 1964 SIIa Auto Powered by Jag 4.2 Lump - "Percy".

Post #50182 14th Feb 2011 6:42pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1