Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L405) > L405 Engine Blown - 2013 Model Less than 50K miles on clock
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
waqaveli

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue TDV6 Barolo Black
L405 Engine Blown - 2013 Model Less than 50K miles on clock

Apologies in advanced for the really long post!

I had purchased my first ever Range Rover Vogue (2013) second hand in barolo black from a well known reputable dealership 2 years ago.

I purchased the car on 28k mileage with full service history, well looked after and no issues.

Since then I’ve had no problems with it. Always taken it to Land Rover for servicing and any changes that needed doing.

*I should mention that the car is no longer under warranty and does not have extended warranty*

I recently had a 50-60k service done on the car. The cars mileage is now 48k.
A week after the service I was driving on the motorway (M1) in the overtaking lane when suddenly there was a loud bang and a puff of black smoke. The car lost control and lost power completely. Thankfully I was able to somehow get it over to the hard shoulder. The car wouldn’t start again. I got out to noticed a big oil leak underneath.

Anyway car was towed to Land Rover. I phoned Land Rover and asked if they could film my car when they assessed it. They assured me this would be the case. Reason why I wanted it to be filmed was because I had lost faith in Land Rover once when they recalled my car after putting the incorrect oil into it during a service. The person on the other side assured me they would film it. Anyway they weren’t able to look at it till a day after.

When I called in to see what had happened the service team member called down to find out. He then hurriedly went into the managers office without saying anything to me, then came back out and said unfortunately your engines blown. Apparently a nut/rod had come loose internally and gone through the engine. Before I could say anything he said we are doing our best to approve a good will gesture for a new engine.
I obviously asked for specifics and the video assessment which was requested etc but was fobbed off for days which would be a waste of text if I got into specifics about. Still no specific details in text or video and it’s been over a week and a half later.

Anyway 3 days ago JLR had returned to Land Rover with a response that they will process a 40% good will gesture which leaves me with only £8,146 to pay for parts and labor!

Has anyone had any experiences like this or knows anyone that has? What are my options? I’m not the most clued up guy when it comes to engine specifics etc but when I did a quick google search i found that some of the L405 models were recalled because of engine crank shaft problems, maybe mine could’ve slipped through the net.
It seems odd that a Diesel engine in what is supposed to be a high end car would just randomly blow with less than 50k miles on the clock.

Really been devastated with this news tbh. I’ve been off road for a few days but now I’m forced to hire a car as I’m a doctor and need a car to attend my hospital shifts. Land Rover refuse to provide a courtesy car.

Is 40% the best I can hope for? Don’t insurance cover these kindve claims? Or will I have to suck it up and fork out these funds some how?

Any advice/constructive input is greatly appreciated Big Cry

Last edited by waqaveli on 17th Jun 2018 9:47pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #481217 17th Jun 2018 9:34pm
Red Merle

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Aintree Green

There has been instances of the V6’s failing, with either spun main bearings or snapped cranks, although it does seem as common as some of the internet stories would have you believe. Still an unwelcome shock though!

I’m not aware of any recalls.

You’ll have to pick the useful information out from amongst the hype, but this is a good place to start:

http://www.disco4.com/forum/crankshaft-failure-148893.html

For a car that was purchased used, two years out of warranty, with no extended cover, I’d say a good will payment of 40% isn’t bad.

Post #481218 17th Jun 2018 9:45pm
Alistair

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

If you have any hard evidence that they put incorrect oil in during a service - that’s where i’d be pushing..........

Post #481230 18th Jun 2018 4:52am
Bill

United Kingdom 

I’m no expert....just musing

‘Sales of goods act ‘ & ‘fit for purpose ‘springs to mind. Real balls ache going to court.. but depends if you can be bothered. Warranty period isn’t relevant.

The car has been looked after and should be good for 150000 miles...

There’s 40 percent of offer from Range Rover, perhaps the dealer wishes to make a contribution... it’s possible it’s their mistake anyway...another 30 percent , leaving you with 30 percent might help. Within the same sentence ask to see the engine , and the far flung bolt/rod, it is after all yours!

Bill Filters are in fact so good that in certain circumstances, when the ambient air is already polluted, a diesel car will tend to extract more particles from the air than it emits. Emissions Analytics worked with........etc etc

He who dies with the most toys wins...

Post #481239 18th Jun 2018 8:46am
Alistair

It's a well documented failure

http://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic45832.html

Post #481247 18th Jun 2018 9:15am
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

this is certainly a concern to any one who has a 3.0 L405... ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #481251 18th Jun 2018 9:39am
CS

Scotland 2017 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Corris Grey

My sympathy to you, very disappointing at that age/mileage.

The SoGA/Consumer Rights Act deems faults becoming apparent within 6 months of purchase to have been present at sale, but after that you'd have to prove that was the case, which I expect would be very difficult, especially after two years. LR would probably say that you could have chosen to buy an extended warranty (maybe £1300 pa?) and didn't do so. 40% goodwill is maybe not that bad in the scheme of things, albeit it does leave you with a large cost.

You might explore the possibility of getting help from them to move on to another vehicle (if you could stand the thought of another RR). The dealer might be able to mend your traded in car at trade cost and so the overall deal might make more sense and you could move to a different engine - the 4.4 SDV8 and 5.0SC seem to have fewer problems.

Good luck. Only Range Rovers since 1988

Post #481264 18th Jun 2018 12:16pm
JackRegan

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Autobiography TDV6 Waitomo Grey

Sorry to hear about your news.

Before you begin to negotiate the level of a goodwill gesture, you need to know exactly what failed, how it failed and what damage was caused as a consequence of the failure. Are there any safety measures that should have prevented such damage, if not why not?

To provide such a sweeping account/reason for failure is poor, its funny how in the same breath they are able to quote you to the exact pound the cost for replacing the engine with labor though.

Have you seen this nut/rod that is supposed to have come lose? It is vital this item is secured and available for inspection. I wouldn't at this stage go hunting through internet threads looking for your reason, as well intended as they are, very few contain first hand experience, rather it's someone they know or a friends knows, or they have read about it elsewhere on the internet.

The more informed you become about what exactly went wrong in your instance the better position you will be in to begin to talk about the level of good will gesture or ex-gratia contribution. Then move on to getting a reduction in the labor rate to warranty level work, a discount on the parts and a contribution towards the VAT element.

Good luck 2016MY TDV6 Autobiography
2011MY 5.0 Supercharged Autobiography Black - Gone
2005 TD6 Vogue - Gone

Post #481276 18th Jun 2018 1:28pm
Bill

United Kingdom 

I believe the period , of time for defective goods is six YEARS

Just principle tells you, you are right... the car should be good for years if well looked after ... as many on this forum can confirm.

Check out the citz advice web site

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/consumer...-used-car/

JLR / dealer have to give in to you .. Why? You nearly had an accident .., with a FFRR you could easily kill someone. This is like BMW and their recent inherent / latent fault

I don’t believe in court as it’s a nightmare... but the VEILED threat may bring your dealer to his senses. You must be willing to go thru with a court case or the threat has no value.

The JLR rep on this web site should be all over this issue and be helping/ it’s a real problem for them.

Bill Filters are in fact so good that in certain circumstances, when the ambient air is already polluted, a diesel car will tend to extract more particles from the air than it emits. Emissions Analytics worked with........etc etc

Last edited by Bill on 17th Sep 2018 6:28pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #481286 18th Jun 2018 2:38pm
Bill

United Kingdom 

Just a further thought...

Do u have legal insurance with your car, or even with your house... might cover you...maybe it’s a contractual issue not just breakdown.

Rgds

Post #481296 18th Jun 2018 6:14pm
cass

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Causeway Grey

Probably not what you want to hear but if it was me I'd jump at the 40% contribution.
I agree that these sorts of faults shouldn't happen but the sad fact is that they do and JLR are masters at avoiding accepting the blame for things like this so I suspect that any effort to push for more would be futile. Nobody can seriously expect the dealer to accept any responsibility 2 years after selling the car.
The average age of cars on the road in the UK is less than 10 years so it could be argued that at 5 years old this is statistically half way to the scrap yard so offering almost half the repair cost isn't so unreasonable?
I know we don't all scrap our cars at 10 years old - I run 2 that are 15 years old, and we expect Rangerovers to last longer but I'm just pointing out how this could be seen by someone less interested in cars as we are.

Post #481311 18th Jun 2018 9:50pm
Grofus

Ireland 2007 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Zermatt Silver

With 48k on the clock and full service history I'd be telling LR to get it sorted and pay a minimum 60% on the parts and provide the labour free.
If their engine was designed properly you shouldnt be getting that sort of issue for another 100k miles or so if at all. Engine wear is one thing. Parts failure is quite another. Depends how insistant you are prepared to be. If it was me, I would be going out of my way to be the biggest pain until they played ball.
An independent engineers report on the issue, or even the threat of one might sway them.
Good luck. 2007 Vogue TDV8 in Zermatt Silver with Charcoal

Post #481397 19th Jun 2018 10:34pm
CUE99T

Scotland 

So here’s my two cents:

Personally I buy cars that have a warranty to avoid this type of thing as I think luxury good that don’t have a warranty leave you
Open to this sort of crap, anyhow what I personally would do is put everything in writing, from a solicitor and then it becomes formal and will bring a sense of not messing about.

I would ask for pictures or video of the “story” ASAP!!

Then I would suggest to JLR that you’re going to hire a like for like replacement whilst your car sits with a dealer and you will expect This to take months to resolve and can afford (using your doctor status) and to help save lives have a reliable car which yours was clearly not, and if you are successful in claiming for a total loss then this 8k will be a drop in the ocean to their costs of a hire car, which you can hire via Europecar to get a cost.

I did this with my Lambo when the main dealer didn’t put locktite on the nuts when putting the drive shafts on. And my friend recognised that from the pictures hey sent me so those pictures are mandatory!!!!

Apart from the usual stuff, just keep it factual and suggest you’re happy to cover the cost of about 2k at he most and see where that takes you.

Hope that helps stimulate the ideas.

Paul all smug in my new plug!

2021 Westminster Black D300
2013 Vogue SE - gone
Some Porsche Cayenne guff pretending to be a 4x4!!
2006 Vogue
2004 Vogue
2001 Vogue

Post #481399 19th Jun 2018 11:01pm
Alistair

I'll say it again as no-one else has - go after the dealer for a contribution if they put the wrong oil in.

I wouldn't mention knowledge of any others failing - but 40% sounds like the 'normal' LR contribution for a full main dealer serviced car going pop. I don't think you'll get more from them.

The dealer is different though - I'd press them very hard to explain & evidence the cause of the failure and prove that it wasn't caused by the incorrect oil that they put in.

The dealer contribution will be over & above the LR contribution.

I think you'll still end up with a bill, just do what you can to reduce it.

Post #481410 20th Jun 2018 7:15am
Vogue

United Kingdom 

Speaking from personal experiences over 45 years of LR vehicles and several engine replacements both in and out of warranty you will be extremely unlikely to get more than a 40% contribution given the vehicles age, mileage and lack of warranty. I have been there several times and so have a few friends and family members.

I know it grates but I would accept it and move on - remember goodwill gestures can also be withdrawn.

Edited to add one of my claims a few years ago involving a RR of similar miles, LR supplied the engine and I paid for the dealer labour and sundries. Depending on labour rates there is probably little in it contribution wise. 2021 L405 Vogue SE 4.4 V8 DIESEL ~ #17

Post #481433 20th Jun 2018 11:49am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>