Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > General (L405) > L405 debate.....
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
barrieeld

L405 debate.....

OK i have been looking around for a new 4x4 and explored all the usual suspects, Q7, Cayenne, x5, RR Sport etc etc

As a previews FFRR owner i see no direct competitor so look like I'm going to be back in the fold...but before i do i have some questions..

I don't fancy the "thirst" of the SDV8 so have whittled down my choices to the 3.0 Diesel and the 3.0 HEV hybrid car.

Just wondering if there is anything i should be aware of especially in hybrid form? (these HEV cars are silly low miles is there a reason for this?)

As a previous FFRR 35th anniversary owner i love the Ruffina Red colour seen around, but they seem pretty rare and prob only on 5.0 V8 cars so wondered what other premium metallic colours would be good to go for? and what options are a must?

any help folks would be greatly appreciated looking forward to getting back into RR ownership Range Rover SC 35th Anniversary 2006

Post #480104 4th Jun 2018 11:59am
Red Merle

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Aintree Green

It is a used version you’re looking for, isn’t it?

The 3.0 HEV is going to be as rare as hen’s teeth on the used market as hardly any were sold new. I would be concerned about the trade not wanting to touch it in future.

How thirsty do you expect the SDV8 to be? Even driving 35,000 miles a year, I find the difference in fuel cost marginal within the overall costs of running the car and while the SDV6 is a nice motor, the handling and power delivery of the V8 are very different and well worth the extra! Very Happy The V8 also has a reputation for being robust.

All the rest really is down to personal taste and needs Thumbs Up

Post #480109 4th Jun 2018 1:06pm
barrieeld

Hi thanks for the reply,

one of the things that took the shine off my last ownership was the fuel (4.2 SC) ive heard a lot of good reports on the 3.0 diesel but not direct comparison in the real world vs the SDV8 so i would be interested in the fuel comparison on typical commute traffic if anyone has that?

i was really intrigued with what the HEV offers (as most of my driving is city) but like everyone else I wonder about reliability...perhaps this is why there selling used examples with 2k miles for £50k! Range Rover SC 35th Anniversary 2006

Post #480112 4th Jun 2018 1:41pm
Bill

United Kingdom 

I love the power in the Tdv8. Fuel? depending on how hard I thrash it, but a steady 70mph returns 32mpg . In town depends on how long the traffic jam is

Bill Filters are in fact so good that in certain circumstances, when the ambient air is already polluted, a diesel car will tend to extract more particles from the air than it emits. Emissions Analytics worked with........etc etc

He who dies with the most toys wins...

Last edited by Bill on 3rd Jul 2018 2:33pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #480116 4th Jun 2018 2:21pm
Red Merle

The one thing that I am blessed with is not having to sit in commute traffic, A road, B roads and country lanes only, so I can't help you there. What kills it for me is narrow lanes and lots of hills.

I can tell you that the fuel economy of my SDV8 Range Rover is virtually identical to that of my old SDV6 Disco 4 though!

Post #480120 4th Jun 2018 2:43pm
CS

Scotland 2017 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Corris Grey

If you have not already done so, have a look at the petrol v diesel article on the landrover uk website. You don't say how old a car you are thinking of, but some 3.0 TDV6 engines have had problems. Search on here for more detail. Also, consider whether your commute will allow enough steady speed driving to avoid problems with DPF fill-up and/or excessive AdBlue use/dump of diesel into engine oil and hence reduced service intervals etc. Consider the Scottish Govt (dependent on the Green Party to get indyref2 away) and the council in your commute area imposing diesel unfriendly policies. For example Edinburgh has "consulted" on higher resident parking charges for diesels.

If you are really doing lots of town driving and no towing then the 2.0 PHEV might suit you, MY2018 on only of course and there seem to have been delays in production which might put you off as it is a new product, maybe better to let things bed in for a while before you buy. Only Range Rovers since 1988

Post #480123 4th Jun 2018 2:55pm
barrieeld

Thanks for the replies, really helpful. I'm looking for a 2015/2016 car in autobiography/vogue se spec.

I really like the new 2018 hybrid cars but they are a little out of my budget at the moment.

I won't be doing too many miles probably about 8 -10 thousand per year which is why i felt the original hybrid diesel in 2015 would have been a good buy since it could help with being caught in the commute.

I was drawn by the sales pitch of the HEV having the power of the big diesel but the economy which is better than the 3.0D Smile Range Rover SC 35th Anniversary 2006

Post #480143 4th Jun 2018 8:08pm
Red Merle

Using some fairly rough arithmetic:

Assuming 10,000 miles a year, £1.329 per litre and fuel consumption figures of 25 vs 30mpg, the difference in cost would equate to £1,200 over 3 years. That’s probably equal to around 5% of the depreciation incurred over the same period.

Why compromise?

Post #480151 4th Jun 2018 8:38pm
Montys 4x4

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography TDV6 Carpathian Grey

From a 3.0 TDV6 owner in discussion with JLR, Dealership and Black Horse Finance I would say avoid this engine due to the oil dilution issue brought about by Powertrain/JLR increasing the DPF regeneration timing to keep this engine just over the line on compliance with EU6 regulations. I have been told and its also been mentioned on the forum that JLR will not be selling diesel engine vehicles come September when EU6+ comes in (I'm sure this will be overcome in time as diesel might be the euro/uk pariah but the rest of the world survives on it). I have now had a multitude of excuses including blaming my driving style for the 16% oil dilution found by LR after a service warning light came on at 5,800 miles (others on the forum are experiencing the same). I have offered my experiences to JLR Technical department to see if some solution could be brought about but have also been told that no investigation or software update to the increased oil servicing/dilution is envisaged. I suspect there will now be a bunch of LR vehicles which will become the model year 16-17.5 not to own. Nobody appears to have the dilution issue with the 4.4 V8 Diesel and the JLRP00100 SCN to be found in other posts just details the 2.0 and 3.0 diesels only.
I would say if JLR end up being clobbered over the dilution issue and have to cover increased servicing cost and premature engine failure the 3.0 does give exceptional mpg my own commute which is 50-60mph on a daily return commute of 100 miles is a constant 40.5 mpg indicated on the dash this has actually gone up since cancelling the stop start on every trip from 38.5 mpg which is amazing considering some of my tank refills are ending up in the sump during regeneration cycles.
L405 is still the best Range Rover produced and the most comfortable place to be for any driving.
Paul Journey started in a LR2B at 16 and has incl. just about every Land Rover, Disco, RRS and Range Rover Vehicle owned or driven, I even worked for the company when it was owned by BAe - It must be a madness!!! because to add to my 4.4 TDV8 Westminister In Baltic Blue I bought a second L322 as a commuter bus, TD6 2004 Vogue in Oslo Blue with cream leather now both gone replaced with what could turn out to be my biggest mistake. Carpathian Grey ivory interior 3.0 tdv6 Autobiog. 2017

Post #480197 5th Jun 2018 12:05pm
charlie croker mk2

England 

OP : Just be aware that there are 2 versions of the hev 3.0.The earlier EU5 is slightly lower power and higher road tax and the EU6 versions @164g/km which is the higher power. I have the later type any its very good, it will only run on batteries for a short time but every start from stationary is battery unless you use plenty of throttle. Reply if you need any more info. PS all the HEV are autobiography.

Post #480320 6th Jun 2018 10:32pm
CUE99T

Scotland 

Quick one on this - Does the HEV have the space for a deployable Towbar?

Cheers
Paul all smug in my new plug!

2021 Westminster Black D300
2013 Vogue SE - gone
Some Porsche Cayenne guff pretending to be a 4x4!!
2006 Vogue
2004 Vogue
2001 Vogue

Post #482485 3rd Jul 2018 11:15am
charlie croker mk2

England 

Almost certain its a standard feature operated by the buttons in the boot area next to the seat recliner buttons.

Post #482496 3rd Jul 2018 1:59pm
CUE99T

Scotland 

Nice one Charlie. all smug in my new plug!

2021 Westminster Black D300
2013 Vogue SE - gone
Some Porsche Cayenne guff pretending to be a 4x4!!
2006 Vogue
2004 Vogue
2001 Vogue

Post #482704 5th Jul 2018 6:14pm
Alistair

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

charlie croker mk2 wrote:
Almost certain its a standard feature operated by the buttons in the boot area next to the seat recliner buttons.

Really ? Standard feature when it's a 1k option on other models ?

The PHEV has reduced towing capacity @2.5T anyway - and towing will kill the range - so it's unlikely they will pitch it as a tow car.....

Post #482740 6th Jul 2018 8:52am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1