Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays > My camping trip to the Continent.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 5 of 5 <12345
Print this entire topic · 
Huwrhys

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

Excellent system though. So much more than you'd expect. It takes away the looking for a level pitch and lets you pitch where you want.

Post #497249 1st Dec 2018 7:36pm
nambFFRR

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Corris Grey

Got a quote.....£3105 😳 for the full system. I’ll put it on my Father Christmas list 🎅🏻

Post #497421 3rd Dec 2018 1:30pm
Tinman

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Silicon Silver

Yep, that's what I paid last week well worth it I did try shopping around, and there is no discount anywhere?

Post #497425 3rd Dec 2018 1:34pm
Huwrhys

It really is a game changer, it makes the whole set up so simple. Imagine as you do it now. You look for somewhere level across the axles and if you can't find a decent pitch you have to get ramps out to lift one side or the other. Now imagine doing that on your own. You're in and out of the car trying to get the across ways level before you can apply the handbrake and chocks. Then it's pretty simple to get the jockey wheel to level fore and aft if it's within the scope of the jockey wheel. If you have to move the jockey wheel you need to drop the steadies to reposition the jockey and then retract the steadies etc etc. Once level front to back, you deploy the steadies either by brace or drill.
Now imagine you have an E&P system. Pull up where you want to be (within reason of course) and unhitch. Ensure the caravan is nose down as it can't lift the jockey wheel so needs the "slack" to lift or lower as required. Then press a button. I usually hit the satellite dish button and then the E&P and it just gets on with it whilst I get the hook up cable out and go and fill the Aquaroll. Literally I can be up and running within 10-15 minutes if I get stuck in and that's on my own. Less than 10 minutes if the wife's there. I've been all over the place with this caravan (France, Spain, Holland, Belgium, Luxembourg, Austria, Germany, Italy, Slovenia and Croatia) and the system has been brilliant on every kind of terrain in every country on every occasion. It most definitely is worth every penny.

Post #497433 3rd Dec 2018 2:47pm
nambFFRR

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Corris Grey

Sounds good but I really can’t think where I’ve ever had a problem with levelling the caravan....ever. I’ve been on some really steep pitches but my manovering and caravan mover seems put my van where I want it even when resorting to ramps/wooden blocks. The trouble with really steep pitches is it limits where your awning fits (or not). I either use an awning or sun canopy depending on my stay duration. If I was simply hopping from site to site I might have considered a motor home but they are too limiting for general transport. If the pitch is so steep, I’d question where the outfit was properly stable anyway no matter what was used for levelling - hydraulic systems or blocks of wood etc.

So yes, I can see the attraction of the E&P system but I can’t say I’ve ever had a levelling issue in my 40odd years of towing. I’m still a relatively fit 60yr old so no hardship with a few ramps and electric drill.

For me the number one caravan tool of choice is the motor mover.....how we all managed without them years ago I have no idea!

Post #497461 3rd Dec 2018 6:09pm
Huwrhys

What I said was nothing to do with capability. I fully understand what's required to do it manually and am able to do it without the automatic system. I just don't want to.

Edit: I should also add that stability is never a problem, there is no suspension travel in the suspension arms as the rams are bolted directly to the axle (Which is in turn bolted directly to the chassis) so there is zero "bounce" in the centre of the caravan. Unlike a normal set up where the caravan sits on it's wheels (Which are suspended on rubber torsion suspension arms) so allows the caravan to move as much as the chassis will bend as the steadies are fixed directly to the chassis/caravan at either end with no suspension. This movement is known as bounce.

Post #497463 3rd Dec 2018 6:15pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 5 of 5 <12345