Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > 4.4TDV8 P040D-00(2F) EGR temp sensor A - Where's the sensor?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 9 of 14 <123 ... 8910 ... 121314>
Print this entire topic · 
mpirie

Scotland 2013 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Luxor

Cam-Tech-Craig wrote:
Mike, if it were me I would ring all of your local MD’s and simply say, I have this fault code, which relates to this problem, I know JLR give you a book time of 0.8hrs to do the job, what is worst case scenario please? What happens if the thing snaps off? Etc etc etc and then see what their response is?

Thumbs Up

Thanks Craig....good idea.

I'll report back what they say.....once I've stopped laughing at their quote Thumbs Up

Mike

Post #490561 1st Oct 2018 4:23pm
Cam-Tech-Craig

England 2015 Range Rover SVAutobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

Bit of an update... The book time at Heritage is 1.6hrs and the part has increased in value to £80ish quid...

They have agree'd a price of £178+VAT to do my probe as the warranty won't cover it... Hmmm we will see what happens there after JLR customer care get involved! Neutral

Anyways, just wanted to give you guys the heads up as to where your price point should be if your paying at JLR Thumbs Up

Post #491493 8th Oct 2018 8:35pm
mpirie

Surely the warranty would cover it?

It's not a consumable item is it?

Mike

Post #491495 8th Oct 2018 8:51pm
Cam-Tech-Craig

Apparently warranty won't cover the coolant leak either! Yet they have just changed the front shockers!!! Bizarre! Like i said, we'll see what they say once JLR CS get involved!

But either way, £180 to do that probe is money well spent IMHO... Whistle Whistle Whistle Thumbs Up

Post #491496 8th Oct 2018 8:55pm
GGDR

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Stornoway Grey

Thanks for letting us know. Thumbs Up Is Heritage your 'usual' MD Craig?

There's a chap on another thread that's been quoted by his Indy I think it was £587+vat so your MD price is excellent.

I've not rang a MD as I don't have a relationship, so I would be going in cold. Not sure If I can just rock up and ask for a P040D-00(2F) EGR temp sensor A replacement and nothing else, no service, just that for £200.

If anyone else can get it for £200-odd then bite their hand off!

Mine: I ordered a long 13mm socket (75mm length) then it this weekend I tried it but it's still too short. A std socket plus a 125mm extension is too long so I've ordered a 75mm extension, which will be 90mm overall with a std socket on the end.

I also ordered a long reach ratchet handle. Something as long as a breaker bar but with ratcheting because the rotation I'll (hopefully) get is very limited. Might work, might not either!

My problem is I only get time on weekends so I try something, then order a new tool and wait till I get time the following weekend. So it's a slow process.

If I'm successful (god I hope so) I'll post up a guide with the tools I end up using.

. Cheers, Greg
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
2011 Vogue SE 4.4 with lots of toys in Stornaway

Post #491499 8th Oct 2018 9:05pm
Cam-Tech-Craig

No, Heritage are some half an hour away from us and I've never been there as a Heritage branded garage, was Stratstones before and i knew them but all the old Stratstones guys have left now...

So, my local MD have lost staff recently and don't have the correctly trained staff to do the warranty work necessary on my car! This is why i have gone elsewhere and as far as I'm aware, That price quoted is slightly discounted but anyone can ask for this process to be carried out there...

They have quoted me £1800 for other works warranty won't cover! I can obviously do most of these jobs myself so, the only job i didn't want to do, the probe! I asked for them to do before i collect... Thumbs Up

Post #491507 8th Oct 2018 9:36pm
Cam-Tech-Craig

Just a quick update for you.

Car was collected today and the bill for:-

Temperature sensor left exhaust manifold error code P0204d. PCM code logged is EGR temp sensor a circuit high.

Part no, LRO52169 £79.20

Labour £96.00

Total incl VAT £210.24

Post #491820 10th Oct 2018 9:39pm
GGDR

Major update from me:

SENSOR IS OUT!!!!! SENSOR IS OUT!!!!! SENSOR IS OUT!!!!! SENSOR IS OUT!!!!!

I'll list out tools once it's all done. I bought several 1/2 inch ratchet drives. The one that did it had a kind of bendy head. Together with exactly the right length of extension on a 13mm socket, I levered on it and it cracked loose.

I was worried as these round off through being heat-fixed in place. YouTube vids show most people Oxy torch-ing them but I don't have an Oxy and there's no room anyway. One member got in contact with me (and probably others had this I'm sure); his job spiralled out of control because if the nut rounds, or shears off the whole manifold will have to come off. He told me he faced a £2k bill putting it all right.

So I took precautions, like using a closed (i.e. normal) socket instead of the special tool with has a slit opening. I also made sure I had a 6-on-6 socket, not a multi-point. Anything that might have risked rounding the nut I tried to eliminate. In the video below the guy mentioned that a 1/2 inch fits over the sensor nut a bit more snugly than the 13mm.

All mine had was WD40 every weekend I'd attempted this for the last four weeks, including one today around two hours before I tried with the socket. I was driving it through the week(s) so I thought the heat would burn off the WD40. But it came loose relatively easily.

Breaking off the sensor (which I'd done a week or two ago see ^^^) turned out a last hurdle as the needle of the sensor remained in it's dark hole after the nut came out. It broke off flush leaving nothing to grip but if I'd cut it off and left a stem, would have been better. I tried a magnet but that didn't work then I went off and bought some micro pliers but these didn't work as there was nothing to grip so I used a long small self tapping screw to push in to the tiny cable hole in the centre, twist to get a grip and extract the needle end. Here is the old sensor in three pieces:

New one on the left for comparison.

I've not got the new one in. Dinner stopped play!
But I'm feeling quite chuffed and tomorrow the new one'll go in.

I'll re-bend the heat shields into position and test her out.

Can't wait!

Here's a close-up old vs new. New is the top one. They are noticeably different.
You can see the break was flush with the stopper and that's why it took another hour once the nut was out.

This guy (different vehicle) cuts it but leaves a stem:

. Cheers, Greg
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Last edited by GGDR on 14th Oct 2018 7:07am. Edited 9 times in total

Post #492128 13th Oct 2018 5:41pm
Bushy30

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Galway Green

Congratulations Smile Current: 2011 FFRR Vogue SE 4.4 TDV8
Previous: -
2004 FFRR Vogue 4.4 V8 with LPG
1997 P38 4.0 SE with LPG
1997 P38 4.6 Vogue with LPG

Post #492129 13th Oct 2018 5:45pm
Baltic Blue

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Baltic Blue

Well done Greg.
I admire your determination to see the job through.

Do you fancy doing another one next weekend Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

Mike. G reg 2.5VM Vogue Portofino red 1991- 1999
V reg 2.5td P38 Rioja red 1999- 2006
53 reg td6 Vogue Oslo blue 2006- 2015
11 reg 4.4 TdV8 Vogue SE. Baltic blue 2015- date.
https://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic56162...tty+affair

Post #492147 13th Oct 2018 7:25pm
Cam-Tech-Craig

YAY........ Well done Greg Thumbs Up Bow down Bow down Bow down

Post #492153 13th Oct 2018 7:56pm
mpirie

Baltic Blue wrote:
Do you fancy doing another one next weekend Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

Maybe we could have a group buy? Whistle

Mike

Post #492195 14th Oct 2018 8:51am
Cam-Tech-Craig

Greg, out of interest could you report back as to if there is any difference with engine noise and power please?

I ask because when i bought mine i was quite disappointed by how harsh, almost pinking, rattly my engine was (comparing it to four 4.4's I've owned & many I've had here...) It almost sounded like a grommet has been left out of the firewall...

I even changed the engine oil to check LR hadn't put the wrong oil in at the last service!

Since my probe has been changed its all back to as i'd expect! So i suspect its fueling differently now...

Post #492208 14th Oct 2018 10:26am
GGDR

Hi guys.

Firstly, thanks for all the encouragement. I tell you it certainly helped get me over the line.

I'm possibly the first privateer to have done this! But Mike & Mike, afraid the best I can do is document what I've done... For you and anyone else to have a go. It's certainly possible, and I've learnt what works - and what doesn't work. So hopefully less headaches and time for anyone else who takes on this job.

Craig - certainly I'll keep an ear and a 'feel' out for changes. The thing that I was getting was I think a smell that met your 1970's Ice Cream Van description. But I have no real comparison. I'll be having a sniff around the exhaust soon. And I'll report back and differences. The pinking you mention; is that a sound with head-in-engine-bay? Or driving? Presumably the first?

The main reason I did this was because my DPF fills too fast. I have it chopped out and cleaned to near new and it's still been filling up so I wanted to get to the root cause of that. I am doing regens every three weeks at present so I will be able to monitor the frequency of that. Certainly the DPF a symptom that you mentioned Craig so I have fingers and toes crossed there.

My driving habits are short London journeys and so my engine is running at the cold end a lot more than most of you. If EGT sensor overfuels when cold (due to dud reading) then that, in simple terms could explain my DPF filling too fast.

Although rain stopped me fixing the heatshields back in place, and a few other bits I had to remove, I managed to get the new sensor in this morning before it start bucketing down.

I'd foolishly left the IIDTool plugged in last night so, with a low battery warning impatiently telling me to start the engine, I was finally able to try out the new sensor.

Whilst I wanted to quench the battery, what I really wanted to know was this:

Click image to enlarge

FAULT IS GONE!!!!
FAULT IS GONE!!!!
FAULT IS GONE!!!!
FAULT IS GONE!!!!
FAULT IS GONE!!!!
FAULT IS GONE!!!!

It actually did scare me because P040D-00(2F) came up when I read the fault codes. Small heart attack.

but then I remembered the obvious, clear the residual faults and read again.

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Cheers, Greg

Post #492215 14th Oct 2018 11:22am
Cam-Tech-Craig

Noise on mine was whilst driving... Sounded louder then any others id driven... Im not expecting others will get the same noises as i think the sensor can fail either end of its working spectrum... Thumbs Up

Congratulations once more Greg... Im chuffed for you pal Thumbs Up

Post #492218 14th Oct 2018 11:32am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 9 of 14 <123 ... 8910 ... 121314>