Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L405) > Oil service frequency - request for fellow owners experience
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Montys 4x4

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography TDV6 Carpathian Grey
Oil service frequency - request for fellow owners experience

Hello, apologies for the long post which affects recent owners and those thinking to purchase the Range Rover TDV6 versions.
My name is Paul and I purchased a new TDV6 Range Rover last November it is a 17.5 MY. I have been pleased with my purchase but am now in dispute with my selling Dealership and JLR over the frequency of the oil service message due to the DPF regeneration rates causing engine oil dilution/contamination and mis-selling of the 16000/12 Month service interval stated to me at point of sale.
I was supplied the JLR Service Notification JLRP00100 by another member on the forum when I reported my first oil service message at 4500 miles. I then had a repeat request for another oil service at 4500 miles after the first oil service. On the second occasion I did get a dash readout for the oil service countdown (not present on the first oil service warning) which started at 1800 miles but ran down to zero in just 449 miles due to this I was left requiring recovery to my nearest dealership as the JLR SN JLRP 00100 states engine failure WILL result if the owner continues to drive the vehicle if an oil service is due. On both these occasions the oil dilution level exceeded the JLR limits (by 17% and then 8%) and required the oil and filter to be changed. Straight after the second oil change it was again working it way down to a third 4500 miles oil service this would have resulted in a third oil service at 15000 miles. I informed the dealership that I was giving 28 days notice to either fix the problem or that I would be rejecting the vehicle as not fit for purpose and misrepresentation on the advertised and stated at point of sale service frequency of 16000 miles/12 months.
After a conversation with the Dealer Principle in which they stated that they had a fix after advice from JLR I returned the vehicle. The attempted remedy was to replace the throttle body as my vehicle had a sticking flap. As an engineer involved in quality escape investigations and having been involved in the Goness Concorde crash investigations some years ago I was not convinced of the direct link to the oil dilution issue so asked for the 16000 mile service including the oil change to be carried out at my cost to reset the clock so to speak. So driving away I recorded the next service interval being 16000 (due to the phone in connect ap. I was able to see this was reset after the post service road test. I then drove motorway and A road miles over the weekend recording the fall in miles to service vs the actual miles driven after 403 miles driven the miles to service had reduced by 1550 miles this is a ratio of over 1 to 3 which will put the next oil service due in the area of 4500 - 5000 miles. I am being told the oil service frequency is wholly down to driving style which is an statement that cannot be quantified and a lame excuse for a major Emmisions software issue that JLR is forcing Customers to deal with. I read that Discovery 5 owners are having the same issue of oil service frequency and there is also an issue with the 2.0 Diesel engines in Disco Sport and Evoques.
Now I'm after some statistical information to add to my evidence before taking the issue out of the Manufactures and Dealership jurisdiction from those of you experiencing or having experienced the early oil service required message, also JLRP 00100 stated that a letter warning Customers that there is a safety implication (engine failure) should be issued, I did not receive this letter and was informed that it wasn't relevant to my model year/type.
So a very simple reply would be gratefully received as to your experiences. I'm not promising a legal case calling for a US type lemon law decision as I respect the Land Rover/Range Rover Marque and the guys and girls who build great vehicles I would just like JLR to be honest about the Emmisions issue with the Diesel engines they are fitting to the great vehicle and rapidly putting together a modification that allows a service interval to be achieved to the advertised miles/time frequency.
Many thanks for your time reading this and if you are able to reply with you experience it will be purely for statistical purposes as I take the the oil service frequency/oil contamination issue forward.

Thanks

Paul Leggett Journey started in a LR2B at 16 and has incl. just about every Land Rover, Disco, RRS and Range Rover Vehicle owned or driven, I even worked for the company when it was owned by BAe - It must be a madness!!! because to add to my 4.4 TDV8 Westminister In Baltic Blue I bought a second L322 as a commuter bus, TD6 2004 Vogue in Oslo Blue with cream leather now both gone replaced with what could turn out to be my biggest mistake. Carpathian Grey ivory interior 3.0 tdv6 Autobiog. 2017

Post #484609 29th Jul 2018 11:19am
Alistair

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

It would seem that the JLR diesels don’t take kindly to gentle treatment.

You really need to drive it like you stole it on occasions to keep everything running properly Whistle

Post #484642 29th Jul 2018 6:11pm
Montys 4x4

Hi,
I try to when I can and it does fly when I need to get past the Suffolk Pig transporters. On the last oil service they downloaded the computer and it returned 47 DPF Regenerations that approximately one every 95 miles. The Service Manager was surprised that his Master Tech had not looked at the sensors related to the DPF Regeneration or even the DPF assembly and just gone for the Throttle body change. At the moment I'll be following the Motor Industry Ombudsmen route and then I'm afraid I'll be paying money out to Barristers. Doing the mileage I cover each year I can't afford the time to be sat at dealerships or in a recovery truck sad thing is after having tried most of large SUV opposition I keep coming back to a Range Rover next one might have to be a L322 as I can just about maintain that myself.

Paul Journey started in a LR2B at 16 and has incl. just about every Land Rover, Disco, RRS and Range Rover Vehicle owned or driven, I even worked for the company when it was owned by BAe - It must be a madness!!! because to add to my 4.4 TDV8 Westminister In Baltic Blue I bought a second L322 as a commuter bus, TD6 2004 Vogue in Oslo Blue with cream leather now both gone replaced with what could turn out to be my biggest mistake. Carpathian Grey ivory interior 3.0 tdv6 Autobiog. 2017

Post #484682 30th Jul 2018 7:00am
peanutbob

United Kingdom 2018 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

My 17yr VSE which I purchased from the dealer at 5k mileage - it was their finance directors car, requested an oil service at 7k miles. They applied a software update ref the dpf sensor, checked oil dilution rate which was 6.1.
10000 miles another service requested. This time the service and oil change done which was free only because they agreed to a free service at the sale time.
14500 miles oil service flagged up again. Returned to dealer. Two software updates applied. One to do with suspension and the other to do with the infotainment which is now slightly less slow to boot up. Apparently..hmmm....this also rectifies the oil service warning from reappearing so quickly. Oil dilution was fine so they told me.
I fully expect another oil service request to appear in 3-4K miles. As this is in the 16.5 to 17yr model range it should be at no cost.
I don’t expect to keep it out of the warranty period!

Post #484710 30th Jul 2018 12:31pm
JamesD

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Vogue TDV6 Corris Grey

My car has done 36k and has had a service on average every 5k. We do 15k miles per year but in the week just short school runs which is clearly ruining the DPF regeneration. I really want to keep the car long term but am worried about premature engine wear Sad 2021 L405 Vogue D300
2016 L405 Vogue 3.0TDV6 (Sold)

Post #486503 18th Aug 2018 8:52pm
Vogue

United Kingdom 

No help to you as mine is a TDV8 - but it’s just flashed up on the dash that an Oil Service is Required in 1500 miles - that makes it roughly a service at 14k intervals 2021 L405 Vogue SE 4.4 V8 DIESEL ~ #17

Post #486509 18th Aug 2018 9:55pm
peanutbob

peanutbob wrote:
My 17yr VSE which I purchased from the dealer at 5k mileage - it was their finance directors car, requested an oil service at 7k miles. They applied a software update ref the dpf sensor, checked oil dilution rate which was 6.1.
10000 miles another service requested. This time the service and oil change done which was free only because they agreed to a free service at the sale time.
14500 miles oil service flagged up again. Returned to dealer. Two software updates applied. One to do with suspension and the other to do with the infotainment which is now slightly less slow to boot up. Apparently..hmmm....this also rectifies the oil service warning from reappearing so quickly. Oil dilution was fine so they told me.
I fully expect another oil service request to appear in 3-4K miles. As this is in the 16.5 to 17yr model range it should be at no cost.
I don’t expect to keep it out of the warranty period!

As predicted service request flagged again at 17k miles. Back to dealer who said oil dilution rate 4.1 and all fine until the next service in Feb and not to worry until then. They couldn’t reset the service message as it’s over 75pc time until the next service so I have to ignore it in the interim!

At least the car got washed but the front tyre at 30psi which showed an error message this week wasn’t inflated to the 32psi correct pressure.

Post #498347 12th Dec 2018 6:59pm
martinf

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Vogue TDV6 Santorini Black

I have a MY2016 TDV6 which has now done 42,000 miles.
In each of the first two years the service indicator was fine and, as I did less than 16,000 miles in either year, indicated that a service was required after 12 months.
At the end of the second year the service indicator software was supposed to be updated but there was a problem with the update so the car spent the year indicating a service was overdue. My dealer told me not to worry and to ignore it.
I had my third service in September this year at 40,000 miles. The service indicator software was updated and after 2,000 miles it is indicating that a service will be required in a little over 4,000 miles.
As the car has been fine for 3 years I do wonder whether the software update is the cause of the problem. Is the new software trying to regenerate the DPF too frequently and causing excess oil dilution, I wonder.

Post #498376 12th Dec 2018 9:48pm
peanutbob

This is the service bulletin ref oil dilution for the listed models. However, it states oil dilution above 6.1pc will trigger the service message, yet every time I take it in the oil dilution apparently is fine and today was 4.1 pc. Apparently. Also the last software update was meant to stop these messages appearing. It’s just rather worrying that I keep receiving the service required messages and the dealer service dept just says...what drama....no drama! Just keep on driving it and ignore!
Imagine trying to sell it privately and saying to the prospective purchaser ...oh, it says it needs a service, but it doesn’t actually. I think I’d have a problem p/exing it to another dealer which is a current possibility.

http://www.amigo.co.uk/misc/JLRP00100.pdf

Post #498381 12th Dec 2018 10:19pm
RRVSE

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue SDV8 Corris Grey

I have a 4.4 SDV8 and it needed an oil change about every 13-15k miles (yearly) when I was working, however, I retired at the end of 2017 and around 3,000 miles after my last service (March 2018) , I got a service type message (can't remember the exact wording) and so took it to the dealer who said it was because it needed an oil change , the oil being 8% diluted with diesel). I said I had only done 3k since last service but they said it was due to my now mainly short journeys (although I did do at least one longer one - i.e. @100 miles - each month as I didn't want my DPF failing). I wasn't impressed at now apparently needing an oil change 2 times a year when only doing a third of the mileage I used to do on a single oil change in the past 3yrs. At least they did the oil change at the cost of the consumables and waived the labour fee to soften the blow for me, though I was over a barrel really (forgive the pun) as if I didn't have it done and had an engine issue, no doubt my not having the oil changed when the car required would be given as the reason.. Steve

Main car : FFRR L405 Vogue SDV8
Other car : Vauxhall Lotus Carlton
Past cars : FFRR L322 Vogue TD6 SE (Sept 2006 MY07) ; LandCruiser SWB ; 4-Runner ; Supras; XJS V12 LeMans

Post #500006 29th Dec 2018 4:11pm
Vogue

United Kingdom 

Around 14/15k miles. I do drive quite spiritedly and also quite a few long journeys interspersed with short trips 2021 L405 Vogue SE 4.4 V8 DIESEL ~ #17

Post #500101 30th Dec 2018 5:05pm
nicedayforit

England 2004 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Giverny Green

Given the unfortunate oil dilution rates I wonder how long it will be before engine failures become commonplace.
Two things, how is the dilution level measured and how accurate is that measurement and secondly, has anyone contacted an engine oil supplier for advice re dilution.
Think I'll keep my Td6 and carry on changing the engine oil each year whether it needs it or not. Thumbs Up

Post #500113 30th Dec 2018 5:52pm
Montys 4x4

Hi,
You now do not have to live with the 4500@ mile oil service message on the 3.0TDV6 RR (16.5 to 17.5 model year).
I had the same issue a the beginning of 2018 and had 3 premature oil service dash messages before JLR released a software uplift for the emissions control/DPF Regeneration. After much dialogue with JLR headquarters and Marshall Land Rover Group and with a final fix or have the RR back ultimatum JLR rolled out the upgrade late last October since then my RR on exactly the same daily journey is showing next service due in line with the 16,000 mile service frequency (I've covered just over 2000 miles since the software upgrade). When the ECU was being reloaded Marshall also fixed my crackling speaker issue with the latest infotainment software so now have the 2018 model year screen and selections for the Media and it appears faster in operation also clearer phone conversations but that could be due to switching from an iphone to a Samsung around the time of the Infotainment upgrade.

Cheers

Paul Journey started in a LR2B at 16 and has incl. just about every Land Rover, Disco, RRS and Range Rover Vehicle owned or driven, I even worked for the company when it was owned by BAe - It must be a madness!!! because to add to my 4.4 TDV8 Westminister In Baltic Blue I bought a second L322 as a commuter bus, TD6 2004 Vogue in Oslo Blue with cream leather now both gone replaced with what could turn out to be my biggest mistake. Carpathian Grey ivory interior 3.0 tdv6 Autobiog. 2017

Post #500309 2nd Jan 2019 10:12am
socialrover

United Kingdom 2018 Range Rover Autobiography SDV6 Santorini Black

Well done Paul for taking them to task and benefitting the rest of us at the same time .

I think only someone with your knowledge and experience could have held them to task - the majority of us would have been fobbed off all to easily .

Thank you Sir !

Post #500375 2nd Jan 2019 7:19pm
Lawnman

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography TDV6 Barolo Black

Ditto the comments above. 17.5 MY serviced at 5k, or 6 months old. Booked in today for second service @ 10k or 15 months since new! Service indicator on again!
Service Manager was un-helpful to put it politely, suggested I contacted JLR as they are a Franchise and don’t know all the answers. Anyway, don’t know why you are upset as you are on a service plan, so it doesn’t matter if your Autobiography comes in every 6 months it will not cost you anymore.
How would you respond to that?
Confused

Post #500377 2nd Jan 2019 7:37pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>