Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > General (L405) > How reliable are current model RRs?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 9 <123456789>
Print this entire topic · 
AnotherMutley

United Kingdom 

Don't really understand the issue here.

Its been well documented on the Sport, Discovery and this forum that the 2.7 (accepted the FFRR never had the 2.7 fitted) & 3.0 LR Diesel have an appetite for crankshafts and it looks like some people are now having issues with the 4.4 Diesel.

Personally, I don't keep my cars outside of the manufacturers warranty, extended warranty costs aren't a concern.

When put into context, yes they're a very popular car, but there is no excuse for any engine to prematurely fail given todays manufacturing tolerances, or for an engine fault/MIL fault to put a car off the road, this isn't the 70's.

While you may have a statement that LR will put your individual car right, it doesn't mean they will do it for everyone and in a lot of cases they haven't. If people accept mediocre Customer Service and Product Support, then it becomes the norm, isn't your loyalty to a brand worth more.

In RM's case, the customer service has hardly been exemplary, having to play telephone tennis with someone isn't really acceptable especially given that this is the second issue he's had on an LR product where its been off the road for sometime.

Post #489040 16th Sep 2018 7:25pm
Red Merle

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Aintree Green

Wow, so much helpful advice and support! Thanks chaps!

@ nubbin: Thanks for the link.

@ CS: We have a diagnosis, in that it’s a faulty oil sensor and associated wiring loom. Unfortunately, there is a problem with this item. While it doesn’t affect all cars, Land Rover need to develop, test and manufacture and stock the replacement item before they will issue a service bulletin and authorise the repair. Sadly, we are none the wiser as to where they are in this process than we were in August.

I agree with you on litigation!

Hire cars now seem to have been hived out to The AA. It’s abundantly clear that they either have woefully inadequate stock, or we’re out on a geographic limb, or both. They can’t even get a Land Rover, not even a joke one, let alone something of similar quality. Only the dealer has come up trumps with a V6 D5 with a tow bar.

@ AndyS: Glad to know that others have found them good too.

@ Another Mutley: Interesting that we’ve both been in the D4 – FF change situation. Thanks for your understanding on what it’s been like playing with LRCS; it certainly seems that LRCS is no substitute for a decent dealer. With a cr4*y dealer to work with, this would have been a pain.

@ stillrunning: I’ve followed your experiences with great interest. PM Sent.

Other than that, we’ve found a new problem on the SDV8, but I don’t think it’s a major headache as I’ve only come across two other SDV8 users on the planet who’ve suffered the same problem (one of them in Australia!), so it wouldn’t put me off buying another – especially knowing that in probably a small number of months there ought to be revised parts and a service bulletin about.

For the OP: I'd certainly not put you off one, but pick your dealer on the quality of their service Thumbs Up

Post #489046 16th Sep 2018 8:09pm
pld118

Scotland 2014 Range Rover Vogue SDV6 Santorini Black

AnotherMutley wrote:
Don't really understand the issue here.

Its been well documented on the Sport, Discovery and this forum that the 2.7 (accepted the FFRR never had the 2.7 fitted) & 3.0 LR Diesel have an appetite for crankshafts...

Hopefully healthy debate on a helpful thread that should assist people to reach balanced and objective ownership decisions. The OP did ask forum users how reliable current model RRs are, so it's fair to clarify any points that might deserve clarification:

To date, the ffrr uk forum evidences very low instances of the L405 Range Rover 3.0 TDv6 crankshaft failing. Many thousands of current or prospective ffrr uk owners use this forum as an informed repository for information.

Regardless of the age and mileage of the L405, there are no examples on this forum, as far as I am aware to date, of any L405 owners being left high and dry by either their main dealer and/ or LR UK. I know this because having bought an approved used L405 3.0 TDv6, only to hear about crankshaft rumours and concerns afterwards, I undertook a lot of research to establish fact before deciding whether or not to keep the car. Research involved engaging with the selling main dealer and LR UK. The findings were reassuring.

The very low instances of L405 3.0 TDv6 crankshaft failure posted on this forum are not indicative that the L405 has a particular 'appetite' for or 'likes to lunch it's crankshaft'.

Not all Range Rover owners will acquire cars on finance. Not all will be able to afford (or will be prepared to spend the amount of money required) to buy a new L405 or one that is within the 3 year period of manufacturers warranty. For such people following this thread, it's perhaps helpful to receive the balance of information that is available regarding extended warranty costs and what such warranties and/ or main dealers and/ or LR UK might cover beyond the period of manufacturer's warranty.

Our selling dealer and LR UK were adamant that the L405 3.0 TDv6 is not a model that has been high volume afflicted (the dealer could quote no examples). Therefore, I asked them to put that in writing. LR UK put in writing what amounted to a high level of peace of mind. The reason it was put in writing by LR UK is exactly because of our 'loyalty to the brand'.

Thumbs Up

Post #489081 17th Sep 2018 10:42am
Amazing

Reality

Drove from london to newcastle this week.

Passed 3 cars broken down on the way. All new rr.

On a side the hired velar everyday the gps failed to display in consul every now and then(reverted back to car picture even though selected to always show), one day did a full restart itself after freezing. Reverse camera not avail once and gps start button not reponding 3 times and on one start up it started in some offroad mode( non selected)

So make of that what you may it is better to have and not need then need and not have

Post #489126 17th Sep 2018 6:16pm
pld118

Scotland 2014 Range Rover Vogue SDV6 Santorini Black

'Drove from london to newcastle this week.

Passed 3 cars broken down on the way. All new rr. ..'

Aye but were they L405 and if so, were they the 3.0 or 4.4 diesel variant Rolling with laughter

Thumbs Up

Post #489131 17th Sep 2018 6:33pm
Chalky

United Kingdom 

Blimey "Amazing", you're a long way from home going by your Location on your profile! Whistle

Post #489134 17th Sep 2018 6:48pm
Bill

United Kingdom 

Red Merle wrote:

I agree with you on litigation!

Hire cars now seem to have been hived out to The AA.

:

Sorry to weigh in late but away from the computer.

Litigation has to be weighed up against your time , angst, as well as success . The amount involved might be small enough for the small claims court. I’m not sure but think under 10k is the limit.

Simple & straightforward. Just b Censored s ache & therefore depending on how you value time and how Censored you are , it might not be worth the candle. U don’t need lawyers.

U MIGHT need a decent motor for your work ; so you may get fed up chasing your tail with the AA . That’s a recoverable cost.

Check your house and car insurance for legal cover. Another thread checked and said he wasn’t covered, breakdown: Suggest you just check ; again the non supply of a decent motor might be separate as it’s a contractual failure.

Good luck

Bill Filters are in fact so good that in certain circumstances, when the ambient air is already polluted, a diesel car will tend to extract more particles from the air than it emits. Emissions Analytics worked with........etc etc

He who dies with the most toys wins...

Post #489145 17th Sep 2018 7:48pm
Red Merle

For the moment I'm putting faith in a combination of a good dealer and the leverage of Black Horse (AKA LR Financial Services). I'm hopeful for our meeting scheduled for Thursday.

If they were to fall short, I fear this may be beyond the scope of the small claims court, but it looks like I have legal expenses insurance cover from both the NFU and my household insurers. Hopefully it won't come to that Thumbs Up

Post #489146 17th Sep 2018 7:56pm
Amazing

Long way from home

Yes long way from home.dads 90th so popped back..also popped into lroshow petersborough.(actually post code tooke us to tix...something offroad site..)lots of funny looks when the velar pulled up..got to real event finally. (Not much there for FFRR fans)
Back in london now. Dropped rental off....heading back on thread topic..they say they get lots of complaints about gps/electrical quirks on LR products..oddly not about the new jags they also offer.

Anyhoo.. off to Maldives in the morning. So will still be a long way fron home fir a while. it is better to have and not need then need and not have

Post #489161 17th Sep 2018 9:14pm
CRC@LandRover
Verified Account

Red Merle wrote:
Im really grateful for your reply and helping me feel that I’ve not gone completely mad! Thumbs Up

I’ve taken legal advice (Consumer Credit Act 2015, Section 23 etc.) and they have asked me to come back so that they can appoint a solicitor if I don’t get a satisfactory reply from JLR. I’ve made a formal complaint to LR Finance (Black Horse) and have asked for a replacement, but they’ve warned me that there will be a 3 week period of investigation before anything could happen.

I’m not sure whether to:

A) keep talking to my SE’s voicemail.
B) Leave it to Black Horse to deal with, or
C) Appoint a solicitor.

You’ve managed to achieve miracles here before Bow down Please would you suggest the best course of action?

Hi Red Merle,

Thank you for your post.

I am deeply sorry to learn of this.

Please provide me with your contact, vehicle and retailer details for me to assist further.

Thanks,

Chand - Land Rover UK Please note although Land Rover will try to assist you with your issue, we are unable to provide any technical advice. This account is available between 0900 and 17:00 hours Monday – Friday. Outside of this time if you require assistance, please drop us a Private Message and we'll get back to you.

Post #489287 19th Sep 2018 8:43am
Red Merle

Thank you for your offer of help, but it’s all down to a meeting with the dealer tomorrow afternoon, so we shall see...

Post #489290 19th Sep 2018 9:15am
Autobiography

2018 Range Rover SVAutobiography 5.0 SC V8 Santorini Black

Sorry to hear of your issues. To be honest, I've found Black Horse to be pretty iron fisted and from experience, an Ombudsman referral will normally be necessary to help things move along in the correct direction. However, what I can say is, Land Rover CRC (if you speak to the right people), tend to be exceptionally accommodating in these kinds of situations.

Post #489325 19th Sep 2018 4:09pm
Red Merle

Thank you AB, that’s encouraging to hear.

I’m hopeful that this can get sorted out tomorrow, but I’ll remember your comments about CRC and the ombudsman if it doesn’t Thumbs Up

Post #489326 19th Sep 2018 4:19pm
AndyS

United Kingdom 

Autobiography wrote:
Sorry to hear of your issues. To be honest, I've found Black Horse to be pretty iron fisted and from experience, an Ombudsman referral will normally be necessary to help things move along in the correct direction. However, what I can say is, Land Rover CRC (if you speak to the right people), tend to be exceptionally accommodating in these kinds of situations.

It should never ever get to this situation where you have to resort to these practices to get a £100k+ car fixed or for that matter any car under a manufacturers warranty. It's an absolute joke that LR treat their customers with a complete lack of respect and don't appear to give a monkey's if you end up driving a Fiesta for weeks or months whilst their customer service processes grind you down.
Don' they look at their reliability and customer feedback stats, obviously not as they've got their heads buried well and truly buried in the sand.

Red Merle, I really hope you get somewhere tomorrow and your problems are sorted pdq.

Post #489358 19th Sep 2018 10:20pm
Red Merle

Thanks Andy Thumbs Up

Post #489359 19th Sep 2018 10:37pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 4 of 9 <123456789>