Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > General (L405) > How reliable are current model RRs?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 6 of 9 <123456789>
Print this entire topic · 
John w

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Autobiography Black TDV8 Barolo Black

I'm really sorry to read this, I thought you might have at least got a decision so knew what you were in for going forward.

To expect you to wait for an updated part with an open ended completion date is unreasonable. They know what the problem is but clearly don't have confidence in a replacement with the existing design addressing the problem in the long term.
This to me is the evidence that you can claim the car is not fit for purpose.

Somewhere someone has made the decision that they won't replace this part to get you mobile at LRs expense.
How about the warranty company though ?
Surely if the part is faulty and the vehicle immobile that is not the result of an accident, then they are contractually obliged to replace it ?

I think you have been more than reasonable to wait 4 weeks.
If it is leased you can simply hand the keys back and walk away, but that assumes you didn't put a large initial deposit down which you would lose.
I know of a few people who have done this on other cars.
Not ideal as you then need to find or wait for another, but at least you can move on.

I really feel for you mate. Being a long time supporter and then being treated this way must make you feel betrayed.

I know you haven't given details yet, but is this something that only affects one engine variant ?
If so could you not reject this one and get a different one ? Too many toys, not enough time

2011 4.4 TDV8 AB Black

Post #489457 21st Sep 2018 11:23am
Red Merle

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Aintree Green

Thanks John.

When you talk about "the warranty company", it's actually LR themselves - this is a 10 1/2 old FF that I've had from new! Shocked

Fortunately, this only appears to be a problem with SDV8's but is very isolated, so I wouldn't want to unnecessarily worry others with SDV8's Thumbs Up

There's lots going on at the moment, with the finance company and LR. but an offer to exchange today was on condition that I pay nearly 10 months' wages for the 10 months' use that I've had from the car before it broke down!! Censored Evil or Very Mad

I've got the XF diesel (which is at least fun to drive, if completely impractical) for another 9-10 days and then they hope to be able to provide me with the first Range Rover that they've been able to find for me in what will have been around 1 1/2 months. By the time the two months stage comes up, the dealer's offered to lend me something with a tow bar, so that we can at least still go on holiday.

Post #489480 21st Sep 2018 5:30pm
Cobstar

United Kingdom 

Red Merle - sorry to read about all your trials and tribulations with your FFRR.

In pricing up an exchange for you, how much have LR discounted your current vehicle given it isn't actually driveable?

Post #489482 21st Sep 2018 5:53pm
AndyS

United Kingdom 

With your current mileage of 30k'ish I do think there's going to be a fairly substantial cost somewhere to get into another new car as you're car is going to have suffered above average depreciation.
I don't know how much 10 months wages is but to some people is the full cost of your car, to others it's not a lot so I can't gauge what you have been told to cough up.
Whilst I do appreciate it's not your intention to change so early and this is not of your making I think if you could get a deal where your old car is swapped for a new one and a reasonable cost to change is tabled then it could be a way forward. Thumbs Up

Post #489483 21st Sep 2018 5:58pm
CS

Scotland 2017 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Corris Grey

Looking at LRAU, 17/67 cars with >20,000 miles are about £70,000 to buy, and incidentally Harwoods of Pulborough have an Aintree Green one. I'm not sure what margin one would have to deduct to get to trade-in price.

I'm aware of LR having "helped" customers with problem cars into a new one, particularly in cases they consider deserving, e.g. long time LR owners that use main dealers for servicing. Dealers are meant to help other dealers by releasing cars to them, though I understand that some won't do so. A second hand car is not "yours" in the same way that one you got new is, but maybe a deal could be arranged that is not as costly and which allows you to put this unpleasant episode behind you. What price the stress and hassle? Only Range Rovers since 1988

Post #489486 21st Sep 2018 6:15pm
Red Merle

Cobstar wrote:
Red Merle - sorry to read about all your trials and tribulations with your FFRR.

In pricing up an exchange for you, how much have LR discounted your current vehicle given it isn't actually driveable?

Thanks Cobstar.

They've offered me "book price" for the car, as if it were working. What's almost unimaginable is that it's very nearly half what the new RRP was less than a year ago Shocked

Post #489503 21st Sep 2018 8:16pm
Red Merle

@AndyS:

Yes, absolutely. It's not my fault, but I'm still prepared to put my hand in my pocket and I wished the cost to change had been proportionate. I'd still like this to be the solution.

I've only ever been in this situation once before. It was with a new Citroen C5 estate in 2003. The car had been much worse than this, having spent 5 of the 12 months that I had it in the garage. I tried to persaude them to exchange it and they refused. It was only when I initiated rejection through the finance company that, suddenly, they would change it after all! Rolling Eyes

But it was too late. It was my 4th Citroen and after that experience, my last Evil or Very Mad

Post #489510 21st Sep 2018 8:37pm
Red Merle

@CS:

Nice idea! Very Happy

You're right though, having had a serious problem with my last Approved Used D4 after 10 months (sounds familiar...), I really wanted to push the boat out and get a car that I'd known from new and had it specified exactly as I wanted it. Green (naturally), Ivory leather, opening roof, walnut, RSE etc. This was our "car of a lifetime" purchase! Thumbs Up

Post #489512 21st Sep 2018 8:45pm
MJGH

Red Merle wrote:

I've got the XF diesel (which is at least fun to drive, if completely impractical) for another 9-10 days and then they hope to be able to provide me with the first Range Rover that they've been able to find for me in what will have been around 1 1/2 months. By the time the two months stage comes up, the dealer's offered to lend me something with a tow bar, so that we can at least still go on holiday.

If there is no way forward apart from losing a bundle on a p/ex of your current non working car against a deal on a new one possibly months away dependant on spec & availability, with you in a loaner for the period.
If you were given a semi suitable replacement (as seems might be possible from the post above) for the duration of the repair period.
With the 600 / 700 miles a week you are doing being put on the loaner vehicle for what ever the repair period is.
Would you not be better to go for this (assuming you can stomach the loaner) as the least financially painful option.
Your current car was intended as a keeper with the view of purchase at the end of the PCP.
If you can stick with it this may still be possible leaving you with a lower mileage car (possibly considerably) further down the line.
Just a thought but might be worth consideration?

Post #489518 21st Sep 2018 10:36pm
Red Merle

Which is pretty much the thought that kept me going for nearly four weeks Thumbs Up

But there are a couple of issues:

1. I opted for this approach with a 3 year contract hired Citroen C5. I was happy to lose the mileage on loan cars, until it occurred to me that I’d lost 5 months use of it during the first year, I’d been paying the contract hire charges on a top spec Citroen and getting scum bag loaners and Citroen eventually started to charge me for the loaners when my car was broken again. It was when the bills started that I rejected. I won’t let that happen again.

2. Getting loaners out of Land Rover is a fight every time. They just don’t seem to have anything. So far I’ve had three different cars, 3 taxis and a lift from a colleague. It’s not a relaxing process.

On the plus side, I’ve got a spreadsheet running which tells me, to the penny, how much I’ve saved in excess mileage charges, servicing and tyres Thumbs Up

Post #489520 21st Sep 2018 11:04pm
John w

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Autobiography Black TDV8 Barolo Black

So if they could give you a ffrr as the loaner that would be a win-win Wink Wink

It is so frustrating, especially when it's your only car and for so long.

What sort of money are you talking in excess miles charges per month ?

I appreciate you may not want to do this, but will throw it out there anyway.
When I was doing similar miles (650 a week) I bought a 3 year old passat to mop up the miles and keep them off my other cars.
I didn't drive it every week so I still used my good cars, but it did over 50mpg, so on fuel alone it paid for itself.
I did 100k miles in 3 years in that, paid 7k for it and sold it for 3k5.

Not driving the good car(s) every day makes it more of an occasion when you do.
In this way I kept the annual mileage on my RS4 to below 7k a year.

To only be offered 50% is appalling, but I suspect they are offering all they can (mainly because their policy will be to offer trade, to allow profit on its sale). If that were matched with an equally large discount to narrow the price gap, maybe it could be workable.
I would be looking at what is an acceptible cost to change to you, and see if they can get close.
No doubt if they could get you into a new car at an acceptible price they would be happy to to see the problem go away.

Incidentally, think yourself lucky you got an XF Wink
When my 993 was in having a new loom fitted under a recall a good number of years ago, my loan car was a Nissan micra. Not ideal for 100 mile commutes.
Remember the advert you can with a Nissan - well you can't with a micra Mr. Green

Chin up mate, don't let it spoil your weekend. Just remember though, keep away from auto trader and car forecourts for a while Whistle Wink Too many toys, not enough time

2011 4.4 TDV8 AB Black

Post #489539 22nd Sep 2018 10:05am
pld118

Scotland 2014 Range Rover Vogue SDV6 Santorini Black

Not good for RM, very frustrating and disappointing although hopefully will be agreeably resolved soon 👍🏻

Returning to the OP, the L405 (presuming the OP meant L405 from 2012 to date, perhaps he actually meant 2016 onwards) is not an unreliable car. Just like the L322 is not an unreliable car. LR warranty (manufacturer and extend) is comprehensive and in my experience, with L322 and the L405, worth it’s weight.

Post #489570 22nd Sep 2018 4:53pm
Red Merle

@ John W:

A FFRR would be good, though it's really what should have been provided for the whole of the last month. They did say that it could either be a Fatty or a RRS from 1/10/18, though I've just seen a RRS with its boot open and I'd forgotten how small the boot is Sad I've just left them a message to say that if it's not a Full Fat, it's going to need to be one of the ugly Discoveries Sad

Currently I'm avoiding excess mileage charges at 24p a mile and I've also worked out that it's saving me a further 5p a mile in tyres and servicing. From the end of this month I shall SORN the car to save around a further £40.00 per month. My spreadsheet tells me that I've clocked up 3,165 miles in loaners so far, at a total saving of £917.85, even if some of those miles were clocked up doing the 100 mile round trip to the dealer! This all helps, but I'm still paying an inordinate amount of money to be driving the real deal Evil or Very Mad

I've always got a Triumph Tiger to take out to keep the miles down in the summer, but riding that's a pleasure Thumbs Up

I've just checked the valuation with WBAC and they've offered slightly less than £55,000, so the dealer is giving me a regular trade price. They expect to make some money up on the resale of mine, as they'll be making naff all on the supply of the new car. LR has made a substantial offer, but it's still well short of where it would need to be to make it a reasonable offer. I don't think they'll shift to where they need to be without irresistible pressure from the finance company.

"- well, you can't with a Micra" Laughing

I've taken your advice and kept away from Auto Trader and forecourts today which seems to have helped keep my sanity intact Thumbs Up

@pld118:

Thanks! Thumbs Up

Post #489588 22nd Sep 2018 7:01pm
AndyS

United Kingdom 

RM you're a braver man than me by looking at WBAC. I don't want to massively depress myself by seeing what you/I can lose in 6 months.

I would assume your current car is worth £65-70k on a good day with a following wind so the dealer wants to take £10-15k off you in profit, seems excessive in the circumstances. Granted it's not their fault but you would hope they would have been fairly supportive of you're plight.

Post #489598 22nd Sep 2018 7:44pm
MJGH

[quote="Red Merle"]@ John W:

This all helps, but I'm still paying an inordinate amount of money to be driving the real deal Evil or Very Mad

Following a comment by Cobstar on another thread here, I wandered over to a Velar forum.
From comments on there owners with off road cars are allegedly getting lump sum compensation pay outs, offers of % contributions towards finance payments for off road periods, weekends away etc.
If true a % contribution towards your PCP liability for the duration, a suitable loaner taking the miles and eventually a lower mileage own car at the end (assuming there is an end) might just help take some of the pain away?

Post #489673 23rd Sep 2018 1:37pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 6 of 9 <123456789>