Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > General (L405) > How reliable are current model RRs?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 7 of 9 <123456789>
Print this entire topic · 
Red Merle

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Aintree Green

Andy S and MJGH:

All good points there, thanks Thumbs Up

Post #489724 23rd Sep 2018 5:59pm
Bill

United Kingdom 

Red Merle wrote:
For the moment I'm putting faith in a combination of a good dealer and the leverage of Black Horse (AKA LR Financial Services). I'm hopeful for our meeting scheduled for Thursday.

If they were to fall short, I fear this may be beyond the scope of the small claims court, but it looks like I have legal expenses insurance cover from both the NFU and my household insurers. Hopefully it won't come to that Thumbs Up

Sorry for your troubles:

You are entitled to be put in the same position as you were before the event happened. That’s all.

Therefore the only damage is your actual loss:

So whilst you bum rides and get odd unsuitable loan cars, they are not quantifiable losses .

If you go out and hire that’s a cost/loss- it’s also a risk if you loose a case, so only do it in an emergency/ need . You have a duty to whoever to minimise any claim.

Loss of time, not at all sure, ditto inconvenience

If the dealer is saying will buy the old one for x, and a similar replacement is y, then the difference is a loss. You may have to crystallise the loss by doing the deal. Frankly what a. bar steward!

You are buying and paying a monthly charge, without the benefit of the car. That’s claimable, the judge may not allow it but it’s claimable Whistle

I’m not trying to teach my grandma, but just to give you some ideas/ talking points with the lawyers.

Let’s just hope JLR see the light and do the right thing. Filters are in fact so good that in certain circumstances, when the ambient air is already polluted, a diesel car will tend to extract more particles from the air than it emits. Emissions Analytics worked with........etc etc

He who dies with the most toys wins...

Post #489729 23rd Sep 2018 6:20pm
Red Merle

Thumbs Up

Post #489730 23rd Sep 2018 6:28pm
Mca71

Hi, new to the forum as I am actively considering 405. I have driven BMWs for the last fifteen years or so, an X5 and currently a 5 series. I would like to go back to an SUV and like the look of the RR.... however... having started to research a bit it looks like there are lots of issues with the diesels... I need a euro6 compliant engine, but concerned about all the oil filter, crankshaft, issues talked about and servicing all the time. I am considering a 1 year old vogue set with the 3l diesel. I typically drive a few miles to work, with occasional 100 mike drives once or twice a month.

My choices appear to be... go for it and take my chances.... go for an x5 again... stick with my current 5 series which needs serviced every couple of years and costs me nothing. I Really fancy a RR and the space and luxury it offers but struggling to make any kind of business case to myself on this! Are they really unreliable compared to BMW’s?

Post #489933 25th Sep 2018 6:36pm
Bill

United Kingdom 

MCA
Hum haa

I’m not techie

I have the 4.4L , 66, my third and no serious problems other than an alternator at 70,000 miles ‘on the first one -

I always buy nearly new , and let someone else sort any niggles
Stunning cars , I think on the whole reliable, buy with warranty from RR.

Some will say short journeys doesn’t do diesel any good.... I do plenty of short ones and a fair number of long one so 15k a year .

Love them! Filters are in fact so good that in certain circumstances, when the ambient air is already polluted, a diesel car will tend to extract more particles from the air than it emits. Emissions Analytics worked with........etc etc

He who dies with the most toys wins...

Post #489935 25th Sep 2018 6:49pm
Red Merle

I’ve had an absolutely disastrous month and a half with mine and LR have been a complete pain the the a125e, so much so that I’ve been looking at the alternatives over the last week - even an XC90 Shocked - and guess what? There’s absolutely nothing out there that comes near offering the same thing.

I’ve got to compare this with the good times I’ve had with LR’s (which have been many) and the trouble that I’ve had has been very unusual.

Would I talk you out of trading the X5 in for a 405? Provided that you apprecuate that one is a road focussed, tall estate/mild MPV with some off road capability, while the 405 is pretty much the exact opposite (no criticism of the X5 implied - it is what it is) then, if that meets your needs, I’d say go for it Thumbs Up

Post #489939 25th Sep 2018 7:17pm
MJGH

Glad to hear you are finally getting a semi suitable loaner Thumbs Up
Hope it has the promised tow bar.
What ever happens don't give it back unless you are getting a ff loaner or back into your own.

Post #489944 25th Sep 2018 8:10pm
Red Merle

Thanks, yes - I’ve made sure it has and you’re absolutely right - in that order! Thumbs Up Very Happy

Post #489947 25th Sep 2018 8:20pm
Cobstar

United Kingdom 

@Red Merle - glad you're picking up the D5 loaner tomorrow. Looking forward to in depth RM reports on the drive, useability and towing ability. Just don't think I'm ever going to love the D5. Although the red one in the ads looks quite handsome side-on.

And off topic but congratulations on your thousandth post. I alway enjoy reading your posts here and on the D3 Forum and appreciate your wisdom, knowledge and humour.

Post #489949 25th Sep 2018 8:28pm
AndyS

United Kingdom 

I saw a black D5 yesterday at our son's school and the rear panel with the number plate had been centralised into a normal position and it improved the looks a lot from the rear. I image it was an aftermarket part, still not a looker though.

Post #489982 26th Sep 2018 7:48am
Red Merle

I’ve only seen photographs of those so far, not it real life. It’s about £1,200.00 to get that repair kit supplied and fitted. It’s interesting to read the -ve reaction to the repair on the D5 forum; apparently it spoils the “purity” Rolling with laughter and “makes it look too much like the DS”, which is not necessarily a bad thing.

The problem is that without the awful offset plate, the eye is drawn to the equally awful plastic “full nappy” where the rear bumper ought to be.

Still, I’m very greatful to be in a full size Land Rover again, even a D5 and I won’t need to look at it for the time I have it; I usually reverse into parking spaces anyway, so the rear end is unlikely to cause too much offence Thumbs Up

Post #489989 26th Sep 2018 8:57am
Mca71

Thanks for the info so far.... do the v8 diedel engines suffer from the oil dilution problem in the same way as the v6?

Post #490074 26th Sep 2018 10:23pm
Red Merle

@ Cobstar: Thank you!

@ Mca71: No sign of it in the 30,000 miles that I’ve done in mine Thumbs Up

Post #490086 27th Sep 2018 4:37am
stillrunning

United Kingdom 2018 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

RM,
sort of good news you are in a land rover of sorts.
hope it is sorted soon for you
Steve

Post #490087 27th Sep 2018 6:01am
Mca71

Been doing my research and it seems that he tdv6 is the problem engine and the sdv8 is not affected by the oil dilution issue... a lot of unhappy tdv6 owners out there... it’s enough to put me off buying the approved used that I was actively considering which otherwise was perfect colour/spec for me What I’m not clear of is whether the sdv6 engine is not affected. Looks like I will now need to hold out for either a1-2 year old sdv8 in my spec, or wait until next year until the sdv6 start coming through the approved used market. Ho hum.

Post #490098 27th Sep 2018 10:15am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 7 of 9 <123456789>