Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > Haunted Steering Column!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
phn

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Java Black
Haunted Steering Column!

Hello!

I'm a new owner of 2007 3.6 TDV8 Vogue SE which I absolutely love!

There is one small fault though - When I open the drivers door to enter or exit the vehicle, the steering column will motor up as much as possible and then the motor will keep whirring even though it is at it maximum upwards tilt. This can be stopped by tapping the steering column joystick, however I am worried that if I forget to do this and leave the vehicle the motor may burn out and / or flatten the battery.

Alternatively sometimes the steering column will power down towards my knees as if to chop my legs off, and again I have to use the joystick to stop this!

If anyone has had this fault before or knows how to fix this could they help me out please?

Many thanks,

Philip.

Post #485765 11th Aug 2018 9:33pm
Pawl

England 2007 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Cairns Blue

Unfortunately, that's not an uncommon fault !
Land Rover have known about the problem since the early l322s & even issued a Service Bulletin & allegedly improved mechanism.

Ours does the same & was like it when it was bought (it was expected - as the tilt mechanism didn't work during the test drive, but was only confirmed when I reconnected the connector under the cover & it jammed me on the seat - lol)

The problem is caused by the locking feature on the end of the adjusting thread slipping, so the motor doesn't stop dead at the right point due to the drive current increasing. The extra time the motor runs after starting to slip is then copied when the column is requested to go back down - result is too much downward movement & crushed legs.

The fix is a replacement new column motor mechanism at very large cost or a DIY fix if you have the patience & skills.
The problem with the improved motor mechanisms is that they also fail - but might take slightly longer before they do. Hence many owners just disconnect the connector or pull the relevant fuse.

I might take ours apart soon & see how involved a DIY fix might be. Paul,
2001 Discovery 2 TD5, 211,000 miles & climbing
2006 FFRR TDV8 Vogue 145,000 miles & climbing
Member of Midland (Land) Rover Owners Club, www.mroc.co.uk

Post #485768 11th Aug 2018 10:47pm
Joe90

England 

See here

http://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic34124.html .
Experience is the only genuine knowledge, but as time passes, I have forgotten more than I can remember Wink
Volvo V70 P2 2006 2.4 Petrol 170bhp Estate SE
MG Midget Mk1 1962

Previous: L322 Range Rover TDV8 3.6 2008; L322 Range Rover TD6 3.0 2002; P38A Range Rover V8 1999

Post #485772 12th Aug 2018 12:47am
phn

Hi Pawl, do you happen to know which the relevant fuse is, and where I could find this - would be an easy short term fix!

Also - having looked at some other threads on this topic, it seems it's possible to turn off the "easy access" steering column feature with an IID tool. Given my steering column otherwise works fine (adjusts perfectly all ways using manual adjustment), could this be a fix?

Many thanks,

Philip.

Post #485778 12th Aug 2018 7:29am
Pawl

I'm not sure which fuse is involved.
On ours, the seller had just disconnected the electrical connector that supplies power to the tilt motor.
It's easy to get to by unscrewing the 2 or 3 screws in the lower half of the steering column shroud & then lift the top half off (the shroud also covers the wiper / indicator switch base & the column tilt & adjust switch.
As you say, the Easy Entry mode could be turned off with a Gap IID tool. I've not looked at those settings with ours yet as the electrical disconnect does the job & doesn't appear to generste a fault codes.

PS adjust the wheel to the optimum height for you before disconnecting - unlike the idiot seller of ours - lol. Paul,

Post #485784 12th Aug 2018 9:11am
phn

I've decided to try the IID tool fix as I wanted to get one of these anyway!

I'll update when I receive it and try to disable the easy access function with it (hopefully by this weekend).

Philip.

Post #485969 13th Aug 2018 4:58pm
Pawl

While doing something else to the car today, I coupled up the IID tool & was surprised to see the easy access tilt & reach options were OFF - so not sure why it's still necessary to disconnect the tilt motor to prevent it motoring up & down when inserting / removing the ignition key. Paul,

Post #485977 13th Aug 2018 6:21pm
phn

The IID tool was a success!

After setup of the device (a simple process so long as you follow the manual) I was able to switch off the "Easy Access Steeting Column" function.

It's a great feeling not to have the steering column whirring away every time you open the door!

In addition, I was seriously impressed by the funtionality of the IID tool - I never realised just how many parameters are measured on a modern car.

So all good and a recommended solution if your easy access steering wheel is driving you mad!

Philip.

Post #486498 18th Aug 2018 8:23pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1