Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > SATNAV doesnt know where it is
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
KARMANN

2002 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Java Black
SATNAV doesnt know where it is

The satnav im my car has been fine until tonight when I was looking for a street. I typed in the address and it recognised where it had to go to. But it thought I was in Clydebank when I was in Airdrie (25miles away) switched car off and on and the satnav still doesnt know where I am. It still works but obviously gives the wrong directions and the little pointer that represents the cars position is driving across maps,ie not following any roads on the screen.
Does anyone have any ideas of what might be at fault?

I had the car in at the dealers at the beginning of the week reprogramming the radio module,dsp etc etc for a sound problem. Could this be the cause of this fault?

Is the anyway to set the cars position or reset the satnav etc?

Fraser

Post #50822 19th Feb 2011 12:39am
elpeede

England 2003 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Zambezi Silver

water ingres in the sat nav.... also effects dsp which will disappear from the menu when the nav completely dies.

Just my guess from experience.

MkIV nav is the way to go then. Also order a water shedder for about £7 from LR...

Dan will be along in a min to tell you to keep your air con on. 2010 Disco XS TDV6, 2009 Freelander 2 GS

Previous Landrover products -1990 110 TDI CSW, 2003 TD6 Vogue - RRC TD Vogue, RRC v8 Fleetline, Disco ES V8 LPG, 101 Ambulance "Morph", 1964 SIIa Auto Powered by Jag 4.2 Lump - "Percy".

Post #50823 19th Feb 2011 12:48am
KARMANN

I can guarantee the car hasnt had any water damage since the satnav last worked until now when its not working correctly.
It still works but just doesnt recognise where its location is-its as though it thinks it is a couple of miles further west than it is.

Any help would be appreciated guys

Fraser

Post #51104 21st Feb 2011 12:58am
comports

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Mariana Black

Funny - mine started playing up last Friday. map was just spinning in a circle. I ejected the disk and re inserted it and all was fine.

I think they just get confused sometimes and need resarting.

Perhaps it was the solar flare that put it out of kilter... Whistle Ash
------------------------------------------------------
2016 SDV8 AB

Post #51111 21st Feb 2011 9:26am
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

its the end of the world as we know it, or it could be the solar flares or the northern lights thats messing with tech......................... Shocked ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO ΖŽκ“•βˆ€κ“•Oκ“€ PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #51114 21st Feb 2011 10:02am
comports

The world actually ended as I knew it years ago when I first had kids. Big Cry Ash
2016 SDV8 AB

Post #51117 21st Feb 2011 10:11am
stan
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 

Laughing ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

Post #51119 21st Feb 2011 10:12am
elpeede

Ok ... the water ingress can be as simple as condensation dripping down the interior pannels on to the electonics.. it doesn't have to be a full on jet wash, valet or submersion in a river. In the same rear quarter that the sat nav unit is fitted is a box which evacuates cabin air through the wheel arch. This its self will encourage condensation as the pannels are much cooler.. so you may not even notice any water at all.

In addition there is also a common leak in this area which is fixed as part of a warantee job and also led to the water shedder (a genuine landrover part) being devised.. its a posh bag to defect condensation dripping on the units!

Regardless... the other possibility is that the sat nav wasn't powered down properly giving it sufficient time to shut off. So you may wish to park it up with the bonnet open.. leave it ten minutes and disconnect the negative lead. Leave it a good five minutes and then reconnect and try again.

As I said previously the DSP unit and Sav nav come in the same box.. or at least neither work when the Sat Nav dies or is disconnected. Indeed when I replaced my MkIII with a MKIV the DSP along with everything else was a totally different menu system.

There are a number of possibilities as I see it.. the Sat Nav is on its way out (causing your initial problems).... or your service agents are buffoons and have inadvertantly bricked the unit...

My problems manifested themselves initially with crackle and static on the sound system. undoubtedly the circuits shorting due to corrosion... what was the issue with your sound system that led to it being sent in in the first place?

I'm not saying your wrong.. just sharing my experience. Thumbs Up 2010 Disco XS TDV6, 2009 Freelander 2 GS

Previous Landrover products -1990 110 TDI CSW, 2003 TD6 Vogue - RRC TD Vogue, RRC v8 Fleetline, Disco ES V8 LPG, 101 Ambulance "Morph", 1964 SIIa Auto Powered by Jag 4.2 Lump - "Percy".

Post #51135 21st Feb 2011 1:20pm
KARMANN

The BM54 went capoot which inturn caused the DSP to go pop. Once these were replaced I could hear audio but it was very faint-took it to the Dealers who said it took them two goes at reprogramming everything so the audio sound was loud enough. SATNAV worked fine before this visit-the car hasnt been washed and I cut a Polly sheet to sit over/behind all the units so doubt its been condensation or water ingress. The car wasnt used the couple of days between getting it back and the first time I tried to use the SATNAV. I called the dealer today and they are checking it tomorrow.

Fraser

Post #51246 21st Feb 2011 9:27pm
elpeede

Sounds sensible.

I had no DSP when my Nav died, so its either part of the same unit or they are reliant upon each other. Best left in their hands. Let us know how you go on.

Sounds like you are taking all the right precautions to Thumbs Up 2010 Disco XS TDV6, 2009 Freelander 2 GS

Post #51301 22nd Feb 2011 8:40am
stan
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 

the news channels reckon its the artic storms causing sat nav problems ......... Rolling Eyes ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

Post #51307 22nd Feb 2011 8:59am
Polux

2005 Range Rover Autobiography 4.4 V8 Monte Carlo Blue

i have a mate whos technical director at road angel says they have been having multiple issues latly due to sunn flare activity increase

Post #51331 22nd Feb 2011 11:39am
elpeede

Can history tell us anything. yep from 1859 - ths last big Solar storm.

Wikipeadia 1859 solar storm

If it took out one Sat it would be sure to take out many. Next big one is anticipated 2014.

Maybe best to start learning to read a map and buy a horse or two Laughing

Interestingly Nasa are sending up a number of new Sats in 2014 to go digital with the weather sats. Maybe the timing is no coincidence. Whistle 2010 Disco XS TDV6, 2009 Freelander 2 GS

Post #51361 22nd Feb 2011 4:41pm
comports

well it seems my post above (No 4) was spot on then..! Razz Ash
2016 SDV8 AB

Post #51395 22nd Feb 2011 7:25pm
Tim in Scotland

Location: Somewhere between here and there, if not then I'm all at sea or at home in Scotland

2010 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

The strange thing is that it has only taken out one satnav set............................ not everybody's! It's a very selective solar flare that one, missed the orbiting satellites and hit one satnav in the UK! I can assure you that if it had been a solar flare problem, none of us would have any satnav and the americans would be in a tail spin as they wouldn't be able to use any of their bombs or subs or aircraft carriers......... and my ship would be going round in circles somewhere in the Middle east totally lost, which it isn't because it's anchored off Salalah in Oman and they have dusted off the sextants! 2018 Mini Countryman Cooper S E All4 PHEV in Melting Silver - it’s whisper quiet in EV and polluter modes

Post #51405 22nd Feb 2011 8:18pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>