Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > In Car Electronics (L322) > 2010 to 2012 satnav information gathering
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 10 <12345678910>
Print this entire topic · 
John w

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Autobiography Black TDV8 Barolo Black

Both JAE and one of my suppliers contacted, awaiting replies.
It looks like the mating connector comes as a 150mm long harness.
Answers on a postcard as to how expensive that will be Rolling Eyes Too many toys, not enough time

2011 4.4 TDV8 AB Black

Post #486758 21st Aug 2018 1:30pm
John w

first post updated with connector information, and to use correct terminology to match the service manual.

For those considering buying a firewire drive to have an experiment too, I would hold off for a little while.

I have a doubt as to whether it actually is firewire, given the connector is a USB2 connector, and the MCU spec sheet indicates it has USB2 interfaces, not firewire. Therefore the use of 'firewire' within the service manual may be a red herring. We shall hopefully find out soon enough. Too many toys, not enough time

2011 4.4 TDV8 AB Black

Post #486839 22nd Aug 2018 12:07pm
GGDR

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Stornoway Grey

makes sense John, firewire well out of common use by 2010.
Great work, thank you!
. Cheers, Greg
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
2011 Vogue SE 4.4 with lots of toys in Stornaway

Post #486841 22nd Aug 2018 12:19pm
dolph34

Ireland 2015 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Corris Grey

I never being so excited to see an email from FFRR.COM to notify me of an update to this thread Thumbs Up 2015 4.4 AB
GSXR 1000 K5
R1 1998

Post #486842 22nd Aug 2018 12:33pm
northernmonkeyjones

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black

Was thinking along those lines. USB and FireWire aren’t compatible with each other obviously so there must be some form of USB on the drive. There is nothing that can't be fixed with a hammer😜😜
FFRR 4.4 SDV8 Autobiography Santorini Black.
Fiat 500x 1.4 multiair Lounge 2015
2010 LR D4 Commercial 2.7 TDV6

Post #486848 22nd Aug 2018 1:59pm
John w

I have a drive that has both USB and firewire connections, so it could have been possible.

One of you guys posted a link to a thread or directly to the update tool and lead. If there is a picture of the lead I could probably figure it out.

Still waiting for a reply on price and availability of the connector looms. There is however an adaptor that goes from the special socket to a normal USB socket. That may well be the better option which I will ask about when they come back to me.

With regard to file formats, I spent the evening digging through my old notes, and trawling for info.
The 05-10 DVD systems use KWI format, which is a published standard. I no longer have access to this standard, but can probably piece together sufficient for my immediate needs.
A side investigation would be to determine if fairly recent (i.e. 2017/8 ) maps are available in this format, so they could be modified for FFRR DVD use.

When the screen arrives I hope to do some basic operational checks and then pull the drive to check its data format. If its essentially the same as the DVDs we know what we are into.

There is every possibility that the 2013 on (405) USB updates are a different format, as a new international standard came out around that time. Whether LR were early adopters Rolling with laughter is unknown.
If any of the 405 owners have a USB satnav update they would be willing to share a copy of, we could figure this out too Wink Too many toys, not enough time

2011 4.4 TDV8 AB Black

Post #486850 22nd Aug 2018 2:24pm
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

this is starting to get into a very grey area of copyrights John....

although it makes sense for third partys to find a way update the hard drive navs because LR no longer supports them, forum rules state that any web links or sales of hybrid/pirated copies of legal landrover/here mapping is not allowed so we need to be very careful.. ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #486851 22nd Aug 2018 3:22pm
Bushy30

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Galway Green

Hi Stan,

I appreciate your concern here and I certainly wouldn't wish to insight anyone to break the law or site rules, I believe that using a legitimate file system to determine what format the files are and if they are *likely to be able to be used in a 2010-2012 wouldn't break any copyright law. Once we know the format individuals can then purchase legitimate up to date maps.

In short I agree we need to be careful, but also think we are being Smile

Ian Current: 2011 FFRR Vogue SE 4.4 TDV8
Previous: -
2004 FFRR Vogue 4.4 V8 with LPG
1997 P38 4.0 SE with LPG
1997 P38 4.6 Vogue with LPG

Post #486853 22nd Aug 2018 4:14pm
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

if the hard drive can be accessed and loaded with legal mapping then that would be beneficial for a lot of members Thumbs Up ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #486854 22nd Aug 2018 4:25pm
John w

I do agree Stan, and have been mulling over where this might lead.

This is very much an information gathering and fact finding operation at present, as the thread title suggests.
This is partly why I have not accepted any offers of payments, incase it is perceived as anything more than this.
(To all those that offered money, I do appreciate this, so thank you. Sharing the cost of the research is great. At present I would hope to sell on the screen once I am done with it, so I shouldn't be out of pocket money wise. If I have to commit to buy something I can't sell on then I will see what you guys think at that stage)

I am not using any techniques that go beyond an engineering / technical asessment, and whilst I intend to share my findings, that's it.
Any one of you could repeat what I am doing with a bit of technical ability. I just happen to have a bit more domain knowledge, so have a head start Wink

To be clear here, my request for other versions of media is to enable this asessment, not to provide copies to others.
I have declared to those that have shared media with me that I will not distribute what they have given me.

Should the findings indicate updates are possible, and we choose to update maps or indeed the OS, we can discuss how that might be achieved legally, within the constraints of the forum. For example, using open street maps.

Incidentally, I found a previous thread on here where another guy atempted to read the hard drive with no success, so this may well be a no go anyway.

Don't be surprised if the progress and number of posts slows down a bit Whistle Too many toys, not enough time

2011 4.4 TDV8 AB Black

Last edited by John w on 23rd Aug 2018 7:41am. Edited 2 times in total

Post #486871 22nd Aug 2018 8:31pm
GraemeS

Australia 2012 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Bournville

The electrical schematic of the navigation schematic labels the 4 wires appropriately for Firewire.

Post #486875 22nd Aug 2018 8:43pm
Stuart-

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black

I have a 2010 car and I had an an errand up Barnsley way this morning - my mapping was inadequate. Many roads exist that dont on my maps and I'm sure it took me all round the houses.

I'd like an update. I'm not inclined to pay the main stealer £200 for an update. I dont want it that much. But I agree it can't be beyond the wit of intelligent technical-minded folk who understand (or can learn) the software and grasp how the maps are loaded to locate more up to date ones and learn how to load them. I'm sure none of the technology used will be unique.

John W, you are doing the community a great service by investigating this. Bow down

When the time comes I'll happily chip in to have a solution/upgrade. And if the end solution is commercially viable as a DIY for folks, I'll help out with that in case of need as e-commerce is my area of expertise. 2017 4.4 SDV8 Autobiography in black
2018 D300 SE Velar in champagne
Spiffing wheel centre caps available

Post #487142 25th Aug 2018 6:06pm
John w

Thanks Stuart.

I agree, my car still has 2010 maps, which for main roads are fine but there are so many new trading and housing estates gone up in that time.

The display still hasn't arrived yet, so no progress on the physical inspection.

If I can find a way to update the maps it will probably be a miracle Laughing
It certainly won't be easy, as no doubt lots of people have had a go over the years. Too many toys, not enough time

2011 4.4 TDV8 AB Black

Post #487146 25th Aug 2018 7:20pm
2nd Rower

Australia 2010 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Zermatt Silver

You may have discussed this, but have you thought about asking LR for the specs, particularly given they no longer support this?

Post #487331 27th Aug 2018 10:31pm
Weegie

Scotland 2008 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

They have been asked and didn't respond other than with a bland unhelpfull reply eg:

http://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic27535....p;start=15

Other requests have been made since then with nil result.

They will still point dvd updaters to a 2012 £160 update. Evil or Very Mad John
2008 Stornoway Grey 3.6 Tdv8 Vogue
2005 TD6 Java Black Vogue - Written off!!
GAP iiD BT
2003 Discovery TD5 Auto, Nanocom Evolution - gone to a new home!
MasseyFerguson 152 - No electronics!! - Sold

Post #487339 28th Aug 2018 7:08am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 10 <12345678910>