Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > Headlight wiper relay
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Balloonengineer

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Orkney Grey
Headlight wiper relay

Hopefully somebody can cast some advice or part numbers.

The wipers have stopped working, resetting fuse 28 causes the washer jets to work, but no wiping.
They did wipe but now stopped, one part way.

I have got to the buried relay in the dash end, and its green marked ford and V23136A1X32 which is different to all the ones on ebay which are light brown and marked BMW. Mine is a 54 plate so maybe has a bit of a change over period?

There are 2 identical relays next to each other. What does the other one do?

I can't see why the wipers have seized as power is getting to the washer pump. Are they easy to take apart and refurbish?

Ay ideas of a part number as getting that info seems impossible!

Any ideas which pins I can directly power with 12v on the wiper motor as there are 2 feeds and an earth, so 1 is probably an intermittent and one is permanent?
Many thanks
Glen Previously......
Series 1 80, Series 3 88, Turbo 90, 300tdi 90, 110's with 200, 300, TD5
TD5 Disco, Disco 3, 200Tdi Disco - probably the best vehicle Landrover ever made,
Now 3x FFRR, some would say I should have learned by now......

Post #488164 6th Sep 2018 6:48pm
nicedayforit

England 2004 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Giverny Green

This any use to you?

Post #488167 6th Sep 2018 7:07pm
Balloonengineer

Thanks
That's what Im already working on, but can't work out if the BN is a switched positive or negative. Probably a neg.
And as motors may or may not work, its hard to tell if I have the right connection if I flash some power through them
If somebody has one lying about that is known to work or has tested one already would be great to know what made it work! Previously......
TD5 Disco, Disco 3, 200Tdi Disco - probably the best vehicle Landrover ever made,

Post #488174 6th Sep 2018 8:00pm
Balloonengineer

A bit of an update

The relays in the dash are green Ford ones, second hand on ebay at £5, but I swapped it with the one next to it, and no change, so not the relay. The loom is long enough that it will reach to re-locate the relays to behind the LH kick panel, so now no need to remove the dash end to get to them should they ever need attention.

So I removed the motors, actually quite an easy job to do.
The motors come apart quite easily by un-pinging the back cover. With 12v flashed to the central 2 connections on the PCB, the motor spins quite nicely.
So what was wrong? the red gear wheel was an unbelievable tight fit on its bearing, which is actually a groove. What appears to happen is the gear is made of nylon and it swells with age and jams. Its feasible to Dremel a bit more clearance, but as I have a lathe I skimmed out the groove a bit bigger.
Both motors had the same problem, except one had also stripped the teeth on the plastic worm wheel, so that's scrap.
The gear wheel also runs a smaller wheel which operates a microswitch to tell it when to turn off, but lining that back up to the correct tooth has defeated me so far.

As a matter of interest the only difference between the left and right motors is the red gears crank is 180 degrees opposite.

So all in all, it seems very easy to refurbish the motors to as good as new, if I can solve which tooth to line up the microswitch to, So the motor runs beautifully now, but the arc sweep is wrong.
If anybody is having a go, accurately mark the red gear in place without disturbing its position BEFORE you take the rest of it apart, and it should be fine!

So I now need to get some replacement motors, prob off ebay unless anybody has some laying about to dispose of
Best wishes
Glen Previously......

Post #488317 7th Sep 2018 7:14pm
Jon G

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Baltic Blue

Sure I read somewhere on here about the Motors being Powered via the Rear Washer Pump.
My Headlight Wipers used to not cycle correctly and I'm sure disconnecting that Pump and then doing a reset sorted them out.
Just can't remember how I did it.

Post #488323 7th Sep 2018 8:11pm
Balloonengineer

I think you mean the wipers also run the headlight washer pump which if seized trip the BCU and stop the wipers from working correctly, which needs fuse 28 to be pulled to reset.
The same if the wiper motor trip the BCU as the BCU is what sends the signal from the wiper stalk when the lights are on.
If the BCU hasn't received a parked signal within 30 or so seconds it stops (most of!!) the power to the motors, but not all!

Jammed motors or washer pump seem to be a cause of parasitic battery drain. Mine had a 0.2A pull even when not working. I have a cheap blade fuse ammeter which is great and much more convenient for checking these things.
Best wishes
Glen Previously......

Post #488350 7th Sep 2018 10:42pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1