Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > In Car Electronics (L405) > Faulty radio (+Berserk Seat) is ruining the RR experience.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 4 1234>
Print this entire topic · 
bestman

Faulty radio (+Berserk Seat) is ruining the RR experience.

New to Range Rover, and thoroughly enjoying effortless RIB towing the length of the country, and off road performance, every bit as good as my previous Disco 3.

However the ownership experience is being ruined by the fact that I can only on occasion listen to BBC Radio, and dropping the kids off at school, and then on to work, it is impossible. I used to be able to listen in FM in the old Disco, and perfectly in DAB, in my Mini and Audi, on that route.

I bought a 'Landrover Approved' used vehicle from Ryebrook Landrover. There were several issues so the vehicle had to go back to them for rectification. I explained that the radio didn't work properly, and sent them various videos highlighting the problem. They could find no fault and hinted strongly at user error. After a ridiculous amount of emails I was told everything was ok.

I now have the vehicle back, and despite their assurances, it is as bad as ever. Ryebrook haven't even acknowledged my latest email, and frankly I don't want to deal with them anymore.

Are there any known faults? Is there anything obvious I can check? Can the aerial be upgraded? Any suggestions welcome.

Last edited by bestman on 16th Sep 2018 7:25pm. Edited 3 times in total

Post #488328 7th Sep 2018 7:22pm
syl

The warranty is not dealer specific. Take it to another one. RRS MY17 SDV6 AB
Evoque MY17 TD4 AB

Post #488336 7th Sep 2018 9:05pm
basil

2014 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Mariana Black

Can you tell me what model and year you re having problems with? I have really patchy DAB reception in a 2-14 L405 Autobiography. Please also update the thread with your progress!

Post #488339 7th Sep 2018 9:18pm
Cam-Tech-Craig

England 2015 Range Rover SVAutobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

The radio ariels are in the rear quarter windows... If your windows have an aftermarket tint applied then that can cause big issues...

Post #488345 7th Sep 2018 9:31pm
Balloonengineer

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Orkney Grey

Do you have a USB charger in the car?

I have had a few USB chargers that put out so much RF noise, I could only get radio 4 or a strong local signal.

Before you totally blame the car, do make sure you have no other electrical devices whatsoever in the car including, phone chargers, GPS, dash cams etc etc. As just one of them might be blocking the radio signal. If its better, put them back one at a time to find out which one it is.
Google it and it shows up as a common problem. You can get low noise chargers, google them too. I also had a Garmin sat nav that did it!
See or
I might even upload my own video to demonstrate how bad some (not all!) are.

It might not be, but it might just be that, and worth a try. It affected my car.

Best wishes
Glen Previously......
Series 1 80, Series 3 88, Turbo 90, 300tdi 90, 110's with 200, 300, TD5
TD5 Disco, Disco 3, 200Tdi Disco - probably the best vehicle Landrover ever made,
Now 3x FFRR, some would say I should have learned by now......

Last edited by Balloonengineer on 8th Sep 2018 8:28am. Edited 2 times in total

Post #488353 7th Sep 2018 9:53pm
pld118

Scotland 2014 Range Rover Vogue SDV6 Santorini Black

Ours is perfect and we regularly have multiple Bluetooth/ WiFi enabled smartphones, tablets, USB plugs and chargers in the car.

Have you reset the auto tune on the DAB function which can be required when moving into different areas?

Otherwise, you could get a similar aged L405 to do the same run where you’re experiencing problems to try and replicate it (perhaps easier said than done).

Post #488364 8th Sep 2018 7:15am
Vogue

United Kingdom 

No issues on mine either 2021 L405 Vogue SE 4.4 V8 DIESEL ~ #17

Post #488384 8th Sep 2018 10:10am
bestman

Thanks very much for all the replies.

The vehicle is a Vogue SE, Model year 2016.

Topix says FRT/RR TGHND W/PRIV GLASS which I assumed meant factory tinted rear glass - if this is not the case, an aftermarket attempt, may be the source of the problem?

I can't realistically find an identical vehicle - but it should be enough that the 3 other vehicles I have done the exact same journey in, have not experienced any problems. This isn't a marginal issue, it is impossible to properly receive most channels, including all the mainstream BBC stuff.

I have booked the vehicle in for a service next week so we will see what Harwoods make of it.

I do have a USB charger but I am pretty sure I have pulled it out (de-powerred it) to confirm it is not the source, incidentally I have had them cause issues in a light aircraft that was resolved but fitting a 'quality' manufacturers unit. I will re-check this by completely removing it on Monday's run.

Does the fact that FM, as well as DAB, is pretty useless help isolate the problem, or point to anything?

I must have retuned dozens of times, and then re-selected the channel from the list, so I don't think it is user error - although it wouldn't be the first time.....

Last edited by bestman on 12th Sep 2018 10:43am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #488404 8th Sep 2018 1:13pm
bestman

I have checked and USB chargers are making no difference at all.

Post #488407 8th Sep 2018 2:17pm
Alistair

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

bestman wrote:
Does the fact that FM, as well as DAB, is pretty useless help isolate the problem, or point to anything?

Well, I guess the antenna connection may be disconnected/loose/corroded ?

Or there is some problem with the antenna itself.....

Post #488416 8th Sep 2018 5:00pm
Montys 4x4

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography TDV6 Carpathian Grey

I'm afraid you are not alone, together with the 3.0 TDV6 oil Dilution issue (still on going) I have had poor quality radio reception since buying my RR Autobiog. new last year one attempt to fix at dealership with a software upgrade has done nothing. I get crackling on whatever radio station DAB, FM and iphone music through hardwire link or Bluetooth. Also have the clicking during telephone conversations. The give away is its at it noisiest as a constant clicking when reversing and the camera is on the screen. I've encountered this when testing vehicles and vehicle sub systems at various test houses such as MIRA and its down to poor EMC/EMI filtering. Software is not going to fix that if it is the reason I'm afraid. My RR is due to go in for soon to be released engine DPF re-generation/oil dilution software patch shortly (its not released yet) and will also have the clicking speakers sorted I'm promised.

Paul Journey started in a LR2B at 16 and has incl. just about every Land Rover, Disco, RRS and Range Rover Vehicle owned or driven, I even worked for the company when it was owned by BAe - It must be a madness!!! because to add to my 4.4 TDV8 Westminister In Baltic Blue I bought a second L322 as a commuter bus, TD6 2004 Vogue in Oslo Blue with cream leather now both gone replaced with what could turn out to be my biggest mistake. Carpathian Grey ivory interior 3.0 tdv6 Autobiog. 2017

Post #488578 10th Sep 2018 11:45am
bestman

Well I dropped the vehicle in to Harwoods this morning, they mentioned the software upgrade, but after reading Monty's post I'm not holding out much hope.

I showed them video of NO SIGNAL in the RR and of 'no problem' in the MINI driving through the same village. I have also had 'no problem' in all other vehicles I've done the regular trip in.

Vehicle is also going in for service, well ahead of when it would be expected, so it looks like I may also be suffering from the oil dilution issue....

I had my Disco 3 from new, and managed 247,000 miles without this sort of nonsense; I am beginning to regret my purchase.

Post #488656 11th Sep 2018 9:47am
Fleagle_UK

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Luxor

Speaking from personal experiences, dealerships love to pull the "we've done a software update sir, see if that fixes your problem" - can't remember one occasion where it has..... translate as "We'll fob you off hoping you know nothing"

Post #488678 11th Sep 2018 2:31pm
nicedayforit

England 2004 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Giverny Green

Alistair wrote:
bestman wrote:

Well, I guess the antenna connection may be disconnected/loose/corroded ?

Or there is some problem with the antenna itself.....

If you can't even get good quality fm I think Alistair is on the right lines, you have an aerial problem somewhere. You can usually get good fm reception these days with a piece of wet string. Thumbs Up

Post #488679 11th Sep 2018 3:36pm
Bill

United Kingdom 

On my old 322, was the Ariel in the window and they just replaced the rear screen. Spottted straight away by the dealer with the computer check.

There used to be another problem with a ticking noise years ago and that was to do with the tv. Solution was to switch the tv to USA , this stopped the car picking up U.K. tv signals which b Censored d the radio reception. I assume that issue was solved many years ago. Filters are in fact so good that in certain circumstances, when the ambient air is already polluted, a diesel car will tend to extract more particles from the air than it emits. Emissions Analytics worked with........etc etc

He who dies with the most toys wins...

Post #488691 11th Sep 2018 5:43pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 4 1234>