Home > In Car Electronics (L405) > WiFi / SIM etc - newbie questions
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
NotNowJohn

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography TDV6 Santorini Black
WiFi / SIM etc - newbie questions

Folks

Just a query about connectivity. I’ve created all my accounts for InControl (have all the subscriptions), as well as the “Here” account for route planning. I have also set up “Live” for weather etc.

HOWEVER...I don’t have a SIM card installed and was wondering if I can set the car up to default to using my mobile phone data allowance? I can’t see it in the manual, and apologies if it’s been covered on here. I can obviously switch on the hotspot on my iPhone X and connect the car to it from the WiFi bit in the connectivity settings, but I’d rather have it all done automatically, plus I find the hotspot on my phone times out sometimes. I suspect the answer is “no” and that I need to get a data SIM...but I thought I’d check with you guys.

If I do need to go down the SIM route, I gather I’m restricted to 3G and cannot get 4G? If so, has anyone any experience using the SIM to connect two kids’ ipads to the car’s hotspot? If so did the 3G handle it OK? I suppose I could use my iPhone 4G hotspot for the iPads and the car’s SIM for all the car type stuff? Any advice or experience would be much appreciated.

Would also be good to get a handle of how much data you guys use in a typical month?

Finally - is there a way to send satnav commands to the car from the route planner app? Can seem to find out anywhere...

Thanks a lot in advance folks.

Cheers

Post #489751 23rd Sep 2018 7:45pm
Huwrhys

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

I’ve tried connecting both ways and it worked well in either direction tbh. Both phone to car and car to phone. It is only 3G if tethered to the car but 3G here is pretty quick compared to overseas. I use the 3 sim and have for about three months and have used very little data in that time. I find that the sat nav App sync’s with the car without having to do anything other than setting the destination on the phone. On the one occasion it didn’t there’s a sync button on the sat nav screen which does it quickly.

Post #489773 24th Sep 2018 2:22am
NotNowJohn

Thanks for that - did you find a way to automatically connect your car to your phone’s SIM for mobile data services, or did you have to manually switch on the phone’s hotspot each time?

Also, if you don’t mind me asking, approximately how much data did you use during the theee months you had the SIM please? I assume you just used it for car stuff and not kids’s iPads!?

Thanks again
NNJ 2017 Range Rover Autobiography in Santorini Black with 22” turbines.

Post #489778 24th Sep 2018 7:04am
Huwrhys

I think my iPhone timed out so had to relink each time. The data is pretty low at 390mb over the last 3 months but I didn’t know what to expect so turned off the satellite view on the sat nav. My sim is 12gb over 12 months so I think I’ll switch it back on.

Post #489789 24th Sep 2018 8:33am
NotNowJohn

Brilliant, thanks. Think I will get a SIM. I assume it’s a micro SIM? 2017 Range Rover Autobiography in Santorini Black with 22” turbines.

Post #489803 24th Sep 2018 10:14am
Huwrhys

It’s a micro sim.

Post #489816 24th Sep 2018 11:58am
NotNowJohn

Got a data-only SIM from Three today, £14/month for 20GB on a 12 month contract. Seemed a great deal, installed and working a treat. Also allows the kids to stream both iPads simultaneously without too many issues, but will need to keep an eye on the data usage!

Thanks very much for your help. 2017 Range Rover Autobiography in Santorini Black with 22” turbines.

Post #489857 24th Sep 2018 6:45pm
Huwrhys

You do know you can get a 12gb sim for £30 which lasts 12 months. Should give you all year for £30 for all the data you need.

Post #489866 24th Sep 2018 7:29pm
NotNowJohn

Yes I do know that, but for the sake of £14 per month (which my business pays for) I can let the kids stream their iPads from the car's hotspot without having to worry too much. I was dubious if only having 3G would make this tricky but the manager of the Three shop said I can return the SIM and cancel my contract within 14 days if it doesn't fit my exact needs (I have this authorisation in writing). I have tested it out with both iPads streaming Netflix and the satellite view etc. on in the Sat Nav and no issues so far. We're planning a weekend away this weekend and we'll be going through some dodgy signal areas, if it works, great, if not, I can hand the SIM back and go to one of the cheaper ones like you mentioned, for sat nav stuff only. 2017 Range Rover Autobiography in Santorini Black with 22” turbines.

Post #489887 25th Sep 2018 6:28am
Huwrhys

Fair enough. I have a spare sim awaiting the first to run out but so far (no kids on iPads) still only 400mb. My phone deal gives me 60gb of 4g/month and wondered if it was best to use that rather than the 3 sim fitted in the car. Using the amount it does there seems little point in saving any.

Post #489894 25th Sep 2018 7:34am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1