Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays > Reducing battery consumption when camping with your l322
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
FrankRizzo

Germany 2012 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Santorini Black
Reducing battery consumption when camping with your l322

Spent last week camping in Alpe d'Huez in the French Alps while competing in a mountain bike race and the car was parked in a field without being moved for about five days. However, I was constantly unlocking and locking the car to take gear in and out mornings and evenings (my tent attached to the side of the car - see photo). On Friday afternoon the boot wouldn't open and then I realised the car wouldn't start. Flat battery.

Luckily I was able to borrow some jump leads and get the car started after about 25 minutes of charging from a friend's car. I didn't think about how much power each unlock, door open, door close and lock cycle was consuming. It got me wondering if there are any ways you can reduce the amount of power accessing the vehicle consumes.

I've since learned that you can disable the interior lights by holding the central interior light switch until it flashes, which is a good start (assuming you have another light source when accessing the vehicle at night). However unlocking the car still powers up the binnacle display and also the central touch screen and these remain on for a short while after locking the vehicle. Is there any way to unlock and open the vehicle and close it again without all the computers etc. from powering up?

Any other tips for reducing the battery consumption when you aren't planning on moving the vehicle for while but still need to access it? I'd be interested in any tips L322 campers can offer Smile

2012 Vogue 4.4 TDV8 automatic (LHD), Santorini Black
2008 Vogue 3.6 TDV8 automatic (LHD), Java Black

Post #483141 10th Jul 2018 8:50pm
Alistair

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

Mains outlet and battery charger ?
Take along a second battery or fit a dual battery setup ?
Start it and leave running for a while every few days ?

Post #483142 10th Jul 2018 8:54pm
FrankRizzo

I had the DBPower 600A battery charger with me but it didn't succeed in starting the car which is why I resorted to the jump start. The field I was camping on was only used for camping for the week of the event I was attending so it had not mains or water supply. I could have started the car every few days but it's a bit annoying for the other campers. I was hoping there might be some secret way of accessing the car without everything coming online Laughing

Of course, I could have simply unloaded everything into the tent but the car is obviously more secure when your camping spot is not occupied during the day. 2012 Vogue 4.4 TDV8 automatic (LHD), Santorini Black

Post #483146 10th Jul 2018 9:04pm
nicedayforit

England 2004 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Giverny Green

You can fit a temporary second battery in the boot connected to the rear fuseboard and disconnect the negative terminal from the front battery during your stay.

When the front battery is disconnected it will retain its full charge so that when you want to start the car all you do is reconnect the terminal and away you go. Even easier if you fit a battery isolating switch to the front battery.
When you have the front battery disconnected the second battery will quite happily keep the car operating, just make sure your drivers door can be opened by key if you happen to discharge the second battery.

If the second battery does discharge all you have to do is leave it connected, start the car via the front battery and go for a run to recharge it.
You can connect the second temporary battery by Anderson plugs, crocodile clips etc.

This arrangement also works for those leaving their cars in airport carparks for extended periods and guarantees the car will start when required. Thumbs Up

Post #483149 10th Jul 2018 9:22pm
FrankRizzo

Interesting solution. Something to consider for next year's trip. Thanks for the reply! Thumbs Up 2012 Vogue 4.4 TDV8 automatic (LHD), Santorini Black

Post #483150 10th Jul 2018 9:32pm
Pawl

England 2007 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Cairns Blue

If I understand correctly what I've been reading in other forum battery related posts & from my own recent experience with our car, a major issue with the RR is that many electrical systems in the car take at least 20 minutes to shut off after locking the car.
So the electrical consumption is much higher than you might think if the car is locked / unlocked a few times - especially if there's an interval of more than 20 minutes between them.
Leaving the car unlocked, seems to be even worse. I've twice flattened the battery over what was as little as 6 hours when working on the car while leaving it unlocked.
The car appears to hold it's charge fine /re-start OK for more than 3 days - when left locked.
( I'm assuming this indicates no major electrical system drain issues.)

The message appears to be to keep the car locked & unlock as few times as possible - unless the engine is re-started to re-charge the battery. Paul,
2001 Discovery 2 TD5, 211,000 miles & climbing
2006 FFRR TDV8 Vogue 145,000 miles & climbing
Member of Midland (Land) Rover Owners Club, www.mroc.co.uk

Post #483153 10th Jul 2018 10:44pm
northernmonkeyjones

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black

you could get a solar charger and put it on the roof and wired directly the battery for the duration. Thumbs Up

that would trickle charge the battery while you are camping. need a fairly big charger though. There is nothing that can't be fixed with a hammer😜😜
FFRR 4.4 SDV8 Autobiography Santorini Black.
Fiat 500x 1.4 multiair Lounge 2015
2010 LR D4 Commercial 2.7 TDV6

Post #483223 11th Jul 2018 4:41pm
p38arover

Australia 2004 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Adriatic Blue

Solar panels connected to the main battery - although there doesn't appear to be a lot of sun in your pic.

Would they be safe or stolen if you left them connected while away from the campsite?

My panels. Hmm, pix significantly degraded when uploaded.

Ron B. VK2OTC
2004 L322 V8 Auto
2007 Yamaha XJR1300
Previous: 1983, 1986 RRC; 1995, 1996 P38A; 1995 Disco1; 1984 V8 County 110; Series IIA

Post #483243 11th Jul 2018 11:04pm
FrankRizzo

Sorry, missed the notification of the last post. That looks pretty cool. I could probably have left panels like that connected during the day with no problems. Might be good if you could lock them to the roof or something. The weather was generally good enough to charge them during the day. The photo above was gloomy but it was generally hot and sunny all week. 2012 Vogue 4.4 TDV8 automatic (LHD), Santorini Black

Post #496441 23rd Nov 2018 7:44pm
3528cc

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Autobiography 4.2 SC V8 Buckingham Blue

Suffered the same myself whilst camping.

I turn the interior light out, if the upper tailgate is open I close the lock to turn the boot/tailgate lights off.

Issue appears to be the car "waking up" the ecu's when unlocked, and Censored down after locking/standing.

I avoid multiple locking / unlocking, and if safe to do so leaving the car unlocked. Regards
Royston

2008 4.2 Supercharged Autobiography
1994 Classic Vogue SE
1999 Rover BRM
1987 Rover Vitesse Twin Plenum

Post #496515 24th Nov 2018 8:41pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1