Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Events > Lochgilphead Forest this weekend
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Tim in Scotland

Location: Somewhere between here and there, if not then I'm all at sea or at home in Scotland

2010 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey
Lochgilphead Forest this weekend

Not really suitable for sparkly FFRR's but if you also have a Defender or a Disco1 or 2 and it's got some MTR's and recovery ropes then there is a "Bashers" Weekend in the Lochgilphead Forest this weekend - start is 09:30 on Saturday and Sunday mornings from the forest entrance about 0.5miles on the Lochgilphead side of the village of Lochgair. Cost is £25 a day or £35 if you are doing both days. These drives are not extreme but they are challenging and cars do get scratched by overhanging trees and dinged sometimes (that's why I say not suitable for D3/FFRR although we have had 2 RRS's now and several D3's but they have to miss out some of the stages because they are too wide for some of the tracks through between the trees. I'm there all weekend with my 90 and I think there might be a couple of others from the forum coming along with their 90's too. FullFatRR mini-meet in Defenders? If anybody wants to come along and leave their FFRR at the Lochgair Hotel for the day then I have a one empty passenger seat - please PM me to let me know you are going and I'll wait at the hotel.
You will need a packed lunch, waterproofs and wellies (expect to do some shovelling, tree lopping and rock carrying to get bogged down cars out too). These drives are the real deal on open Forest Enterprise land, none of your soft LRE/ pay and play stuff!

More pics here http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y217/joll...July%2009/
Just to make Gaz want to rush out and get a proper offroad wagon that will fit between the trees!

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green  2018 Mini Countryman Cooper S E All4 PHEV in Melting Silver - it’s whisper quiet in EV and polluter modes

Post #51739 24th Feb 2011 4:29pm
Gazellio @ Prestige Cars

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover SE Td6 Zermatt Silver

Hi is that 0800 DEFENDER, good I need a Grey one..... Laughing

PS: Those pictures look brilliant and the views Bow down

Post #51741 24th Feb 2011 4:56pm
Tim in Scotland

Location: Somewhere between here and there, if not then I'm all at sea or at home in Scotland

Glasgow's backyard Gaz, only 90 minutes drive from the city on a good day! Took me 75minutes to drive up tonight 2018 Mini Countryman Cooper S E All4 PHEV in Melting Silver - it’s whisper quiet in EV and polluter modes

Post #51761 24th Feb 2011 7:30pm
Gazellio @ Prestige Cars

Not a bad backyard Tim:

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green

Post #51763 24th Feb 2011 7:35pm
axle

Australia 2008 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Rimini Red

I unfortunately can't make it but that actually is my back yard. Razz 2008 MY Supercharged
Rimini Red / Jet
four zone climate
remote park heater
and no ugly kid windows.
magnus satis quod turpis satis

Post #51778 24th Feb 2011 8:51pm
T24RES

United Kingdom 

axle wrote:
I unfortunately can't make it but that actually is my back yard. Razz

Thats awful, must be a real worry having to come home and look at that? Shocked Ian

Post #51780 24th Feb 2011 8:55pm
Tim in Scotland

Well today was setting up and checking the tracks day (always the best as there only usually 2 or 3 of us to hack back lots of over grown trails or dig lots of drainage runs to get water out of ruts or even cart tons of rock in the back of the car to fill in the worst of the quagmires! Cracking weather, occasional blue patches of sky, odd light shower and a lovely warm breeze. Not to much winter damage to our special stages so all looks set for a great weekend, regardless of how much rain falls out of the sky! And I am ashamed to say my Epsom Green 90SW isn't even very dirty yet. 2018 Mini Countryman Cooper S E All4 PHEV in Melting Silver - it’s whisper quiet in EV and polluter modes

Post #51888 25th Feb 2011 5:48pm
Tim in Scotland

Brilliant weekend, got in some winching practice with hauling a Cherokee out of a 2m deep ditch that the driver somehow managed to slide off the track sideways into, requiring some very lateral thinking with two winch equipped 90's and 2 more stropped to the back of each as ground anchors. An expensive ditch for the Cherokee owner as he slipped down on the nearside and lost about 3 gallons of petrol out of the overflow while the car was on its side. I suspect his good lady wife will be less keen to come out on the next run having sat on the low side of the car with icy ditchwater seeping into the car as well as petrol flowing out of it and she wasn't able to crawl out! Sunday we had some kids and parents from a local hospice that we donate money to from our drive fees along with us................ they thought that they were going to admire the views from the forest roads...................... the kids loved every minute of it, especially when they were allowed to drive in the sand pit we have as one of the special stages and it has a pool of sandy/muddy water that is almost up to top of the wings - the competition was for them to see how big a bow-wave they could get. No prizes for drowning a car though, and as usual there was somebody who went in woth the 2 vents under the front screen open which caused a riot of laughter from the kids. One thing I could guarantee was they had a great fun day out and doubtless they will will be making those too ill to join in very jealous when their photos and videos are shown.

Photos are here http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y217/joll...eb%202011/
and I will add some videos tonight 2018 Mini Countryman Cooper S E All4 PHEV in Melting Silver - it’s whisper quiet in EV and polluter modes

Last edited by Tim in Scotland on 28th Feb 2011 1:48pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #52115 28th Feb 2011 1:43pm
Gazellio @ Prestige Cars

I want to move to Scotland Bow down

Post #52117 28th Feb 2011 1:46pm
Tim in Scotland

Plenty of room for everybody, problem is finding land owners prepared to let us have fun! Gaz there is another run that your Disco would be great for - it's a run completely offroad and as there are no trees so far north nothing to scratch it, from Kyle of Tongue (where Clarkson did the mountain climb in the "bog" standard D3) across the top left corner of Scotland to Loch Eriboll - if you google offroad loch eriboll or Portal Axle Land Rovers Scotland you may find a few links to this and last years runs.
BTW Axle couldn't make it but 4 of the lads from the boatyard across the road from his house joined us in 90's 2018 Mini Countryman Cooper S E All4 PHEV in Melting Silver - it’s whisper quiet in EV and polluter modes

Post #52118 28th Feb 2011 1:53pm
axle

Australia 2008 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Rimini Red

Censored Censored Censored I want my 90 back , I feel the urge to play in the mud.
Tim when I worked at the boat yard I had the only LR 90 now their must be half a dozen and I think they all want do more off road . 2008 MY Supercharged
Rimini Red / Jet
four zone climate
remote park heater
and no ugly kid windows.
magnus satis quod turpis satis

Post #52150 28th Feb 2011 5:07pm
Tim in Scotland

Axle, there were 2 90's from the boat yard and I reckon they were on their works day out yesterday before the sailing season resumes! One of them was the Red Truck Cab with the Ifor Williams cover over the tub (which belongs to one of the of the management) and the other was a Coniston Green 90 Hard Top belonging to the young lad who is the yard's rigger, both had a passenger who works at the yard. The lad in the Green HT was on his first trip out in his own 90 whoch was bought from one of the other yard employees, the lad (Peter?) had a ball even on semi slick, ancient, narrow All Terrain tyres that I think may have been originals............... for his first attempt he did jolly well and only needed minimal help to get traction.

It is still to be confirmed but we will be having another outing at Easter if you want a day trip out, and I'm still at home! Plenty of warning for others who may want to drive a short drive north (well about 9 hours from Central England) to come and join in with their Disco3's or Defenders (we even take Jeep's and Jap SUV's too!). 2018 Mini Countryman Cooper S E All4 PHEV in Melting Silver - it’s whisper quiet in EV and polluter modes

Post #52185 28th Feb 2011 7:17pm
Tim in Scotland

2 Videos uploaded to here http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y217/joll...%20Videos/
they are in the wrong order in the file - ie view No2 before No1 and I apologise for the "entertainment" that was playing on the sound track of one of the videos - if you are interested the 1st bit is Garrison Keillor reading from his Liberty book and the 2nd piece is some music from the Western Isles of Scotland.......... just turn the volume on your computer down if you don't want to hear the background "noise". More videos will be put up tonight. In the video that should be watched first the steep piece of banking doesn't look very steep in the video............. I can assure you that it is VERY steep and has a step half way down where we removed a large stone that turned out to be more of a huge rock so that added some more interest to an already interesting section. The guys with petrol automatics reckon this is a real bum clencher as they don't have the same engine braking that the diesel manuals have so have to drive down that slope Shocked Shocked 2018 Mini Countryman Cooper S E All4 PHEV in Melting Silver - it’s whisper quiet in EV and polluter modes

Post #52312 1st Mar 2011 2:55pm
Gazellio @ Prestige Cars

Cool videos I think I will need the 5cm Coil lift before I venture onto deep rutted forest tracks..... Thumbs Up

Post #52314 1st Mar 2011 3:25pm
Tim in Scotland

most of the cars that come on these trails have standard Defender suspension, only 2 or 3 cars come with suspension lifts and they are often the cars that have all the problems too........... like broken transmissions and the like! My 90 had new suspension components 4 years ago when I had it re-chassised, only standard Land Rover heavy duty parts and that gave it 3" of suspension it didn't used to have! Also meant I had to have a new draw fitted to my Ivor Williams trailer as the rear was dragging on the road after the new chassis was fitted! A lot of what sounds like suspension springs is my CB antenna recoiling after being dragged under overhanging branches 2018 Mini Countryman Cooper S E All4 PHEV in Melting Silver - it’s whisper quiet in EV and polluter modes

Post #52318 1st Mar 2011 5:04pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>