Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L405) > Auto hazard lights?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
ABAB

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue
Auto hazard lights?

Very early start this morning meant a drive in the dark. Had to come to an extremely abrupt stop as there was an unexpected fallen tree inter road but couldn’t swerve round as a car was approaching on other side.

All worked well including the braking distance being just right!

Just before I pulled away however I noticed that the hazard lights were switched on. Maybe I didn’t properly RTFM but I never knew that the car would switch these lights on, apparently in the event of a sudden stop. Seems like a good feature - just never knew about it. 2016 SDV8 AB

Post #493714 26th Oct 2018 5:38pm
Alistair

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

I'd heard that one, but good to know it works Thumbs Up

The other one is the handbrake will execute an emergency stop for you - I've not tried it on mine, but did have a go on a LR Experience day. Other than using it from the passenger seat, I'm not really sure of the point as I can't see me taking my hands off the wheel.....

Post #493716 26th Oct 2018 6:00pm
Flyingfocrs

Scotland 2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black

I stand to be corrected but standard on all cars now due to regulations.

The thinking is that in the event of hard emergency braking the automatic activation of the hazard flashers warns other drivers so they can react in time.

Post #493739 27th Oct 2018 8:43am
Flyingfocrs

Scotland 2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black

As with all EU regs its not readily readable :

The key document appears to be E/ECE/324 E/ECE/TRANS/505, Addendum 47, Regulation No. 48, Revision 6, dated June 2010.

‘Uniform provisions concerning the approval of vehicles with regard to the installation of lighting and light-signalling devices’ and, deep within it is contained the following definition:

2.28. "Emergency stop signal" means a signal to indicate to other road users to the rear of the vehicle that a high retardation force has been applied to the vehicle relative to the prevailing road conditions.

The document goes on to explain that it must be amber or red and that it must be a flashing light, and the automatic application of the hazard lights after an emergency stop is also described.

Further investigation reveals that details for the systems are laid out as follows.

6.23. EMERGENCY STOP SIGNAL

6.23.1. Presence

Optional

The emergency stop signal shall be given by the simultaneous operation of all the stop or direction-indicator lamps fitted as described in paragraph 6.22.7.

[followed by details as to the position and number of the lights]

6.23.7.1. All the lamps of the emergency stop signal shall flash in phase at a frequency of 4.0 ± 1.0 Hz.

6.23.7.1.1. However, if any of the lamps of the emergency stop signal to the rear of the vehicle use filament light sources the frequency shall be 4.0 +0.0/-1.0 Hz.

6.23.7.2. The emergency stop signal shall operate independently of other lamps.

6.23.7.3. The emergency stop signal shall be activated and deactivated automatically.

6.23.7.3.1. The emergency stop signal shall be activated only when the vehicle speed is above 50 km/h and the braking system is providing the emergency braking logic signal defined in Regulations Nos. 13 and 13-H.

6.23.7.3.2. The emergency stop signal shall be automatically deactivated if the emergency braking logic signal as defined in Regulations Nos. 13 and 13-H is no longer provided or if the hazard warning signal is activated.

Post #493740 27th Oct 2018 8:51am
GGDR

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Stornoway Grey

Explains the hazards coming on in this well posted escapade:

. Cheers, Greg
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
2011 Vogue SE 4.4 with lots of toys in Stornaway

Post #493754 27th Oct 2018 12:32pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1