Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > General > Father to be needs an economical, reliable run-about
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Peterg

United Kingdom 
Father to be needs an economical, reliable run-about

So I decided on a Full Fat RR of course!

Hi All, FFRR newbie here. So I’ve always wanted an RR and a L322 in particular. And impending fatherhood now gives me a reason to do it. Plus my current car is a w129 Mercedes SL which doesn’t really score too highly on childseat compatibility.

So wanted a point of view on where to spend my money.

Here’s my criteria and conundrum:

- Has to be a V8 petrol because 1) it does and 2) I live in relatively central London and hence the new emissions rules make diesel a no go. But also needs to be 2007 or after for a petrol version
- Obviously whatever I buy, I’ll be after something looked after with FSH. I have always bought privately rather than trade
- It’s going to be parked on the street in London which means bird poo, bump parking and that’s before the baby has reaked havoc on the interior
- Only going to do about 6000 miles a year so I can live with the horrific fuel consumption
- Max budget is circa £20k. But equally I’d be happy just spending £10k – which as I see it leaves me with 2 options:

Spend £20k ish on a late model 5l supercharged with something like 60-80k on the clock. Or spend quite a lot less on a circa 2008 4.2 supercharged with nearer 100k on the clock, there seem to be plenty in the £10k budget here.

Anyone got any advice on which way to go? Other than buy the most sorted one I see, irrespective of price and age.

Should age and high miles scare me off? I’ve read that that 2007-09 era are the pick of the whole L322 lifecycle? Thanks in advance for any thoughts!

Pete.

Post #494810 6th Nov 2018 6:26pm
stu1

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Java Black

I don't want to put you off, but with regards to the fuel consumption, you only used the word 'horrific', which may be a bit mild; especially if you are in a lot of stop-start traffic - you may well end up with a single digit MPG Very Happy

Post #494812 6th Nov 2018 6:51pm
Full Fattie

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.2 SC V8 Zambezi Silver

I used fatherhood as a good excuse for a 4.2 SC earlier this year and I’ve got to say it’s great. Loving how the car drives and the practicality of it.

Post #494827 6th Nov 2018 8:12pm
rar110

Australia 2008 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Atacama Sand

V8 petrol FFRR and economical don’t really go together. Have you thought about a high end discovery sport or last of the FL2 HSE Lux. An Evoque is not big enough I don’t think. ______________________________
Vogue tdv8 08MY poverty pack - wow

Post #494840 6th Nov 2018 9:38pm
Full Fattie

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.2 SC V8 Zambezi Silver

An Evoque will be easily big enough for what you need. Although t seems you’re looking for an excuse to get a FF, and what better excuse could there be than putting your child’s safety first.

Post #494859 7th Nov 2018 8:18am
steptoe

England 
Re: Father to be needs an economical, reliable run-about

Peterg wrote:

- Has to be a V8 petrol because 1) it does and 2) I live in relatively central London and hence the new emissions rules make diesel a no go. But also needs to be 2007 or after for a petrol version

Be very very careful. At the moment 2007 is the cut off point for petrol but that'll be changing in the very near future along with the area of the zone.

Post #494879 7th Nov 2018 11:09am
GGDR

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Stornoway Grey

Go for the 5.0. You'll get the last (best) of the 322 with features like the TFT dash, adaptive suspension, all sorts. Many of the 5.0s in this age range MY10-MY12 are AB's so will be well appointed. Read the L322 buyers guide, tons to watch out for which getting educated is the best strategy.
. Cheers, Greg
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
2011 Vogue SE 4.4 with lots of toys in Stornaway

Post #494884 7th Nov 2018 1:02pm
Peterg

United Kingdom 
Re: Father to be needs an economical, reliable run-about

Unnecessary quote removed

Thanks for this - as far as I know the 2021 rules which come into play will see anyone living within the N/S Circular needing either a Euro4 petrol or Euro 6 diesel to avoid any surcharges. And both Supercharged cars are Euro 4, whereas neither diesel is Euro 6. Hence needing a petrol.

Appreciate rules might change again the future but this would suggest I would be OK for the next 4-5 years at least.

Post #494912 7th Nov 2018 5:00pm
northernmonkeyjones

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black

if you are not fussed about price/age, I would personally go for the later car, as it has a couple more toys, and is the "newer" car, hence less wear and tear.

if you can find one dont discount the 4.4 Ajv8 engined 07-09 version. its a great engine, somewhat rarer than the 4.2 SC, but would remove the SC from the reliability equation......not that much goes wrong with the SC...... Just adds another search option to the list Thumbs Up There is nothing that can't be fixed with a hammer😜😜
FFRR 4.4 SDV8 Autobiography Santorini Black.
Fiat 500x 1.4 multiair Lounge 2015
2010 LR D4 Commercial 2.7 TDV6

Post #494932 7th Nov 2018 8:13pm
Dickie

United Kingdom 

Quote:

Go for the 5.0. You'll get the last (best) of the 322 with features like the TFT dash, adaptive suspension, all sorts. Many of the 5.0s in this age range MY10-MY12 are AB's so will be well appointed. Read the L322 buyers guide, tons to watch out for which getting educated is the best strategy.

Have to agree with this - as it's what I did just over a year ago! Unfortunately if £20k is your max budget then I think you'll struggle to find a FSH looked after/low-medium mileage example. I'd say warranty is critical, and if still under LR approved then that's your gold plated option.

I am bias as I'm selling my 5L, but all the criteria above is what led me to buy mine in the first place so still applies - I've got a new car on order hence selling mine now. Good luck.[/quote][/quote] 2011 5L SC Autobiography (For Sale!)

Post #494981 8th Nov 2018 10:27am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1