Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays > Switching from single axle to twin
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
stu1

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Java Black
Switching from single axle to twin

We've just traded in our 2014 Bailey Vigo for a 2019 Cartagena - the Vigo is single axle and the Cartagena is a twin.

Having never had a twin before I understand they are better/more stable to tow at speed (even though there was no problem towing the Vigo).

However, I'm slightly concerned about 'pitching up' - in particular the behaviour when reversing. Anyone have any experience of switching? Any problems manoeuvring a twin whilst coupled up to the FF?

Cheers Thumbs Up

Post #496562 25th Nov 2018 11:18am
AJGalaxy2012

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 V8 Bonatti Grey

Towing a twin is a dream, manoeuvring by hand nigh on impossible, reversing on the car no problem, no different to a single axle BUT a motor mover is pretty much essential (even if you can reverse).

Stability is superb, you may get a little more nodding up and down on roads that aren't good, punctures no problem, every time time for me I didn't know until someone waived me down. Changing wheels is easy, drive the good wheel up a levelling ramp, swap the wheels drive down again, no jack needed.

Motor mover get a full AWD on not a two wheel one.

Talk to the insurers about wheel locks, mine wanted two alko locks to be fitted, when I asked to fit only one it cost £16 per year extra, well worth it and no grief on site.

Enjoy. BMW i3 Electric Car
2012 Full Fat RR 4.4 TDV8 (now gone)
2006 VW Touareg 3.0 TDi V6

Post #496611 25th Nov 2018 6:42pm
Huwrhys

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

What he said ^ Thumbs Up

Post #496628 25th Nov 2018 8:17pm
northernmonkeyjones

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black

Yes fitting 2 locks is a pita, but there is a knack, involving a small bottle jack......👍🏻

Towing a twin is not any different from a single axle, if you can reverse a single axle you will not struggle with a twin but as said Maneuvering by hand is impossible. There is nothing that can't be fixed with a hammer😜😜
FFRR 4.4 SDV8 Autobiography Santorini Black.
Fiat 500x 1.4 multiair Lounge 2015
2010 LR D4 Commercial 2.7 TDV6

Post #496638 25th Nov 2018 9:21pm
AJGalaxy2012

Small bottle jack isnt worth the hassle, just pay £15 per year not to have the second lock. If you use the jack, how does it work on a slope i.e. you need the handbrake on so you cant turn the wheel anyway. BMW i3 Electric Car

Post #496639 25th Nov 2018 9:29pm
northernmonkeyjones

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black

agree paying the 15 extra is the easiest way to go. and no you can't do it on a slop, as the caravan will roll off....... There is nothing that can't be fixed with a hammer😜😜
FFRR 4.4 SDV8 Autobiography Santorini Black.
Fiat 500x 1.4 multiair Lounge 2015
2010 LR D4 Commercial 2.7 TDV6

Post #496640 25th Nov 2018 10:15pm
IanV8

Scotland 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Santorini Black

Get the E&P self levelling fitted, dead easy to raise both wheels and makes setting up dead easy. I’ve had it for over 3 years now and won’t have a van without it in the future.

Ian

Post #496654 26th Nov 2018 10:20am
TJH1985

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Java Black

Twin axle Swift 645 Elegance here - its a dream to tow! No comparison to single axle as everything we have towed has been twin however.

Alko wheel locks are a breeze to fit on site with one of these : https://www.locknlevel.co.uk

We mainly use it on CL's so have never bothered with motor movers, plenty of room usually and the FF can easily push it around into place. But its certainly true, by hand you'll only ever push it forwards / backwards.

Post #496678 26th Nov 2018 4:03pm
SinbadRose

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Stornoway Grey

Hi,

Double axel is the same as a single for reversing, but if on grass and its wet, you can have the wardens moaning a little as it will chew the ground up more, and a mover I would say is a must for some of the sites we use.

You should have TPMS on the caravan (we have the 2017 Cartagena), make sure you have the temp and pressure warnings set right, better to have a warning than a possible blow out and possible damage to the tyre/caravan.

We do use a lock and level, just align the rear one, put the lock and level next to the wheels, move it forward, slide it under, put the van back over and it takes about 5 minutes to get both locks on. If on a slight hill, put the first lock on while its not pumped up, leave the mover attached to that axel (need a double, a single I don’t think is good enough, even though they say it is), that will stop the caravan from moving without having to put the handbrake on. Pump it up, make sure the valve to the 2nd air bag is closed so just the rear goes up, that lifts the front wheel, once up, stick the lock on, then handbrake, then open the valves to let the air out to level.

Post #496687 26th Nov 2018 4:45pm
AJGalaxy2012

You cant leave a mover on with auto engage!

I still maintain it's not worth the hassle for £16 per year. In reality if thieves remove one Alko lock, two wont cause them an issue. BMW i3 Electric Car

Post #496706 26th Nov 2018 6:53pm
SinbadRose

Our old Wyoming had an auto, and you are right, but ours is manual, picked it for this reason, as well as being quicker to put on and off, but then again, the auto one we had had done a number of miles and a number of years, so could be a factor.

Post #496714 26th Nov 2018 8:08pm
V8 Bob

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Ipanema Sand

Biggest issue maybe where you store the van. I need to spin mine through 180 degrees in the yard which is just over 5ft wider than the van is long single axle is fine on the mover but mate says he couldn’t do same with his twin axle as it “jumps” and would take multiple goes to achieve what is basically a single movement with the single axle. Agree towing is better with a twin axle from previous experience.

Post #496728 26th Nov 2018 10:19pm
stu1

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Java Black

Thanks folks - some great info and tips Thumbs Up

Post #496732 26th Nov 2018 10:48pm
SinbadRose

You may have issues in a very tight space as the wheels are turning against each other, so it causes the tyres to bulge out in different directions. If on a good surface, you could use the jock wheel to raise the front a little to help off set it, but then you are not getting all four wheels working fully, but it can be done.

Post #496734 26th Nov 2018 11:16pm
Huwrhys

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

The way movers work on AWD systems is the outside pair run continuously whilst the inside ones pulse on then off. This reduces the binding /locking up of the wheels by running in a forward motion whilst turning. Single axle vans will spin within their own length as no tyre scrubbing occurs. Despite this issue I have never been anywhere I couldn't get out of and I've covered a hell of a lot of sites all over Europe. The Italian sites can be very tight but even so I've maneuvered the van within inches of trees and obstacles with the movers without any real drama at all. Don't concern yourself about putting the van where you want, FFRR are by far the best tug you'll find anywhere on this earth and will direct your van wherever you need it. The movers will do the stuff your car can't. Jobs a goodun.
Thumbs Up

Post #496738 27th Nov 2018 12:02am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>