Home > Technical (L322) > New air spring leak
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Snowy90 L322

United Kingdom 2004 Range Rover HSE Td6 Giverny Green
New air spring leak

Hi,
So i just replaced a split air spring, i just wanted to replace the spring rather than the whole strut unit, but it appears i have a leak, the car works fine it goes up and down fine but when left the new corner gradually deflates and looks wonky then over night the whole car will lower at the front.

I had a question about the 5 small o rings and placement and found a site that said put them at the top just below the thread in a nylon rubber nylon rubber nylon.

The air line connection i reused the old one as that seemed sound.

The larger rings and rubber seemed to squash up into the seat of the air spring so i guess they kinda find their own position?

Has anyone had experience of just changing the air bag and had leaks?

Whats the best way to determine where its coming from?

I am going to remove it again on Sunday Big Cry but ideally a few pointers of where to focus on would be good.

Thanks in advance.

Chris

Post #497119 30th Nov 2018 11:15am
gg2201

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Santorini Black

The bf changed mine with an Arnott replacement the instructions were incredibly clear and easy to follow. This was on a 2011 TDV8.

Essentially the larger O-rings that sit on the body of the gas strut and forms the seal between the body of the bag/strut. They went in a particular order. Then the bump stop and relevant washers. He sprayed the seals with some silicone spray so he was able to push the body of the air spring down over the seals as they were incredibly tight/sealing. The Arnott kit gave you a replacement air line connection. Then it was on with the rest of the nuts etc....

I can dig out the Arnott instructions if you like and post them. It might not be exactly the same as your kit but give you something to go by? Very Happy 2011 4.4 TDV8 Autobiography

Post #497128 30th Nov 2018 1:11pm
Robert

France 2007 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Zambezi Silver

Yep having the same problem. Started with just replacing the airbag. Bought from aerosus in germany, turned out to be leaking like a basket. They refunded me, but the garagehours were not their problem. Then bought an entire shock and air spring from maxpeed.fr After assembling it on the car, they said there was a very small leak on the top. When I went looking and turned the steeringwheel the system emptied itself and the car fell back on its' bump. Maxspeed did not reply to my mail at first. After second mail from me they came back with all kind of questions to make it as difficult as possible. Well , they wanted proof on video, so I put in on youtube, within 12 hours I had a reply. "If i wanted a replacement" I learned something, I knew allready but was forgotten. Never go for the cheap stuff, now ordered the good quality part, twice as expensive and hope it will do the job. Waiting for the part now. Good luck with your challenge

Some aircushions have a rim inside where it shoud not be, apparently this is the culpritt. First pic is aerosus part second pic is LR part

Click image to enlarge

here are my youtubes:

and here:

beware of the fact that I'm not a tech at all.

Post #497135 30th Nov 2018 2:08pm
Snowy90 L322

Its a delphi air spring from island 4x4 which is supposed to be OEM, but when i tear it down again i will check.
All new seals in the same order but it wasnt clear about the top small o rings and nylon rings.

I did re-use the air connection as it looked sound and wasnt sure how to fit a new one to the pipe?

Post #497142 30th Nov 2018 4:39pm
Snowy90 L322

ok so its been a few weeks as no time to strip it back down and check all of the seals.

However going to do it today BUT now I have an air suspension inactive fault, no lights on the height adjustment switch, so my concern is i cannot test it when i get it all back together.

Trying a hard reset of the ecu just in case but pretty sure that wont work.

Is it only a diagnostic tool that will work?

Post #498892 17th Dec 2018 12:47pm
Joe90

England 

You might be lucky with a battery disconnection and steering wheel left to right, but if EAS SUSP INACTIVE and lights off on the dash, then usually diagnostics and code resetting are required. .
Experience is the only genuine knowledge, but as time passes, I have forgotten more than I can remember Wink
Volvo V70 P2 2006 2.4 Petrol 170bhp Estate SE
MG Midget Mk1 1962

Previous: L322 Range Rover TDV8 3.6 2008; L322 Range Rover TD6 3.0 2002; P38A Range Rover V8 1999

Post #498898 17th Dec 2018 1:30pm
Robert

maybe it doesn't help much, but we tried it all even with the Delphi software the reset did not work. Hard reset, no use, steeringwheel left right no use, I've ordered a IID tool from Dan. Hope that will work.
wish you strength Neutral

Post #498900 17th Dec 2018 1:31pm
Snowy90 L322

IID tool ordered!
Blimey, always wanted one now i have a good excuse!

Post #498909 17th Dec 2018 2:28pm
Robert

Thumbs Up

Post #498912 17th Dec 2018 2:34pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1