Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > Front mounted towbar.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
elpeede

England 2003 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Zambezi Silver
Front mounted towbar.

Ok , I'll be the first to say I'm not overjoyed by the sight of a towbar on Rangies. My rear removable one came with no key Rolling Eyes so sits on all the time.

I'm looking for any experiences folks have had with front mounted towvbars. We have a large twin axle van.. and while I'd love to shell out £1400 for a motor mover, unfortunately the recent replacement gearbox killed that idea off for the forseeable future.

I thought it may prove useful on tight pitches where sticking your shoulder in is just not a n option due to the weight of the van or slope of a pitch.

So observations please Very Happy 2010 Disco XS TDV6, 2009 Freelander 2 GS

Previous Landrover products -1990 110 TDI CSW, 2003 TD6 Vogue - RRC TD Vogue, RRC v8 Fleetline, Disco ES V8 LPG, 101 Ambulance "Morph", 1964 SIIa Auto Powered by Jag 4.2 Lump - "Percy".

Post #52704 3rd Mar 2011 4:05pm
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

found this , 5th item/price down..

http://www.westerntowing.co.uk/acatalog/La...wbars.html

as regards to your non-detachable towbar, you can take the bolt out and remove the whole unit [as i have done].. ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO ΖŽκ“•βˆ€κ“•Oκ“€ PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #52708 3rd Mar 2011 4:11pm
dan_uk_1984

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Tonga Green

scarey wrote:
as regards to your non-detachable towbar, you can take the bolt out and remove the whole unit [as i have done]..

Agreed - if you're going to steal it, you may as well steal the whole unit! 

Post #52710 3rd Mar 2011 4:17pm
nick h

2005 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Tonga Green
Re: Front mounted towbar.

elpeede wrote:
Ok , I'll be the first to say I'm not overjoyed by the sight of a towbar on Rangies. My rear removable one came with no key Rolling Eyes so sits on all the time.

I'm looking for any experiences folks have had with front mounted towvbars. We have a large twin axle van.. and while I'd love to shell out £1400 for a motor mover, unfortunately the recent replacement gearbox killed that idea off for the forseeable future.

I thought it may prove useful on tight pitches where sticking your shoulder in is just not a n option due to the weight of the van or slope of a pitch.

So observations please Very Happy

funny how opinions differ?

to me i'm proud of my rear towbar Smile

says, yes i'm using the car as designed Laughing

needless to say i do NOT tow a caravan but a trailer for my offroad mobility buggy that i use for fishing due to disability Smile

Last edited by nick h on 3rd Mar 2011 4:23pm. Edited 2 times in total

Post #52711 3rd Mar 2011 4:19pm
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

these peeps do them as well..

http://www.watling-towbars.co.uk/towbars.html ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO ΖŽκ“•βˆ€κ“•Oκ“€ PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #52712 3rd Mar 2011 4:20pm
nbunney

United Kingdom 

I have both swan neck and fixed plate, but they both stay in the garage until needed.

Watling I have come across before, but not western towing.

Or you could go on a course on reversing Whistle

Post #52720 3rd Mar 2011 4:53pm
elpeede

I've one in the post off e-wotsit. Just looking for users views Thumbs Up

Noted I could pull the one off the back completely.. but it gets regular use so kind of self defeating, Also saved me a new rer bumper couple of months back Twisted Evil 2010 Disco XS TDV6, 2009 Freelander 2 GS

Previous Landrover products -1990 110 TDI CSW, 2003 TD6 Vogue - RRC TD Vogue, RRC v8 Fleetline, Disco ES V8 LPG, 101 Ambulance "Morph", 1964 SIIa Auto Powered by Jag 4.2 Lump - "Percy".

Post #52721 3rd Mar 2011 4:54pm
nick h

2005 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Tonga Green

elpeede wrote:
I've one in the post off e-wotsit. Just looking for users views Thumbs Up

Noted I could pull the one off the back completely.. but it gets regular use so kind of self defeating, Also saved me a new rer bumper couple of months back Twisted Evil

yes, the towbar is an excellent 'rear protection system' Smile

hell, if a Prius drove onto the towbar and got stuck you could drive several hundred miles at 100mph+ and never realised you were 'towing' it

Post #52725 3rd Mar 2011 5:10pm
elpeede

Rolling Eyes Laughing no need for a course.. I just need the extra flexibility a front towbar affords given the wheels on the car closest to the tow point are steerable rather than fixed. The Pitches in Italy and Biarritz get quite tight as David will be aware (he spotted us there last summer). Thumbs Up 2010 Disco XS TDV6, 2009 Freelander 2 GS

Post #52726 3rd Mar 2011 5:13pm
Havank

United Kingdom 2003 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Java Black

How long is yoru double axle trailer? as you know the longer they are , the easier it is Laughing

Post #52727 3rd Mar 2011 5:13pm
Gazellio @ Prestige Cars

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover SE Td6 Zermatt Silver

Talking of "Tight" Italian Camping pitches we arrived in our 8.2m Frankia i820RD at "Camping Del La Mare" (Bartholomu De Mare - Italian Riviera) at 11.30pm after an 8 hour drive from Davos (Mountain Route) to be confronted with a tight hairpin down a steep slope to a tight entrance to site then was confronted with this and our Van' is 2.80m wide:

Click image to enlarge

Once jammed in through the tunnel (2 inches either side and roof) it was quickly obvious the right angle site roads where simply to tight for 28 foot plus Van' but after a 480 point reverse turn we were able to back up the "path" and drive into this:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

In the morning it turned out to be worth the hassle as next to our pitch we had this:

Click image to enlarge

However I spent the next four days pondering how I was going to get out and walked the route many times before deciding it was impossible! In the end we got out and through the tunnel but only after a lot of sweat and tears.... Big Cry

Post #52731 3rd Mar 2011 5:36pm
elpeede

Rolling with laughter

7.8m .. with a width of 7 feet track to turn it 90 degrees on to a pitch 8m long (so you have 20 cm to shuffle in, obstacles on the opposite sides being other caravan hitches waiting to tear the sides out of your car, and stationary unattended vehicles. Generally you are right .. twin axles though are somewhat more difficult to pitch just so as they don't turn on a sixpence once disconnected from the vehicle, unlike a single axle. Its the finer pitch manouvering that can't be done with the vehicle connected generally and is typically done with a motor mover (see my first post) or by generally putting several peoples backs out (I have a whole range of T-shirts). Even with motor movers fitted a twin axle can't 360 on its own axis which a single axle can.. if of course you felt the need.

Getting on UK Pitches is never an issue, which speaks volumes of the UK weather. I have to say the tightest pitches in Europe I have been on are in Italy. 2010 Disco XS TDV6, 2009 Freelander 2 GS

Post #52732 3rd Mar 2011 5:45pm
Gazellio @ Prestige Cars

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover SE Td6 Zermatt Silver

And our Frankia is "Twin Axle" as well.... Censored

Post #52733 3rd Mar 2011 5:49pm
Tim in Scotland

Location: Somewhere between here and there, if not then I'm all at sea or at home in Scotland

2010 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

I've never seen a FFRR L322 with a front tow bar................... could it be that you have to hack too much body away to get to a strong enough piece of car to fix a front tow hook too? Even though one of those sites says no need to cut body panels I wouldn't want to hack a bit out of the sump guard. I know plenty of folks with them on Defenders and Shoguns. 2018 Mini Countryman Cooper S E All4 PHEV in Melting Silver - it’s whisper quiet in EV and polluter modes

Post #52737 3rd Mar 2011 5:57pm
nbunney

United Kingdom 

Watling say no cut Rolling Eyes

Post #52760 3rd Mar 2011 6:48pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>