Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > dirty windscreen - interior?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
nick h

2005 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Tonga Green
dirty windscreen - interior?

i notice the interior of the windscreen soon gets 'dirty'

are there any filters that could need replacing?

thanks in anticipation

Post #54055 11th Mar 2011 12:13pm
47p2

Scotland 

There's a pollon filter under the windscreen wiper panel

Post #54056 11th Mar 2011 12:17pm
nick h

47p2 wrote:

thanks Thumbs Up

Post #54057 11th Mar 2011 12:21pm
dan_uk_1984

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Tonga Green

This often happens if the window steams up at all, as the moisture allows bacteria to grow - it's the dead bacteria that you can then see.

First of all cleanse the screen thoroughly with an alcohol based cleaner (most glass cleaners are) you should probably do this twice. Use a fresh MF cloth for each half of the screen and change between cleans so use 4 in total.

Make sure that your MF has been washed prior to this so can't have contaminants on and DO NOT use fabric conditioner on them as this ruins them. For cloths specifically used for cleaning glass put white vinegar in the conditioner drawer, and normal detergent in the other bit obv.

Sorry if the above is teaching you to suck eggs!

Obv I don't need to tell you to leave the A/C on all the time because you've heard it far too many times already Smile It may be worth checking to make sure it's working correctly though - find the high/low pressure pips in the engine bay (silver/aluminium, one small, one fat) one will be hot, one will be super cold. If no difference between the two then you need a re-gas. 

Post #54058 11th Mar 2011 12:25pm
dan_uk_1984

nick h wrote:
47p2 wrote:

thanks Thumbs Up

BTW - this is accessed from outside under the bonnet - be carefull with the flap that holds it in. They get sun-baked and brittle.

D 

Post #54059 11th Mar 2011 12:26pm
nick h

dan_uk_1984 wrote:
This often happens if the window steams up at all, as the moisture allows bacteria to grow - it's the dead bacteria that you can then see.

First of all cleanse the screen thoroughly with an alcohol based cleaner (most glass cleaners are) you should probably do this twice. Use a fresh MF cloth for each half of the screen and change between cleans so use 4 in total.

Make sure that your MF has been washed prior to this so can't have contaminants on and DO NOT use fabric conditioner on them as this ruins them. For cloths specifically used for cleaning glass put white vinegar in the conditioner drawer, and normal detergent in the other bit obv.

Obv I don't need to tell you to leave the A/C on all the time because you've heard it far too many times already Smile It may be worth checking to make sure it's working correctly though - find the high/low pressure pips in the engine bay (silver/aluminium, one small, one fat) one will be hot, one will be super cold. If no difference between the two then you need a re-gas.

thanks Dan

i'll use IPA to clean the glass

and excellent comment about avoiding fabric conditioner on MF cloths - i did know this from my detailing days - as the vinegar!

i wash all my 'best' MF cloths with 'Granny's' pure soap flakes (available from Tesco)

the 'dead bacteria' makes sense as it seems quite 'greasy'

Last edited by nick h on 11th Mar 2011 12:37pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #54061 11th Mar 2011 12:35pm
dan_uk_1984

nick h wrote:
dan_uk_1984 wrote:

thanks Dan

and excellent comment about avoiding fabric conditioner on MF cloths - i did know this from my detailing days - as the vinegar!

i wash all my 'best' MF cloths with 'Granny's' pure soap flakes (available from Tesco)

Upon your recommendation I will try this! I think you need to update the WiKi Detailing section with a "care of Microfiber Cloths" section! 

Post #54062 11th Mar 2011 12:37pm
nick h

dan_uk_1984 wrote:
nick h wrote:
dan_uk_1984 wrote:

thanks Dan

Upon your recommendation I will try this! I think you need to update the WiKi Detailing section with a "care of Microfiber Cloths" section!

thanks Dan

when i have a spare hour i'll do a write up on microfibre cloths and hopefully save people money

some sold through 'detailing shops' are ridiculously priced

i still use the yellow costco cloths for 99% of all my cleaning/detailing

i do have a couple of super dupa cloths from the US that i use for final wax polish

Post #54064 11th Mar 2011 12:42pm
nick h

any suggestions on pollen filters?

the 'powerful' one on fleabay looks good at £19 delivered and is a carbon impregnated version

Post #54070 11th Mar 2011 12:59pm
dan_uk_1984

nick h wrote:
any suggestions on pollen filters?

the 'powerful' one on fleabay looks good at £19 delivered and is a carbon impregnated version

You don't need Carbon Impregnated as the pollution sensor on the front of the car closed the outside vent whenever there are nasty smells.

Probably this one?
http://www.lrdirect.com/jmo000010-pollen-filter/ at just over £11 

Post #54071 11th Mar 2011 1:02pm
47p2

Scotland 

How to change the filter Clicky

Post #54072 11th Mar 2011 1:05pm
nick h

thanks Dan Thumbs Up

Post #54073 11th Mar 2011 1:07pm
nick h

47p2 wrote:

thanks - hence why i asked about the 'powerful' one Smile

Post #54074 11th Mar 2011 1:08pm
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

47p2 wrote:

fair play to these chaps , they do some really good 'how to videos'.... ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #54106 11th Mar 2011 4:21pm
Powerful UK

United Kingdom 2002 Range Rover HSE 4.4 V8 Oslo Blue

Hi - thanks for the feedback on the video - not high budget productions but hopefully clear.

hope the video helps even if you don't buy the filter from us.

Just one point i wanted to add is that the carbon filter does help absorb odours that may arise from in the cabin for example if you have dogs or don't use the car for periods of time.

Hope this helps

Simon

Post #57445 29th Mar 2011 10:38pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>