Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > 4.4 tdV8 Starter motor investigation.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 5 <12345>
Print this entire topic · 
Siftah

Spain 2011 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

So I finally got this all cleaned up and back together, refitted. All in all it took me way more than 3 hours, more like 7 or 8!

In the end I loosened the drop-links for the sway bar on both sides, then used straps to hold the bar down in it's lowest position in order to get enough clearance to get the starter motor out through the side of the subframe.

The next challenge is breaking the spot weld on the starter motor, a bit of wiggling and then some gentle persuasion with a chisel managed to break it, without damaging the internals.

Click image to enlarge

Once I'd opened up the solenoid it was pretty apparent what the issue is.

Using a file and some wet 'n' dry paper, I cleaned up the copper contacts and made sure they were about level as possible. One was more worn than the other, though they needed a little balancing out.

After putting it all back together it started up on the button, about five times in a row, so I'm hopeful this'll be the end of it for a few miles.

It's obvious the solenoid contacts were in bad shape, but also the external contacts for the trigger wire and main power cable were pretty nasty and corroded - I would expect a combination of things meant it wasn't working well.

Thanks to everyone who's posted on here with help and info, you're all legends.

Post #667064 19th Jun 2023 9:35pm
GGDR

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Stornoway Grey

Wow Siftah, well done!

I bought a spare used starter and I am trying to get the black solenoid cover off, could you pls elaborate on this

Quote:
The next challenge is breaking the spot weld on the starter motor, a bit of wiggling and then some gentle persuasion with a chisel managed to break it, without damaging the internals.
 Cheers, Greg
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
2011 Vogue SE 4.4 with lots of toys in Stornaway

Post #667074 19th Jun 2023 10:51pm
Siftah

Well, there's basically three nuts holding the cover on, but then two electrodes that protrude through the cover, one just slides in but the second is the difficult one - pictures above with the chisel next to it.

That one is bent around and back on itself and then spot welded.

I was able to wiggle the bottom bit free (it looks like only the top bit is spot welded). Then I used a chisel to carefully prise the top part of the spot weld free - couple of gentle taps with the hammer and some wiggling and it broke.

It's a bit delicate but it's do-able. To re-fit I just re-bent the tab around and put some solder into it to make the electrical connection. There shouldn't be too much strain or movement there so it should be ok.

Not much else to say!

Post #667075 19th Jun 2023 11:07pm
GGDR

thx Siftah, I got it off. no breakages!
did you remove the propeller shaped copper contact to clean it?

. Cheers, Greg
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Post #667159 20th Jun 2023 10:55pm
dhallworth

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Baltic Blue

I’ve only just seen this thread.

You can easily remove the starter motor from these in 30 minutes from underneath the car without removing anything other than the undertray.

I’ve done it on ours and with a bit of wiggling and manipulating you can get the starter out through the gaps in the subframe.

I’m lucky to have a ramp to do ours on but if you get jack the front up and get it on axle stands the same should be possible.

David. 2002 4.6 Vogue SE - Alveston Red with Lightstone Leather
2007 Range Rover Supercharged in Java Black with Ivory Leather
2012 Range Rover 5.0 SC Autobiography in Indus Silver with Jet/Ivory Interior
2012 Range Rover 4.4 TDV8 Autobiography in Baltic Blue with Sand Interior

Post #667165 20th Jun 2023 11:22pm
Siftah

GGDR wrote:
thx Siftah, I got it off. no breakages!
did you remove the propeller shaped copper contact to clean it?

I did mate, I stripped it right now and cleaned all the threads and surfaces that contact each other.

Have a look at this video he gives a great set of instructions; &t=629s

Especially the bit about taping everything up to avoid getting copper dust in everything!

Post #667187 21st Jun 2023 7:55am
Siftah

dhallworth wrote:
I’ve only just seen this thread.

You can easily remove the starter motor from these in 30 minutes from underneath the car without removing anything other than the undertray.

I’ve done it on ours and with a bit of wiggling and manipulating you can get the starter out through the gaps in the subframe.

I’m lucky to have a ramp to do ours on but if you get jack the front up and get it on axle stands the same should be possible.

David.

It did look like it should fit, but I couldn't get it too tbh. I concentrated on getting it out through the side as that's what I'd seen recommended though, so perhaps I didn't spend long enough trying to get it out through the bottom, dunno Laughing

Post #667188 21st Jun 2023 7:58am
GGDR

I can't work out how to remove the propellor-shaped contact but don't think I need to.
I didn't know about the masking tape so I will blow it all out and hope for the best.

how about the textured / knurled surfaces vs the smooth? Siftah you went smooth for both and the guy in the video did too.

Why do we think there is a knurled surface there? (and not on the other side)?

EDIT: the guy that posted the video said in a subsequent film that his fix lasted two weeks. He then looked to upgrade the supply cable. Cheers, Greg

Post #667810 28th Jun 2023 8:10pm
Siftah

I went for smooth as it's what he did in the video and I have no easy way of creating a knurled surface.

It seems more logical it should be flat in order to make a good contact, but I'd also not spotted his follow-up video...

I've probably started the car about 20 times since doing it and it's still working great, even with the battery in a low state of charge. I had lots of corrosion around the trigger wire contacts that I also cleaned up, but I can see why the trigger wire mod is done, it looks far too thin to me and I've got some wire and protective tubing ready now, so will do that mod if/when I have any issues :\

** EDIT ** You said supply cable not the trigger cable. I thought the supply cable looked pretty beefy to be honest, the posts in the other threads here seem to concentrate on the trigger wire as being the issue...

** EDIT NUMBER 2, last one, promise **

Yup, just watched the video and he's talking about the trigger wire rather than the supply wire. I think whilst you've got the car apart, it's worth doing this - I was a bit pressed for time and didn't have the cable shielding available so didn't do it. He runs his wire without any protection which I would not advise, personally!

Post #667815 28th Jun 2023 10:06pm
GGDR

Siftah yes trigger cable sorry Cheers, Greg

Post #668183 3rd Jul 2023 7:25am
GGDR

Guys what kind of contact grease should I apply to the cleaned copper contacts?

I have some marine "Contra Lube 770", is it ok?

Quote:
CONTRALUBE 770 - THE TERMINAL CONNECTOR
Use Contralube 770 on all your electronic/electrical and signal/data connections. It will protect your connectors and terminals from moisture, corrosion, oxidation, dust, vibration etc.

Contralube770 was originally designed for the automotive industry. This state of the art grease can protect all your connections – multipin connections, spade contacts, battery connections, external antennae connections; pretty much everything electro/mechanical, its also compatible with most plastics.

Primarily it is an electrical contact grease but it can be used for loads of different jobs, such as: Electrical connections (multi-pin, bullet, spade etc), automotive bulbs contact areas, spark plug boots, distributor/ignition systems, hinges, locks, latches, trailer hitch electrical connections, springs, gears, seat tracks, battery terminals, door latches, antennas and much more....
 Cheers, Greg

Post #668184 3rd Jul 2023 7:27am
GGDR

just to update, I've now done this with a dead starter off ebay, took it apart, revitalised the contacts, used the contra-lube then finally got the car up on a jack on the weekend, wheel off, undertrays etc off and with some wrestling the starter came out through the triangle shaped subframe gap directly under the starter. The gap under the the arch where the anti-roll bar did not come close to letting the starter through. So far is't working a treat and a £30 fix so well pleased. Cheers, Greg

Last edited by GGDR on 24th Aug 2023 3:04pm. Edited 2 times in total

Post #671865 23rd Aug 2023 10:13pm
DeeJay

South Africa 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Fuji White

Can those that went ahead to file off / clean the solenoid copper contacts tell us if this is a lasting long term solution? If it needed to be done again, how long after? 2011 Vogue SE 4.4 TDV8

Post #671919 24th Aug 2023 1:34pm
GGDR

Having just done mine, I am wondering the same Smile Cheers, Greg

Post #671923 24th Aug 2023 3:01pm
Garymahoo

Scotland 

Click image to enlarge

Hi all. Not much of a poster but my local auto electrician did a refurb on mine after a reconditioned unit dies after a week. We had already done the trigger wire to try to eliminate that but hey ho.
After the death of the recon unit i out my denso starter to my local and he sourced a kit.
Im sure i was +/- £100 for the refurb and had no issues since (nearly a year)

Ive put of a picture of his suppliers book but he did say getting an account was a nightmare.

Hopefully some other auto electricians use the same supplier.

Im in N.E Scotland but if you want Daves details just ping me a P.m
Click image to enlarge

Post #672031 26th Aug 2023 2:35am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 4 of 5 <12345>