Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > Lunched TD6 transmission
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
SidewaysMatt

United Kingdom 2004 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Giverny Green
Lunched TD6 transmission

So the inevitable happened yesterday. It appears my TD6 transmission has imploded Big Cry

I was hoping I would dodge that bullet; the gearbox was rebuilt with a new TC just before i bought it 4 years ago at 120k miles. Unfortunately it looks like that rebuild may only have been good for 35k miles...

No obvious symptoms leading up to failure, although earlier this week my wife reckoned there was some knocking that you could hear from outside when manoeuvring in a car park.

I pulled away from some lights yesterday afternoon, it changed up into third, then there was an almighty bang, followed by a grinding/graunching noise when any throttle was applied. It slowly lost drive before coasting to a halt, with an eventual "trans failsafe" message on the dash. No drive in D, it tries to move in R but little drive accompanied by a knocking/thudding noise like something is jammed up.

So after a 4 hour (!) wait for the RAC, had it recovered to Birch Motors in Liverpool for a post-mortem. They seem to have a good reputation on here, so let's see what the verdict is. 2004 Vogue TD6 - Remapped Smile
2008 Porsche Cayenne S
1998 Lotus Elise

Post #529149 26th Sep 2019 12:04pm
Rosco

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Baltic Blue

That happened to me in my old TD6, same sound/symptons, was the TC and was repaired under warranty (many years ago). Birch know their stuff so I am sure Stuart will sort you out Thumbs Up

Post #529153 26th Sep 2019 12:25pm
Springer

United Kingdom 2003 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Galway Green

Hi let us know how you get on at Birch Motors may be needing them soon myself (price etc)
cheers
Peter

Post #529165 26th Sep 2019 2:37pm
SidewaysMatt

So the diagnosis is in (box in bits). Basically the gearbox ECU has had a brain fart, told the gearbox to go into engine braking mode as I was accelerating up through the gears. As you can imagine, this is a bad thing. 2004 Vogue TD6 - Remapped Smile
2008 Porsche Cayenne S
1998 Lotus Elise

Post #529643 1st Oct 2019 3:56am
SidewaysMatt

So this happens 2004 Vogue TD6 - Remapped Smile
2008 Porsche Cayenne S
1998 Lotus Elise

Post #529644 1st Oct 2019 3:57am
SidewaysMatt

Ok so the image upload doesn't work on mobile! 2004 Vogue TD6 - Remapped Smile
2008 Porsche Cayenne S
1998 Lotus Elise

Post #529645 1st Oct 2019 3:58am
SidewaysMatt

Ok so an update on all this.

So Stuart @ Birch Motors identified the fault mechanism based on having seen it a couple of times before. What happened was that as I was accelerating up through the gears, the gearbox ECU spuriously decided to put the gearbox in engine braking mode. Not good and obviously something has to give; in this case the intermediate shaft:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

"Unrolled like a bog roll" Very Happy

So the gearbox was fully rebuilt, obviously replacing the intermediate shaft too. A recon torque convertor was fitted, together with a second hand gearbox ECU.

However, all was still not well. 5 miles into the journey home, going through the Mersey Tunnel, "bong".... "Trans Failsafe Prog". Out the other side of the tunnel, pulled over, turned it off and on again and all was well.

Another couple of miles down the M53, same again. Decided to carry on a nurse it home, with only 4th gear.

Phoned Stuart, and arranged to get it recovered back to him. Initially back at Birch Motors it behaved itself. It was only when Stuart took it on an extended run up to motorway speeds that the same happened for him, immediately diagnosed as TC lockup.

So the box came off again and another recon TC fitted (from a different supplier).

Picked it up again on Tuesday. Initially all was well. However coming out of that tunnel again, noticed in 5th gear at ~40mph uphill, it was now shuddering, giving the classic "cattle grid" feel usually associated with a duff TC. As I got nearer home, this continued, accompanied by pretty harsh down changes when slowing for traffic lights.

Back on the phone to Stuart (he must be dreading seeing my number come up by now!), and decided that best first course of action was to bring it back and reset the adaptions on the second hand gearbox ECU and see if that helps.

So that was done this morning. The gear changes up and down the box are now silky smooth, almost imperceptible. However the cattle grid sensation continues between 40 & 50MPH in 5th, although not as bad as previously.

I'm going to put a few more (gentle) miles on it, see if the gearbox ECU calibrates it out and go from there.

Must point out though that Stuart and gang really seem to know their stuff and have been totally on the ball with making sure this gets resolved Thumbs Up 2004 Vogue TD6 - Remapped Smile
2008 Porsche Cayenne S
1998 Lotus Elise

Post #531261 17th Oct 2019 5:21pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1